[extension] 4 usb hub extension board

I have created a USB hub as extension board (as replacement of 4G modem).
Currently only schematic is ready.

One can install this board as replacement of 4G modem and have 4 additional USB ports.

Repository link: argrento/uconsole-ext-usb-hub - uconsole-ext-usb-hub - Codeberg.org

Suggestions or errors? Please open a PR in repo Pull Requests - uconsole-ext-usb-hub - Codeberg.org or comment here.

13 Likes

This is really cool.
It seems like the 4G modem board, even unpopulated passively connects the speakers to the system. It would be neat if this board could do the same, so the speakers would be able to function as normal without needing to modify them.

2 Likes

See also:

(Which has unfortunately been buried and hidden in the shipping thread.)

4 Likes

Wow, this is awesome! I really think the uConsole for the will be paired with my phone, so I will always have WiFi at hand. Really cool projects, following this for sure!

2 Likes

I see the speakers are no longer supported with this module. Is there space to keep the contact pads for the speakers?

I’m also curious about the power draw on the 5v line. With 4 additional usb ports, how much more power draw can you put on the SYS_5V line through the SY7215 boost regulator and AXP228?

1 Like

did you patch the speakers through this board?

1 Like

Thanks for the comments.

I added speakers. Not sure about symbols and footprints yet.

About power consumption I am not sure. I see 2 main solutions.

1. Limit single port current to 100 mA
  2. Add external power input. Additional USB C socket for external power.
2 Likes

I wish the updates for this one were posted here too.

2 Likes

Maybe pinging @57Bravo will help both sides since im sure some of this info would interest them, and they may have some input on the stuff here as well.

1 Like

I finished the PCB, need some testing still

Pads for speakers are on the bottom too.

18 Likes

Not an expert but looking at the AXP228 specs and understanding what USB drives can draw, external power seems like a good idea. Super cool design - kudos to you.

2 Likes

Yep, not going to be charging a phone from these ports… will look at SDR spec - but these will definitely drive usb keyboard wireless fobs etc.

1 Like

4 Likes

PCBs are ready!
Looking for someone in Berlin with uConsole to test these hubs. Pls DM me.

5 Likes

I’ll let you know if I get mine before you get yours. Located in Germany. I am using your PCB design to create a template. I want to create some Boards too. Thanks alot for your work so far :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you for your help!

2 Likes

Any Idea how the GPIOs are assigned to the CM4? Are these the real GPIO names from the CM4? Need I2C and some PWM pins

1 Like

there is a post on this thread : How expandable is the GPIO pin set for CM4? What good accesories and connectors are out there?

1 Like

i’d be keen to test. in europe. got soldering iron heated and willing.

1 Like

Is there a way to maybe add a teensy 4.1 to the board to do some headless m8 stuff?

2 Likes