Custom D.E.O.T. V1.0+/Clockwork OS v0.4 image - With Updated Kernel 5.3.6, Latest Lima Drivers, RA1.8.1, Mupen64+ and much more! (Current version: 191122)

I’ve made a custom game shell image based on the DEOT V1.0 image.

I have tried to make it as close to stock as possible. I have not modified any icons, or folder locations from the original DEOT V1.0 image.

It is generally a lot less cluttered, with more sub directories to hold home screen items. It is also a lot less strenuous on the eyes, having a very Tron like 90’s hacker theme.

Here is a google drive link to the custom image.
In future, I may need to take it down to save space, so send me a DM if it does go down, and I will re-upload it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xjuLFPvbtcq3FDDYCX-GI1wTCXX4XB7n

(previous 191111 version, with @guu’s auto expander, and shrunk down to 2.7GB - in case there is anything wrong with the above version)

Here are a few things I have implemented:

1. Launcher has been updated to the latest version as of 14/11/19.
  2. A custom settings entry has been added to allow users to switch between the DEOT Launcher, Stock launcher and Launcher GO.
  3. The Utilities folder in the home menu has been restored. (It was removed from DEOT for some reason) I have added a “removemail” script to this folder, so you can remove the “you’ve got mail” startup prompt as it appears. Also the Skin chooser in settings has been restored; something that was also removed.
  4. Global Volume controls have been added, to allow volume control in standalone emulators. Stepping has been changed from 10 to 4.
  5. Retroarch has been updated to 1.8.1 which is the current version as of 14/11/19. All assets, dependencies etc have been installed, so you can fiddle to your heart’s content. They may not all work, so please back up your config files regularly if you want to tweak. XMB and other menu drivers are functional.
  6. Retroarch has been configured to what I have mine currently set to, however you can reset it to stock using the in app menu option.
    Directory paths for BIOS, shaders, filters and interface have been modified and updated to reflect the correct locations. Keybinding time out problems have been restored. Mame controls are all functional, and menu scaling is correct. Lima seems to be a bit more stable now, so experiment with both graphics drivers.
  7. Mupen64+ is installed and configured as per the settings found in the forum. Please use the Lima drivers when using this emulator.
  8. ChocoDM and other WAD Wrappers are configured, and ready to have WADS added. They are found in the PLAY>MISC folder from the menu. Use ChocoDM for most wads, besides Heretic, Hexen and Strife. There are custom action files to play those in the Heretic folder.
  9. Being based on v0.4, this image comes with a lot of standalone emulators. They are far more efficient when using the Lima driver than RetroArch, but may still run into stability issues.
  10. Key input layout is set to SNES style ABXY, as opposed the XBOX style BAYX, as this reflects the nature of the games that are played on the console far more. The latest launcher fixes incorrect key binding footer references.
  11. Implemented an auto expander/partition resize app. It is located in the Utilities folder.
  12. Added more file formats to action files for emulators.
  13. Updated kernel to 5.3.6.
  14. Changed default core location for Retroarch dependent games to be the same as Retroarch, and modified settings/pages.py to reflect this in settings menu re: core management.
  15. Change retroarch repository to index - powered by h5ai v0.29.0 (https://larsjung.de/h5ai/)
  16. Personal settings/save games cleared. (I might not bother doing this in the future - but mention something if this would be annoying)

Fixes:

1. Nyan Fixed. I accidentally deleted the chailove_libretro.so. It has been restored.
  2. Lima and retroarch appear to be behaving a bit more.

Bugs:

1. Updated kernel changed boot up splash screen to default. Will look into returning it to custom DEOT image.

Currently working on:

1. Updating to an SID release of debian, updating lima drivers etc.

Re: Folder hierarchy/modifications. The DEOT uses drastically different launcher folder locations. Hierarchy is completely changed. If you decide to modify anything regarding icons, custom action files or updates according to any guides, no doubt you will run into problems if you don’t understand exactly what the code you are using does. It will need modification.

Eg, retro games is now located in a folder called Play. Pico-8, Love2D, Retroarch and other sub game launchers are located here as well. Other developer games are in the Misc folder. It is very different! Some icons will be broken. This is the same way it is in the stock DEOT image.

Besides Mupen64, chailove (nyan) and nxengine (cave story) none of the cores have been installed. Like a fresh installation, you will be prompted to download the respective core upon first execution.
The installation path for BIOS files remains the same, generally. Retroarch BIOS are generally in apps/emulators/bios. Some emulators/games require a BIOS file to run.

Standalone emulators usually use the same directory as their respective programs for BIOS installation, ie, apps/emulators. PCSX requires one installed in the /home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/bios directory.
PICO-8 can be installed the usual way with the current version: pico-8_0.1.12c2_raspi.zip without having to change any file names or bypass any MD5 checks.

IMPORTANT! DO NOT UPDATE THE LAUNCHER FROM THE SETTINGS MENU! IT WILL POTENTIALLY BREAK BEING ABLE TO USE OTHER LAUNCHERS!

If you do, it isn’t the end of the world, AS LONG AS YOU DO IT FROM THE DEOT LAUNCHER! Under NO MEANS should you update the launcher, while in anything but the DEOT Launcher. As a general rule, just don’t do it. If there is a new one, I’ll update it, and release a new image.

Installation wise, it is the same as any image. You will need to decompress the Bzip file. It will become a 16GB file that will fit on the stock 16GB card that comes with the Gameshell.
This is the same size as the stock DEOT V1.0 image file. I have tried to keep it this way. If you want to expand it to fill the rest of your SD card’s space, there are a few tutorials in this forum you can search up. I may try and include an auto expanding script in future.

This image was purely made for people to try out some features that I have noticed are problematic for some users to install. It does not contain any illegal roms, bios, or any other additional commercial IPs. There are plenty of resources in the forums that can be looked up re: how to install bios and rom files, but I’m happy to answer any questions if you have any.

To keep things tidy, if anyone has any problems re: performance of anything on this image, direct your comments to the respective thread. I have provided resources below you can read up on.

Of course, if it is directly related to this image, don’t hesitate to ask! I’m happy to add any other features as requested, but generally won’t pre install any commercial games due to the legalities associated.

Since I can’t assume what people want, I also won’t pre install any open source games. I only bent the rule for the choco wrappers slightly, since freeDM was already installed, and broken.

Things I may implement in the future:

1. Update to the latest Lima Driver
  2. Zero the unused space to allow the image to be installed on a <16GB SD Card.
  3. Comment out the Launcher update script from settings. Also remove Launcher GO as I can see this causing more problems.
  4. Add in custom icons for menu items that are missing them. (WIP Making now)
  5. Include additional setup/installation scripts for installing open source games per the “lets play” thread series in the forums.
  6. Write a bios installation script.
  7. Make the standalone Mame emulator in the root usr/games directory useable/update it to make it relevant.
  8. Implement an EQ balance to MPD.
  9. Have a separate partition (expandable) for data; symbolically linked to existing file structure.
  10. Implement a launcher switcher/updater
  11. Rebuild DEOT to be a separate launcher using “mylauncher” including moved icons, while retaining a stock 0.4 base launcher, and change default repository for downloading cores to armhf neon.
  12. MPD Network Control (currently testing)
  13. Include FCEUX Standalone NES Emulator.
  14. See if Buster is worth using, now the Kernel has been updated. Previously, it broke Lima.
  15. Implement guu’s auto expander, and shrink image down further.
  16. Tips as per @shell: 1.Update libdrm, 2. Update mesa, 3. Rebuild app depends on mesa

Resources, further reading and acknowledgements - if you want to implement any of the above features without downloading the image, please refer to the links below:

Original stock DEOT image: The D.E.O.T. Edition GameShell Is Coming As Well AS 2019Q3 Game Jam - #34 by yqtl
Image shrinking, and auto expanding: Custom D.E.O.T. V1.0+/Clockwork OS v0.4 image - With Updated Kernel 5.3.6, Latest Lima Drivers, RA1.8.1, Mupen64+ and much more! (Current version: 191122) - #45 by guu
Auto expand script: GameShell won't recognize my 64gb card - #23 by hpcodecraft and Custom D.E.O.T. V1.0+/Clockwork OS v0.4 image - With Updated Kernel 5.3.6, Latest Lima Drivers, RA1.8.1, Mupen64+ and much more! (Current version: 191122) - #20 by hpcodecraft
Zero empty space: I made a custom firmware from the stock v.04, but the size is a little big, should I upload it? - #5 by r043v
Multi launcher: 如何为DEOT安装原版启动器,并自由切换 | 机核 GCORES
Volume Control: Volume control everywhere
Launcher switcher/updater: Hello, I'm new here and am bringing presents!
Creating symbolic links: How can I Retroarch 1.7.0 to 1.7.3? - #14 by lasvegas
Mame d-pad fix: Retroarch cant bind inputs - #7 by javelinface
Changing the keyboard/arduino mapping: GitHub - Mihaylov93/Keypad at abxy
Flashing Image to SD: Just got a new 64 gb as card for the 0.4 os, but when I flash it, only 43 mb show - #10 by javelinface
Retroarch: RetroArch Megathread
Mupen64+: Mupen64 - N64 Emulator running
ChocoDm: Running Doom and Heretic
Install Pico-8: How to install PICO-8 on GameShell
MPD Network Control: How to use MPD over the network
Future bios installation script: Is there an app for BLANK - #17 by javelinface
Icon request: Editable Icons Project - Fixing and expanding the default theme's icons - #32 by javelinface
PSX Bios Location: Custom D.E.O.T. V1.0+/Clockwork OS v0.4 image - With Updated Kernel 5.3.6, Latest Lima Drivers, RA1.8.1, Mupen64+ and much more! (Current version: 191122) - #17 by GadgetRat
Future Kernel upgrade: GameShell OS update to kernel 5.3.6(With source code)
Future EQ implementation in MPD: An equaliser that works with MPD and ALSA – Patrick's WebLog
Inspiration for this image: Custom GameShell image (v0.3) with standalone emulators and Custom GameShell image v0.4 with working standalone emulators

