Favourite TUI Apps

Orca looks mighty fun! do you have this running on the DevTerm? Is it available in the repos?

Yeah, I have it running on both ArchLinux and earlier on Armbian.
Just:

# install portmidi first, maybe like this:
# sudo apt install libportmidi-dev libportmidi0
git clone https://github.com/hundredrabbits/Orca-c
cd Orca-c
make

The catch here is that Orca has two versions: desktop vs. terminal; The desktop version uses Electron for displaying the UI, and javascript for logic… Not the best thing on DevTerm. So use orca-c instead.

Runs very well in modern terminal emulators. Just make sure to turn on “bright color for intense” option if there’s any – it’s used to draw the grid in different colors.

To kickstart (if you are not planning to connect external midi gear right away), you can install fluidsynth to have some General MIDI fun.

There’s also a ton of synthesizers in the distro repo that you can hook up to orca.

1 Like

Some of my new favorites for the DT are btop and octoprint-cli.
It’s neat to have the 3D printer status on the go, and btop just looks really nice.

For sound mixing I discovered pulsemixer.
Some other utility I found is tio, the verdict is still out on that one.

2 Likes

So got Orca running and it is clearly awesome. The manual leaves me scratching my head on some parts but overall it blows my mind! Thanks for the recomendation!

I can also recommend gotop GitHub - xxxserxxx/gotop: A terminal based graphical activity monitor inspired by gtop and vtop

(Although only tested/used/loved in RPi Zero)

1 Like