Good News ,The last module has been complete!

Why not SSH into your home network directly?

1 Like

It’s a shame it don’t have es im tech as all three of my devices share the same plan using esim.

could do that too!
Post must be at least 30 characters

i thought it was only 20

2 Likes

yep i can’t read lol

As an example, i have a number of Raspberry Pi machines in my home network i need to contact, manage etc when I’m out of home. I am not comfortable with opening up any Internet router ports so what i have do is run a TOR hidden service, bound to SSH on each of the Pi’s. Fire up TOR on the Uconsole, SSH in, do stuff. Ditto the other way around if i want to host the Uconsole remotely and want to manage it from home. Lots of stuff to do with the machine.

1 Like

I have had live machines on the internet for many years. Just open only the ports you need and keep the passwords random. Setup the authorized keys thing so from your laptop, you don’t even need to log in. If you are running full services, then you need to worry about several other attacks, but even with that it isn’t that hard to protect. I have a pi 4 with 2G ram and a 1T SSD running multiple sites with Apache, Wordpress, and email systems on several of them. You can take a look if you wish knowledge-junkies.org. I get login attempts from somewhere in the world every 45 seconds or so. Those bots are only looking for stupid passwords based on a dictionary or a list of known broken passwords. Wordpress has a few other issues and people keep attempting SQL injection attacks. When I see them, I block the IP address. There is also a program called failtoban that will lock out addressed for a fixed amount of time after so many failed attempts.

1 Like

If you read my post I stated I do not want to open ports directly to the Internet. It is part of a standard defense in depth methodology. Each connection in my setup has a different hidden service connection, each only connects via SSH with a random different port number, each with 2FA, each has an individual user ID and password, any service other than SSH is tunnelled via SSH. No open ports.

1 Like

To each their own. Didn’t mean to imply that my way is the only way. I don’t have much of great value on my systems connected directly to the internet. On campus (where I teach), they have locked down the internet so far that I frequently can’t get information I need for some of my designs. Teaching students about networks is really hard when you are not allowed to do much.

Notice that most of my Wordpress blogs don’t even allow comments. Too much spam.

wow you guys run your machines when you are away -… I’ve never considered that a need - usually take my machines with me… and when I’m at a volunteer event I create a small closed wireless network for passing information between equipment - often using my cell phone as a hot spot - we are not in an area where cell service beyond Verizon is effective - that’s why I didn’t order the phone modem in mine. on another thread we are discussing building a function card that will use that port… full disclosure I’ve only recently started using SSH - I went the lazy way and used VNC as a remote desk top but the DevTerm doesn’t readily support it so I’ve used SSH… I research what is said and try to learn a little more each day. - I’ve added the 3D Printed Operation shell to the DevTerm so I’m a little more comfortable carrying it but the keyboard is not useful for doing a great deal of typing - but command line or running scripts would be manageable - have a great week and if your in the US - happy Time Change week! Be careful it’s tough loosing an hour…

I have 4 Raspberry Pi machines running at home 24/7. There is one in my bag I take with me, a pi zero 2 W unit. When I plug it in to a USB port for power, it is setup to appear as a serial port and I can log in through that. In the office, it is worse, there are at least 6 Pis there running 24/7. I have had something like 31 machines, but some of those have wandered off to students and are not expected to return. As I posted earlier, my web server at home is a pi4 with 2G of RAM and 1T of SSD. Once I ssh to that machine, I can then ssh to the rest of the machines on my home network. Couple of these machines just run webcams pointing out windows. One is just outside my door and runs a LED matrix that I can change from my desk to say what ever I want. When recording videos or on Zoom, I can say so. My DevTerm (CM3) moves around a bit but doesn’t always go with me. Keyboard is really hard to type on and I am not overly fond of the aspect ratio on the display. When it is sitting in my office or at home, it typically is on and running. I ssh into it so I can use a keyboard that I am used to. Bluetooth keyboards and mice do work well with it. Turning on the pan function works better. The uConsole is coming in with the R-01 module, I want to play with the RISC-V. I am also just getting started with Python, I have been a hard core C programmer for a gazillion years, guessing late 80s or early 90s. Did I say I am old?

2 Likes

Not sure if you all missed this posted on twitter on the 4th, but didn’t see it posted.

Black looks really good. I almost got silver, but I’m glad I went with my gut.

Can’t wait! Any week now I’m sure.

1 Like

why did I choose silver? :sweat_smile:

* several days later, silver pic leaks *

“why did I choose black” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

Only children make choices, and real men want all of them. Order one of each color, hee hee! ! ! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

must resist temptation :joy::joy:

2 Likes

How about replacement shells as a separate product?
If the files are open-source, it may also be possible to get them milled in a custom color somewhere, especially the front which is entirely flat.

2 Likes

But where is the uConsole??? haha

4 Likes