16 Likes

The auto expand script is somewhere in the forum.

Edit: I had it bookmarked :stuck_out_tongue: GameShell won't recognize my 64gb card

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks @Petrakis. I was definitely going to use this, however wanted to ask @hpcodecraft for permission before using it. I’ll definitely provide credits to all of the things implemented - also to try and keep information all in one place and relevant!

I think @guu had one that automatically ran upon inserting the SD card. May have even been the same one, just put into cron.

1 Like

I have an Atomic Pi that I use as a linux box for now, just used gparted to resize the partition while using the atomic to also move games and music over, btw its not playing the music , my .4 sd card plays the music in question, otherwise so far everything I have tried works, where do I get the choco hexen, heritic, et al files? I have the pc versions of all the above

Do the stock music files work? Ie Gravity (internal percussion) and Meltdown? If they do, check the files you sent. MPD should accept a variety of file types and bit rates, but check the documentation.
https://www.musicpd.org/

I haven’t modified anything with the MPD, so this is interesting. Perhaps try putting the volume up. I may have had my image set to zero volume upon making my images as I work on things while people are asleep.

Could you post up one of your music files for me to test? The only other thing I could think is that something went wrong in the expansion process. Try things out on a completely stock image.

As for the doom files etc, you will need to have the WAD files. Put them in the games/chocodm folder. Note: problem occur when you use the steam versions. For any other installation or file sourcing queries, check this link out: https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ

Also have a look at the link I posted above re: chocodoom etc. Running Doom and Heretic
note, this is extremely out of date, and all of the directory structure references are incorrect. I’ve fixed them in my image.

as per the music it doesnt even show the files or folders in the main list ( I did tell it to scan), but they show on my normal .4 sd. its just soundtracks from Phantasy Star Online

regarding Doom and such, I have bfg edition which gave me doom and doom 2, then got final doom, those all work, I also have heritic hexen and strife but they say they are wrong versions

Great work! I am downloading and will try immediately.
One question, did you update the Kernel to 5.36as per this thread, should we upgrade to said kernel or should we not
Thank you!

1 Like

@namair
Thanks! I was inspired by the work of both @Rebusmind and yourself. I’ll provide links to both of your work on my references.
Re: Kernel upgrade, I deliberately haven’t yet. But it’s something I will do once it has been thoroughly tested. As per the thread, there appears to be issues with sound. There could be countless other problems, but that alone is big enough to not warrant doing it. By all means, try it out. I know I am on my own private versions. That said, I do not recommend upgrading the Kernel yet.

I don’t believe in updating things “just because” or to stay current. Unless there’s a direct performance or stability improvement, it will no doubt cause more problems, and compatibility issues. Same with upgrading Debian to 10 Buster. I tried it, and switched back.

I’ll include a link to the kernel in the references list.
That said, there no doubt will be a v0.5 using the newer kernel. Personally I would be more interested in a downgraded kernel, to allow use of the older deprecated Mali video drivers; just for testing.

@John_Bach Hey, don’t forget that you can edit your post, instead of posting individual posts for each query. Makes things a bit neater.

Correct. You need to use the separate wrappers found in the Heretic folder. I provided this instruction in point 8. of the features list.

As for compatibility, and version discrepancy you’re probably better off directing your query to the relevant thread. I’d be happy to continue discussion there.

Regarding the music player, you need to first add music to a play list and then run the music. Are you doing this in the correct order? Simply selecting the music will not play it. If you don’t see it, it means you are possibly looking at your play list. Hit right to enter the music library where you add music to the play list. Hit left to enter your play list.

