Guide - Installing Supertux on GameShell

Hello all,
I’m here with another guide. This time it’s how to install SuperTux on your gameshell. Now, for those of you who don’t know what that is; SuperTux is a Super Mario Brothers clone featuring Linux’s mascot Tux the penguin. Now, this guide is going to be a bit different than what a lot of you guys are used to, mainly because RetroArch doesn’t support supertux so the game is going to be operated outside of retroarch.

As always and in order to keep the guide short, it is assumed you already know how to do the following:

• SSH into your gameshell (if you’re on windows and don’t know how to do this; google putty)
  • Transfer files from your computer to your gameshell (although I also provide the files you need)

Also as always I have packaged up my config file, a zip file, and the script you will need to run the game into a zip file located here:
http://www.teragentech.net/downloads/supertux.zip

So, without further adieu; let’s get into the guide.

1. SSH into your gameshell
  2. Install the supertux package by typing the following command: sudo apt-get install -y supertux
  3. After the command finishes running (this could take a while), navigate to: /home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/Gameshell and create a new file called SuperTux.sh
  4. Inside the new file you created, add the following text to the file /usr/games/supertux2, save, and exit (Note: you can also just copy the script file I gave you in supertux.zip if you’re using that)
  5. type the following command chmod +x SuperTux.sh
  6. [OPTIONAL] Navigate to /home/cpi/apps/launcher/skin/default/Menu/Gameshell and add a .png file to act as the icon for your game (I give you a .png file for this in my supertux.zip. However, given tux is a penguin, the clockwork logo would work really well for this purpose too)
  7. [OPTIONAL] If you wish to use my config file from supertux.zip, you’ll need to move it into /home/cpi/.local/share/supertux2. If you don’t plan on using my config you can just boot the game from the main menu and change the settings via the options menu on the main screen (see additional notes)

Additional Notes

1. If you choose not to use my config and change things on the options screen, make sure to avoid checking the “fullscreen” option as this will make the size of the window 0x0 and will result in you being unable to close the game without SSH’ing into your gameshell and killing the process directly.

2. You may have to adjust the settings to get the resolution right, in case you don’t use my config, see below for how i have my settings configured in the menu

3. Since this isn’t through retroarch, [MENU] acts as game menu button, not “return to gameshell menu”

4. This game runs a bit sluggish especially when there are a lot of enemies on the screen or where there are a lot of animations such as the end of the level or where there is a lot of water on screen. This could also be an issue with the graphics running on the CPU vs. a dedicated GPU as well. However, the lag isn’t bad enough to make the game unplayable. Also, the problem seems to correct itself the more you magnify the screen which also suggests GPU and can also presents a new problem of not being able to see enough of the screen to react fast enough. I will keep looking into optimizations as I really enjoy this game and will update this thread as I find updates myself

My settings are listed below for those who don’t want to use my download package, I hope this guide is helpful for those who want to play tux and if anyone has any questions or problems please feel free to comment

My Settings

Fullscreen [unchecked]
Resolution [Desktop]
Magnification [auto]
Aspect Ratio [62.5%]
Sound [checked]
Music [checked]
Transitions [unchecked]

My Controls

START - Used to navigate menu (this is by default), most of the time if you want to change a menu setting you choose this

MENU - Actually brings up the game’s menu

A - Jump

B - Action (throw fireballs / Run)

UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT - Movement

Y - peek left

X - peek right

Shift + Y - peek down

Shift + X - peek up

1 Like

Thanks for the guide @StaticHex.
You mention in the notes that it can lag when there are lots of things going on, but it seems to be a bit slow for me most of the time. Is it just a slow game? I’ve not played it on another platform so I’ve got nothing to compare it to.

Hey @bigeasy_uk, I’ve been toying around with the game since yesterday and I’ve updated my guide to suggests running at 62.5% magnification vs. desktop. On desktop magnification settings it does run a bit slow. Like I said in my original post, it’s not to the point where it’s unplayable but it is definitely a bit sluggish. I’ve experimented with a lot of different magnification settings and 62.5% seems to be a good compromise. It still runs a bit slow for a good amount of the time, but this magnification setting does seem to solve some of the problems and speed up the game quite a bit. The areas I’ve noticed the biggest problems with are areas with a lot of animation, particularly areas where there is a lot of water on screen and also the end of the level still seems to run fairly slow.

I actually had htop pulled up in an ssh session while I was playing the game and I was surprised to see that all 4 cores were maxed out at 100% so I’m guessing this is a graphics issue where due to the lack of a proper graphics card, the game is streaming everything through the CPU. I’ve actually run this game before on retropie and it didn’t seem to have nearly as much trouble. Also, I remember it being a lot more trimmed down with fewer animations and such. That being said maybe there is a lite version or something that I missed. In any case I’ll keep searching and if I find anything I will definitely update the thread, until then though 62.5% seems to work fairly well (although still far to slow far to frequently for my liking but hopefully I can find a tweak or solution soon)

Awesome guide! @StaticHex Thanks a lot!
Please allow me to add some screenshot pictures from the developer website of this open-source classic 2D jump’n run sidescroller game.

No problemo, always happy to share the joy of SuperTux with people :smile: