How to create 4G/GSM interface?

I’m losing sleep over this… I have a data SIM, bought data, confirmed with the sim provider that I’m connected on their sim and have network access. I have a mobile broadband connection added on my uConsole via the Networking tab (and have also manually added one via modem-manger and nmcli). And I’ve followed @SuperMarioSF 's guide on setting up the services as well.

Depending on where I am in town, I can get both Verizon and AT&T signals and decent signal strengths. HOWEVER; in the network selection menu under mobile broadband options, “Verizon (LTE Roaming)”, is greyed out. Also, I have no network interface besides Lo and Wlan in ifconfig.

I’m thinking I need to associate an interface with the network I have available, but that’s where I’m lost. I’m trying to Google something to which I don’t know the name of, you know? Help!

Menu_001

There should be a mmcli command that allow you enable roaming data connection. You can look that up and try that before using the newly created connection.
Then click the GSM connection 1 you just created. iirc the operator name should be greyed out by design.

The network connections menu has the option to allow raoming (and I’ve tried it on and off on my setup), which is essentially the GUI for modem-manager.

Also, trying to run it from the cli, the network manager drop-down no longer recognizes existing or new mobile broadband profiles. mmcli -m 0 still shows the progress I’ve made up this this point however, and the the SIM is active, attached, and registered.

Several reboots and service restarts do nothing either.

Below are my outputs. I’ve lost the ability to see the GSM networks on my network task bar, but modem-manager still detects them. I’ve some how made things worse.

$lsusb:
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 1e0e:9001 Qualcomm / Option SimTech, Incorporated

$sudo mmcli -m 0:

  --------------------------------
  General  |                 path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
           |            device id: {SECRET NUMBERS}
  --------------------------------
  Hardware |         manufacturer: SIMCOM INCORPORATED
           |                model: SIMCOM_SIM7600G-H
           |    firmware revision: LE20B04SIM7600G22
           |            supported: gsm-umts
           |              current: gsm-umts
           |         equipment id: {SECRET NUMBERS}
  --------------------------------
  System   |               device: /sys/devices/platform/fe380000.usb/usb5/5-1/5-1.3
           |              drivers: option
           |               plugin: simtech
           |         primary port: ttyUSB2
           |                ports: ttyUSB0 (ignored), ttyUSB1 (gps), ttyUSB2 (at), 
           |                       ttyUSB3 (at), ttyUSB4 (audio)
  --------------------------------
  Status   |       unlock retries: sim-pin (3), sim-puk (10), sim-pin2 (3), sim-puk2 (10)
           |                state: registered
           |          power state: on
           |       signal quality: 58% (recent)
  --------------------------------
  Modes    |            supported: allowed: any; preferred: none
           |              current: allowed: any; preferred: none
  --------------------------------
  3GPP     |                 imei: {SECRET NUMBERS}
           |          operator id: 311480
           |        operator name: Verizon Wireless
           |         registration: roaming
           | packet service state: attached
  --------------------------------
  3GPP EPS | ue mode of operation: csps-2
  --------------------------------
  SIM      |     primary sim path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/0


$sudo mmcli -b 0: 
 ----------------------------
  General    |           path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0
             |           type: default
  ----------------------------
  Status     |      connected: no
             |      suspended: no
             |    multiplexed: no
             |     ip timeout: 20
  ----------------------------
  Properties |            apn: m2m.tag.com
             |        roaming: allowed
             |        ip type: ipv4v6
  ----------------------------
  Statistics |     start date: 2024-01-23T21:36:35Z
             |       duration: 71
             |       attempts: 1
             | total-duration: 71


One thing I think I found success with (though I can’t guarantee this fixed it and not something else, or the Modem Gods), was sending an AT reset command to the modem.

No guarantees, but try this:
echo -en "AT+CRESET\r\n" | sudo socat - /dev/ttyUSB3,crnl

1 Like

I tried that actually. But it’s no longer giving me an output of any sort. No yay or nay.

1 Like