The question I initially asked ie, “do the stock music files work?” would be a great tell to troubleshoot if there is something wrong with the image. If you can provide any more information, like sending a link to the file so I can test it, or a screen shot so I can tell what you’re doing, I can help. Right now, I can’t really provide any more assistance.

1 Like

The built in music files are the oy ones that show up at all in either list,. They all worked on the normal be. 4 setup, and partially showed on the leaked deot version earlier

Can you try with a fresh image, not touching anything or expanding the file system. Just transferring your music files.
I’m playing music transferred via SSH, and it’s fine.
Can you show at least a screen shot of what your files look like, and which directory you put them in? I really don’t know what else to say or do unless I can see what you’re doing.

i am using a fresh image, but expanded and added the music direct using a linux machine, I can try doing it through ssh instead, I loaded the music into the music folder, and the seperate pso music into a pso directory inside the music folder (like I did on the .4 software)

ok removed it and transfered over ssh seems to work now… wonder why direct transfer didnt work

1 Like

Great! Thank goodness there wasn’t anything wrong with the image.

As to why you couldn’t see them to begin with, it could have been a variety of reasons. If using a command line (cp), it could have been a file transfer in progress without a progress bar, prematurely interrupted. Likewise with a drag and drop launcher.

Some file transfer programs initially get you to give input to move your selected files into place, then hit a “transfer” or “execute” button. This can be a good safe guard against accidentally dragging and dropping files while scrolling. This could have been forgotten.

At the end of the day, it’s probably best to just follow instructions perfectly, without taking any shortcuts. Pretty much all tutorials get you to transfer files via SSH. Sure, it’s faster to do a direct file transfer with HUGE batches of files, but hey! If it doesn’t work, try the recommended method before panicking. :slight_smile:

On a side note, do you actually use your game shell as a music device on a daily basis? Like, seriously? I just find that the sound quality on the board is sub par. The only thing I use it for is streaming music/podcasts via air play while playing existing games. If only you could stream music from your game shell to airplay/sonos devices! Sure you can use bluetooth, but honestly, who has a 24/7 always on bluetooth speaker system? If you do, Great! :slight_smile:

I have gotten MPD to play while playing existing games, but until I sort out some hooks to control MPD with shortcuts, similar to the volume shortcuts, it’s just too finicky and annoying. If you’ve got a machine SSHing into the GameShell, you might as well just use that machine to play music. I just prefer using my phone for music, like PSO, Final Fantasy etc.

One thing to consider using the MPD for is perusing the dumped music files from ROM images. Eg, SNES SPC files. The diminutive sound that comes from the GameShell is almost perfectly suited to this kind of music; just like the low res interpolated screen.
Check this out: http://snesmusic.org/v2/
(there are other formats for other consoles too)

(Also, thanks for using the edit button! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I dont know the speakers on the gameshell dont sound too bad. usually just use it when in the car, (Im weird like that, used to use my xperia play til the screen went. I just want everything to work properly lol

Very interesting! Using the onboard speakers as a means to play music live.
I’ll consider adding a pre-amp and/or equaliser modification to MPD for a future rendition. Something to have more of a flat response curve for the speakers. They’re just far too treble heavy; something expected given their size. Amazing for what they are, but without much bass reflex, possibly given the small housing behind the speakers; which is funny, given how much space there is behind the speaker unit, assuming you haven’t modified your rear housing.

Something along these lines: https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/180

I’ll add this on the todo list.

1 Like

nope my gameshell is stock with the lightbar setup

If you are using PCSX, the location of scph1001.bin wasn’t working for me. I had to place it here:

/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/bios

2 Likes

Hey @javelinface, I just saw your mention - of course you can use my script if it helps you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! Would it be possible to modify your code as well, possibly removing the retroarch related scripts, rick dangerous, and prince of persia? Just want to be completely respectful of the original coder’s great work!

@John_Bach Great! I don’t want you to void your warranty, or break your unit, but compare having no housing for the speakers, and the empty void behind the speaker, to the stock configuration. That’s more what the speakers are meant to be capable of. Having an EQ adjustment globally would have a similar outcome, just without having to modify your housing. But that’s a discussion for a new thread!

@GadgetRat Thanks for that! I’ll definitely include it in the references! I’ve actually never tested using anything but the HLE Emulator, so this is extremely good and useful information! Thanks again! On a side note, was there a BIOS file left over in the image? I thought I got rid of all of the ROMs and BIOSs. If there was any, it wasn’t supposed to be there! Oops!

You don’t even have to modify anything, the main script is modular and the resize part is a script of it’s own, you can just use it independently. Here’s a link to the resize script: https://github.com/hpcodecraft/gameshell-setup/blob/master/system/resize_root.sh

2 Likes