GameShell OS Image v0.6 gamma

New GameShell OS Image
v0.6 gamma

Armbian jammy (ubuntu jammy) based 2210 LTS support comes with an almost perfect open source GPU Lima driver.
Completely replaces the original launcher with LauncherGo to improve performance and reduce power usage.
Updated RetroArch to v1.14.0
Updated Love2D v11.0 Mysterious Mysteries
Integrated ClockworkPi APT repo

7 Likes

It’s been a while since a gameshell OS image. Nice to see an armbian rebase, kernel update, and launchergo finally in place. I will try it out!

Thank you for the new image, installed it and tried a few emulators without a problem. But I can’t get pico8 working.

It appears there’s a lot missing in launchergo, and the old launcher relies on python2 and wicd, neither of which are fully supported in the current software. PICO-8 isn’t present, GPSP doesn’t appear to work, and MGBA is very slow. Overall though it’s neat to be on armbian and really modern software.

Thanks for the feedback, will update those missing in next release

what rom ? I’ve tested the MGBA on my side, it looks normal , I ran the super mario game

I am happy to test. I tried 2 GBA games, Fire Emblem and Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. Both have choppy audio and are in slow-motion. My previous OS image is the community image from here: Custom D.E.O.T. V2.0+/Clockwork OS v0.5 image - With customised DEOT interface, Kernel 5.7, Optional 1400MHz OC, Debian 10 Buster, Retroarch 1.9.0, Mupen64+ plus more! (Current build: 200903)

The configuration from that image seems to work a lot better. I have the beta image on a spare SD card so I can try anything you want.

1 Like

I wanted to try it out, but I get this horrible stuttering and tearing of the screen. Any idea what causes it?
Also using B to confirm and A to go back is weird, and switching layout in settings doesn’t change it (I guess it’s launcher go thing)

btw, if this helps, I think I had the same problem when I was trying DEOT build, but I didn’t bother then, and just switched back to regular os

1 Like

Is it just the launcher interface tearing or everything tearing?

I mean , if you ran some program, like retroarch

I didn’t check retroarch, I can check it a little later. But it was starting tearing right from the beginning of the boot, so even command line “happy hacking” part was affected, so I guess it’s not just launcher

1 Like

OK, got you

I will fix this issue in the next 0.6 os Image

thanks for your important feedback

1 Like

os image updated

kernel restored to avoid tearing problem

and added Music Player , Pico8 in launchergo

1 Like

just checked. now it works great, thanks. gonna try some games during the weekend