Let's play Commander Keen

Will take a look on this. Not sure why Curl does that, because that’s what it reports that. Might be related to misinterpreting variables.

I’ll take a closer look

Can’t confirm that. I have configured soundblaster/adlib and get that used. Unfortunately you can’t configure this in the game itself. But you can from gamelauncher or one of the other games. So no big deal…

The Keen Dreams code part is based on Refkeen and very messed up unfortunately. Changing will take more time.

Done!

I don’t think the problem is related to Virtual Gamepad. I have ARM devices which support that fine. I added the macro so your users won’t have the option, because for Gameshell it does not make sense. All the other Android touch devices work fine and use that feature and are arm based. Remember CG also runs on almost every Android device.

Done, but a bit differently.

Before SDL_Mixer was introduced those libraries were used. I will remove them in near future

Use tag v2.2.9

Thanks again for the feedback. Best wishes and a lot of fun for the Gameshell users!

Hi Gerstrong!

This part in the README still seems illogical: :slight_smile:

* cd CGeniusSrc 
 * cd CGeniusBuild
 * Run "cmake ../CGeniusSrc".

Anyway, I have made Commander Genius v2.3.0 for GameShell!

Thanks for implementing our feedback. Good luck with the project!

1 Like

Ahh, you are right. It is corrected in the testing branch.

It says:

• cd CGeniusBuild
  • Run “cmake …/CGeniusSrc”.

The build-directory is meant not to be in the subdir of the sources.

And thanks for the Version. looking nice :slight_smile:

Steam sale for a dollar right now! complete pack the gods have blessed me!
And thank you works flawlessly

Is Commander Genius working also for Commander Keen 6?

Keen 6 aka Aliens Ate By Baby Sitter. it was not in the Steam Pack therefore I do not have it to test. but the developer claims it works with 1-6 and dreams. which makes sense as they all use the same “engine”

Commander Genius is said to support Keen6 but I tried and it seems it can’t detect the Keen6 folder. Anyone have a solution for this?

try renaming it base6

or you may need to get it properly embedded. with mine i have Keen 1/keen1 Keen 2/keen2 etc etc.

No luck here with any of the mentionned solutions…
Do you have it working on your GS?
If so, what are the files and their structure for Keen 6?
Or what version of the file are you using? PM me if you can’t write it here.

for mine I have ~/game/CommanderGenius/Keen 6/keen6/ and its working fine. maybe its the folder contents? you cannot use ZIP files with this version either if thats what you’re trying to do.

The demo works.

If @duckyvirus has a full version working, I assume he owns a proper KEEN6.EXE and not some KEEN6C.EXE? The latter might not be supported by CommanderGenius.

Yes, the Demo works.
As for the KEEN6C.EXE, its all I have ever seen. I think the other names is ALIENS.EXE

yes I was running the demo. I believe in my first post I stated that It did not come in the steam bundle. I did download a “full copy” to test with and it does not indeed detect it or run. this lead me to do some research. the gameCatalog.xml file only lists the demo for keen6. and the official git (https://github.com/gerstrong/Commander-Genius/) states that 6 will work, but does not cover it in the xml. i started tinkering and have not yet been able to get it running. I will download the GIT and compile a custom version to test with and report back in a day or 2.

I tried the same thing with gameCatalog.xml but also I tried to add it manually in games.cfg without success.

Is there a non sketchy store where I could buy it?
I have the pack from Steam but they do not seems to offer Keen 6.

I tried, but this keen wiki says:

Unfortunately, this game is no longer legally available anywhere to purchase, unless bought second-hand.

Too bad…but if I go the other route I feel less guilty. lol

Commander Genius supports Commander Keen 6 EGA version 1.4 on the GameShell. You have to patch Keen 6 if you own version 1.0.

PM me.

I cannot patch my version for some reason. I have KEEN6C.EXE that i got from a abandonware website reports as 1.0.

The reason probably is that KEEN6C.EXE is a modified version that does not require in-game passwords.

You however require a normal KEEN6.EXE and patch it to 1.4 if the version is different. Commander Genius will make sure you do not need in-game passwords.

1 Like