GameShell OS image files (v0.3-0.4)

Was it just with neogeo emulation?
I posted something the other day re: changing the default joystick input from analogue to digital in the quick menu settings.
I recall reading a solution to missing inputs being to change your joystick to a 6 button controller.
These problems were introduced in the newer version of mame 2003 plus, and not necessarily the fault of 0.4. Theoretically, you should be able to download the previous mame 2003 (non plus) if the above solutions don’t work for you, while getting the benefits of 0.4.

thanks for the info, I will give that a try some time. for the moment I am happy on 0.3 as moving to 0.4 would involve disassembling again

@R37R0 If you want good NeoGeo performance you should use fbaalpha_neogeo_libretro. It’s perfect.

2 Likes

I kinda messed up my MAME action.config, I tried to fix it, is there something wrong or that I’m missing something?

@HalfBlood not libertro but libretro

1 Like

Now that people had some time with version 0.4, I wanted to ask if you’d recommend updating from 0.3 to 0.4. With my current setup every emulator I need (GB(A), NES, SNES, MD/Genesis, PSX) runs great (thanks to all the standalone emulators that were posted on this forum).

The only problems I have is that Lima doesn’t seem to do anything (at least I haven’t noticed any change) and there’s very noticable screen tearing, so I’d love to hear if those problems have been solved and if the standalone emulators still work the way they should.

One plus is that you actually can switch back to fbturbo driver, in 0.3 it shows that you can but actually you still on lima (if you switched lima ones you can’t change it back), at least it was in my case.

I switched to Lima twice and back again, I have no clue if it actually switched back. :blush:
The thing is I heard that 0.4 broke a lot of stuff that worked before, so I’m a bit hesitant.

yes, you can switch back but it is still lima :grin:
and, I haven’t seen somethin that was broken yet, except buttons layout in snes mode. oh, and keys binding in retroarch, but as I understand this is problem of retroarch itself.

I was very hesitant too, but for me OS 0.4 is pretty good so far all my emulators work fine, all my standalone pc games still run great, some of the problems people had, haven’t experienced. So overall it’s a good update, but I still keep my old sd with 0.3 in hand though as a backup.

But do you still have screen tearing and do you use Lima? Does it crash often? I’m especially interested in saving energy through using Lima.

Yes, I’ve been using Lima, nothing has crashed so far and I’ve been moving stuff around for games, and played for long times, of course the battery could be a heck of a lot better though, but I play all the main emulators included with the os

@HalfBlood,

Have you been able to get vertical MAME games to display properly in OS 0.4?? I’ve tried every combination of settings that I can think of, but no luck. They work fine in OS 0.21 when I select “core provided” for Retroarch’s Aspect Ratio setting.

Well do you mean 1942 games? I only tried one of them with MAME 2003 and it looked good just the score and high score was cut off

Yep, 1942 is a good example. On OS 0.21, it fits perfectly on the screen, so you can see the scores at the top and your remaining lives at the bottom. Of course that results in larger black bars on the sides, but the original aspect ratio is preserved.

For the life of me, I can’t replicate that on OS 0.4.

Use fbturbo driver and there will be no cutoffs with “core provided” setting
This problems with wrong cutoffs is problem of lima driver…

I flashed a spare sd card with 0.4 to see how it holds up and there was still screen tearing in PocketSNES (standalone) with Lima selected. Has anyone managed to get rid of tearing?

@podmaz,

There must be another factor because fbturbo with “core provided” gets both compressed and cropped on my device:

pacman

My test was:

1. Freshly flash OS 0.4.
  2. Verify that fbturbo is selected under Settings > GPU Driver Switch.
  3. Further verify by confirming that fbturbo appears in /etc/xorg.conf.
  4. Set Retroarch > Settings > Video > Aspect Ratio to “core provided”.
  5. Make no other changes.
  6. Connect to Wi-Fi and copy a single game to /home/cpi/games/MAME/.
  7. Launch game from Retro Games > MAME menu.

Can you think of any other settings that I should apply?

For reference, here’s how the same game looks on OS 0.21 with “core provided”:

what is the name of this game anyway?

The game’s name is PAC-MAN lol