How can I install, configure and run DOS games?

dos

I would like to play some old DOS games on gameshell (many are available on GOG), Jazz Jackrabbit in particular. I assume it can be done, since some of them do work on my RPi.

But I have no idea where to start with DOS games on retroarch, I have downloaded DOS core, but I have no idea how to configure everything properly.

I know my way around linux, but I’ve never used retroarch before. Every bit of help is appreciated :slight_smile:

The CPI is too weak for dosbox in my experience.

Can GS run linux? If so, the question is partly solved?

The gameshell OS IS Linux, and no that does not partly solve the issue

Has anyone got around to run DOSBox through RetroArch on the GS? Would love to hear some tips :slight_smile:

I installed DosBox:
sudo apt install dosbox

I changed at least these settings in ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf:

fullscreen=true
fullresolution=320x240
output=overlay

Then I started the keymapper:
dosbox -startmapper

Then I mapped something like this:
EVENT - BIND
key_space - Key i
key_lalt - Key j
key_ctrl - Key k
key_lshift - Key u

key_i - [blank]
key_j - [blank]
key_k - [blank]
key_u - [blank]

key_q - Key h
key_b - Key l
key_y - Key o
key_n - Key y

key_h - [blank]
key_l - [blank]
key_o - [blank]

Jazz Jackrabbit does not run very well, but other games like Commander Keen do:
dosbox ~/games/Jazz/JAZZ.EXE -exit -exit

People who want to play Jazz Jackrabbit should not use DosBox anymore, but use these instructions.

Do you think something like this would work for Alien Carnage (Halloween Harry)? https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/alien-carnage/ I have a whole bucket list of dos games from my childhood that I’d love to play on the GS. Some are less intense than others but most are like the one mentioned above. I’d love to play the old duke nukem!

I know the old Duke Nukem works through DosBox on the GameShell. I haven’t tried Alien Carnage yet, but I think I once bought it, so I can try it out.

I prefer to ditch DosBox and run stuff natively. You can find on this forum how to do that for Prince of Persia, Jazz Jackrabbit, Duke Nukem 3D, Commander Keen etc. but I haven’t found a way for the Duke Nukem 1.

Like I said, Duke Nukem 1 (and 2) do run on the GameShell through DosBox!

Yes. The game is actually freeware. I did not know that.

Oh hell yeah you just made my night! Totally going to try that this weekend. Bio menance and original Duke nukem here I come!