Expand File System



Marc I must know. How much space have you taken up on your SD card so far?


As of yet I haven’t put anything on it.


Oh haha ok so thats a moot point. If you ever get more than 8 gigs on there and notice issues let me know.


When I was using my 64 gig card with an extended partition it would show that I had 50 some odd gigs available and about 7 gigs used. As soon as I had more than that, 8-9 gigs for example, it would prompt for a log in. Then I deleted those files over SFTP (fortunately it was still connecting to wifi on boot) and rebooted and it wouldn’t prompt anymore.

Now I have a 16 gig card that I did the following:

burned the original 8gig image to
Extended the partition with gparted on ubuntu VM
Transferred my files over
booted up for the first time (I think that might be the critical part)
Now I have 8.1gigs used of 14.4 and no problems
So as I mentioned I suspect the key was not booting it up the first time until I had already extended the partition. I think the file system expands on first boot and will allocate things based on the size of the volume at that moment and then not quite figure it out when you extend the partition later. You wont notice this issue in my experience until you have more than 8 gigs or so on your card.

Id love to have someone else test this. I am curious if it has anything to do with the size of the card as well. Maybe 64 gigs is too much without optimizations.


I had no problems re-partitioning a fresh install on a 64Gb card.
Used gparted on Debian through VirtualBox.


But the missing part is where you load 8 or 9 gigs at least and tell me if you have performance issues.


Do you mean 8 gigs of content, or 8 gigs total (if you go to settings storage it will show total)?

I am currently at 10.4 gigs, but I don’t see any issues.

What kinda of content are you loading?
I mean, if you load every (ok, most) version of every snes game, that only takes 4.13gb of space, but the gameshell needs to check 5,716 files.

If you are talking Sega CD games, a single game can be .5gb. So 10 gigs of those is only 20 games to check the extention of and list.

I am willing to upload a few more gigs of stuff, but it takes considerable time and I’ll need to curate my collection.


I have a ton of MAME, SNES, NES, GBA, BB/GBC, GG and NGPC roms. The MAME roms take up the most space. I wonder if the problem is having those folders in my Retro Games folder so the launcher has to display them… Not sure.


I think that might be your problem
Though, I’m not sure why it loads on a 16gb card rather than 64gb.
You might try the 64 gb card and disable the Mame action.config under retro games. You can still use retroarch (might be able to make a .sh that loads retroarch and the mame core instead of letting the menu handle it)


I just chose to be very selective about my mame roms. Now I only have about 8. I could create a second folder for the rest of my mame roms so the launcher doesnt try to display them. But the launcher doesn’t do anything with the file. It seems odd that the size of the file would matter. The number of files seems more likely.


I now have 22G/58G used. No problems with operation.



Thanks for all the help on this thread. Had a bit of growing pains moving through the steps, but got the 200GB card recognized. Overkill? Yeah, I’m gonna fill it up anyway. Will update on any negative performance issues as it stores more bits. But I don’t think I’ll get there anytime soon.

Here’s my tool list and quick steps for the process I used.

  1. Download ClockworkPi image. Write to SD card w/ Etcher on a Win10 machine.
  2. Loaded up a Virtual Box VM w/ Ubuntu and attached the drive. Yup, only partitioned 8GB.
  3. Used gParted to extend the partition to the max. Takes a while. Eject USB when done.
  4. Plug SD into GameShell, check out storage settings. Boom goes the dynamite.


You can help add another data point. Try to load as much content as you can and let us know if you experience any issues. If you can, try adding some additional consoles to the home screen with a significant library as well. Glad we were able to help! I’m sure as time goes on we can streamline this process. Some of these tools can be rewritten for the gameshell the way they have for the RaspiConfig menu on the Pi.