Is it possible to watercooling gameshell?

Everytime I playing games for a long time it turns very hot.

you wanna carry a radiator and impellor around?

2 Likes

Water cooling requires a radiator and a pump. This would make it HUGE.
In short. Yes. But why?

Ha you beat me to it @qqMajiKpp

Oh and not to mention a waterblock

1 Like

like 4-6x bigger than the GS itself. may as well make it into a ghostbusters proton pack

1 Like

are you running the latest image?
i hear heating and performance were greatly improved with kernel patches

1 Like

Remember the Astro Pi? Milled aluminium chassis that passively conducts heat away from the RPi unit without any fans etc. The entire chassis was a heat sink. I think it was also ridiculously expensive!

Maybe someone with the fabrication skills could make that. But not me. I’m not made of money.

2 Likes

cnc mill all the GS housing parts out of aluminm… lol

1 Like

I’ve seen a picture of raspberry pi watercooling set before and it looks not that huge?

i have never done this before… but im exploring it more now.

1 Like

1 Like

That’s one of the first results. I guess compared to a desktop computer WC loop, it’s small? But the gameshell is meant to be portable.

I guess to answer, the answer is yes; it can be water cooled. But even when overclocked, it doesn’t actually run that hot.

The main reason I used to water cool my PC was overclocking/overvolting for stability etc.
Unless you’re into kernel development and are actively messing with clockspeeds, I wouldn’t say water cooling is necessary.

Then again, some people water cool their computers to make it look cool, despite not overclocking. Or some do it for the claimed quieter operation. Gameshell’s are silent so that point is moot.

2 Likes

If you know how to make your own waterblock, I don’t see why you couldn’t just fashion that exact setup onto the gameshell.

I don’t see any radiator fins on that setup or a fan to cool said fins. That loop looks like it would just be a swishing of hot localised water. I don’t think that setup would work without significantly bigger and heavier parts added. And if it did, the loss of heat wouldn’t be worth the extra trouble, and power required to operate the impeller.

As @qqMajiKpp said, do try using one of the custom OS’s kernels. The stock one may not have the same optimisations.

I was just reminded of one of the crazier things I did in my uni days: a thermoelectric peltier cooler for subzero temperatures. That needed its own PSU to power, in excess of 4A. So you would need a beefy power supply. But the actual cooler would be smaller than a water cooling setup.

1 Like

@javelinface i imagine you know better than I do… this is just one of many, somwhat recent, but im not sure if its the latest

@SAKANA617
maybe try flashing this to your sd card unless someone chimes inwith a better one

1 Like

Yup that’s the latest one. Just read all the instructions, and apply the kernel patch if you get get any flickering.
That’s using @Joao_Manoel’s custom kernel, with a SED tclock divider patch applied. Since it’s using actual governors, it should run cooler than the stock kernel, which I think is in performance mode.

1 Like

wipe sweat from brow
not bad for someone whos never touched a GS…not that im proud of it

1 Like

I keep forgetting you’ve not touched one before! If you were in my town, I’d lend you one of mine to mess with!
Ahem. Back on topic.

There’s the Godot launcher that is being made right now by a user. I would honestly say, if you can get it running on the minimal OS that would be the most user friendly version.

I’m mot sure what the OP’s skill level is, but I am assuming they’re someone who likes a graphically friendly UI.

The minimal OS I talked of before is great, but is currently only a Retroarch OS.

Another image is the arch Linux OS. It is very clean and efficient, and customisable. It just wouldn’t be a stock OS, so most of the things mentioned on the forums wouldn’t apply.

1 Like

is it this one?

Bingo! Although my that looks like an app made in Godot, and not an operating system per se. More something you install as a front end on steroids.
So once someone gets that running on the minimal image, we will have a very nice minimal contained OS.
I tried installing the default launcher on the minimal image, but ran into some problem, and tbh just got bored. It wa mainly because it was using an SED release of Debian (bullseye?) and a lot of the dependencies etc hadn’t been ported; and frankly I couldn’t be bothered back porting etc.

1 Like