[XFCE] DevTerm ricing

I’m not into i3 and the pi would burn running pop shell(GNOME4), so I figure I could just stay with XFCE for a while.

Getting along with a new machine = ricing :slight_smile:
Here’s what I’ve got after a few hours tweaking:

Ergonomics should be OK due to high contrast and lack of gradients in the UI. I can use higher brightness with this green/cyan-on-black color scheme.

A vertical task bar really makes sense in this form factor. Bonus: tweak dpi from 96 to 86 to shrink everything a little bit.

Main font: terminus 12pt, super sharp bitmap font.

GTK themes:

3 Likes

Nice setup. Thanks for sharing.

I ended up using WindowMaker but I didn’t have to do much to it out of the box as it already puts the dock vertically.

Yeah WindowMaker also captures that retro future feeling very well!

Thanks for highlighting neofetch. Something new to add to my list of apps. :+1:

Very cool!
I think the vertical bar on the right is a big win.
We have no space to spare in the vertical :smile:

Thanks! This is my first thread on this forum. Been a year, but feels like DT is with me forever already.

My current desktop is in the same vibe:

2 Likes

复古风格真的很顶 :+1:

但是devterm的屏幕的高度很小,长度又很长,对话框弹出来的时候经常超过下方屏幕,还得手动拉回来,这个问题超级烦,xfce的风格很难统一,之前搞的仿mac os 9的主题个别窗口看着不好看。全局菜单插件也起不了作用。

顺便一提我现在用的manjaro sway默认桌面,仅终端类型的应用用着感觉不错。

Open a terminal and enter the following line.

xrandr --output DSI-1 --panning 720x1280

It will allow the screen to pan and make it much taller. It isn’t permanent and it will go away the next time you boot.

My DevTerm has a CM3 module and this allows me to deal with that very problem.

What if one of the lock rings is a ZOOM button…

Thanks,but it not works on A06 module.

Maybe a tiling window manager is a decent choice. :grin:

I did successfully set up panning on A06. Working, but slow.
I remember a wince2.11 trick: there’re two programs, up.exe and down.exe, when triggered, shifts all windows on the desktop a bit. We then set up shortcuts for them on the SQ taskbar and voila, poor man’s manual panning!

Consider this trick for panning

thanks, I tried the commands, but again: works, but panning is slow on a06.
also, I have special xrandr commands to enable the 5 “dead rows” on the display (setting screen size to 1280x485, then pan 5 px) and that does not play nice with panning.

Cool. These games are playble on Devterm? Really?

BSPWM + Polybar on Armbian

4 Likes

Beautiful!
Can I find the dot files anywhere?

V A P O R W A R E ! (Not DevTerm, your desktop)

Wondering if BSPWM can do vertical bar?
Last time I tried sway & waybar. Vertical was miserable.

Oh yes very well. I cleared th11 (EASY MODO!), and pushed HL1 till it’s too hard to control.
Raiden2 runs surprisingly well too.
Starcraft… fine, as long as there aren’t a lot of units moving around ((

Polybar-themes: GitHub - adi1090x/polybar-themes: A huge collection of polybar themes with different styles, colors and variants.
BSPWM: Remember to add launch.sh to bspwmrc and add cursor init: xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr and etc.
urxvt: Configuring URxvt to Make It Usable and Less Ugly - Addy's Blog Change fonts what you prefer to.
gtk(icon\mouse\etc): Breeze

不能的,polybar只提供了margin-bottom和margin-top两个选项,可以不用polybar,用这个项目可以实现:

我没有用这个方案,对于bspwm,这种侧边栏感觉有点古怪。不过polybar其实有不少bug的,我在研究这个项目里的东西有没有可以用得上的,然后参照着去重做一下。