Help: I want to creat ShortCuts for games, that appear on my homescreen

Hahah!! Ahhh you got me. I just like to try and make sure things are right, and get super worried if I give bogus instructions!

Can you just try and get some snes Roms in other formats, eg smc? It shouldn’t make any difference, but that’s the main difference between your Roms and mine.

Have you tried using the regular means of loading Roms? I’m assuming at this stage you’re using my image; in which case, you probably shouldn’t need to run the app once to generate a config file etc.

The DEOT+ v2 image that is downloadable is actually the exact image that I use, just without any Roms. If you want to try out the doom2.wad files, or perhaps even the doom2bfg.wad, I can’t help you I’m afraid. If only there was some archive site or org.anisation that had them all uploaded, and easily accessible. You could have WADs of fun. Well if you do manage to find such a site, just put them in the directory where the rest of the freedoom.wad files are already in, and then run the scripts in the ID folder.

Can you confirm which image you were just using when running the script. As long as the directory path was correct to the rom, it should have worked.

That dump seems incomplete. Did you get the very end of it? That’s the part I’m most interested in seeing. What we have here is most of the stuff initialised on boot, and not what happened after trying to run the script.

ahah :smiley: sorry for that then :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway i was playing a little bit with the scripting and i was not able to achieve anything with it…

the Log file i posted is exactly the whole one :slight_smile: i made sure to copy everything. its from ur deot img.
by the way haha

i tried it with different roms aswell …

so my hands are bount and i am not sure how to proceed. i need to start a new workout soon it seems :smiley:

Maybe you try that script thing out with a standard img and write the scritps and put em ready so i only have to install the imag and insert the game?
i am out of ideas… thats why i am asking… so i suppose its not going anywhere if we keep pursuing that …

so my steps where not wrong?
like putting the script in it… filename and path aswell as sudo chmod it…
hmmmmmpf…

Hurmmmmm. This is so very strange indeed!

So. Just checking. You’re using the current 200903 build of my DEOT image, and not the old 19111 one?
Let’s just use this image for now. Then we can work backwards from there

Can you try opening dinguxcommander from the utilities folder, and navigate to the ~/apps/emulators/ directory, and directly executing the Pocket SNES app?

It should run, and just present a screen that looks like an old SNES game box. This is just to make sure PocketSNES is running. Quit out of it.

Try and directly load a rom from the launcher menu using PocketSNES. It should work. If it doesn’t, then there is a possible chance it could be an SD card issue; perhaps a counterfeit card reporting a size, but in fact being far less; thus sectors getting overwritten, and files going missing.

Try and run CaveStory from the main menu. This will at least ensure Retroarch is running. After that, try and make a script to run Mario using Retroarch. (See above)
If that doesn’t work, edit the contents of the cavestory script to contain the SNES Mario script. (Backup the contents of the cavestory script if you want to restore it)

Double check to make sure your rom is for certain in the correct directory that corresponds with where it’s specified in the script. It sounds like it is, but since we’ve switched from a stock OS to my custom one, I have streamlined my directory structure to better match a console for ease of compatibility.

How are your transferring files, editing files and running scripts? What OS, ssh client or anything else are you using? If you’re using something like notepad on windows, unless you specify otherwise, it adds a whole heap of unneeded headers for rich text support. Stuff like fonts, sizes, formatting etc. This gets in the way of code. Try and perhaps using something like vim or Nano to view the contents of the script while in an ssh session. Ie,

cd /home/cpi/launcher/Menu/GameShell/
sudo nano mario.sh

If there’s anything in the file other than what we want, delete it, then write out the file.

Confirm the permissions for the script file using ls -l mario.sh and let me know what you see.

All of that being confirmed, it should be a fairly straight forward script. All it does is:

1. Provide the shebang to use a bash interpreter #!/bin/bash
  2. Change the directory to the location of the executable cd /home/cpi/apps/emulators/
  3. Execute the app, followed by an argument pointing to the location of the rom file for it to load ./PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/mario.smc

It’s a fairly basic script, so I’m scratching my head re: where we could have gone wrong. I’m running this exact script right now, and it’s running fine. We WILL get this working!

Edit:
Going through your change log of your last post, I saw your screen shots that were actually much more useful. If looks like you booted up the gameshell, and then immediately ran the cat. I could be wrong!
Did you run the script first, get booted back to the launcher, and then run the cat?
It should be an even log. That’s why I thought that perhaps it wasn’t complete.

everything worked…
strange
but the script still… nothing seems to work… it starts , and closes nothing can be seen here

Edit: i started the gameshell and immediately booted into the sh script
but i also tried it the other way around, started the game and then the script… nothing changed…

Hullo!
Which parts worked, and which parts didn’t?
I take it you could get pocket snes working from the launcher menu.
I really think that it could be the way you wrote the script. Ie rich text or something.
Could you upload the exact script file you’re using? Not just copy pasting the text in the file, but share it on say drop box or something.
That’s got to be the reason.
Also, let me know the exact process you took to write the script/upload it etc.