Let's play Dave Gnukem!

Although Duke Nukem 1 is playable on the GameShell using DosBox, I could not find a GNU implementation of it to run natively on the GameShell.

Then I stumbled upon Dave Gnukem, an open source retro-style 2D scrolling platform shooter, inspired by and similar to Duke Nukem 1. The creator started this project back in 2001 and only recently finished it in 2018.

Dave Gnukem is actually quite suitable for the GameShell, so I decided to make yet another instruction topic!

Dave Gnukem v1.0 for GameShell

DaveGnukem.zip

Instructions

These instructions describe how to install Dave Gnukem on the GameShell.

1. Login with ssh.

2. Download DaveGnukem.zip:

wget https://gitlab.com/Oet/dave_gnukem/uploads/81862fe6f741606c61a8233eae57f979/DaveGnukem.zip
  1. Extract DaveGnukem.zip:
unzip DaveGnukem.zip
  1. Move the extracted DaveGnukem/ directory to /home/cpi/games/:
mv DaveGnukem/ /home/cpi/games/
  1. Go to that folder:
cd /home/cpi/games/DaveGnukem/
  1. Get the data files from the creator like this:
git clone https://github.com/davidjoffe/gnukem_data.git data
  1. Create a launch script:
echo 'cd /home/cpi/games/DaveGnukem/' > '/home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/GameShell/Dave Gnukem.sh'
echo './davegnukem -f' >> '/home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/GameShell/Dave Gnukem.sh'
  1. Reboot and select the Dave Gnukem icon!

Further notes

• Set your controls in-game: REDEFINE KEYS (I recommend UP for ACTION).
  • To build from source you have to install the dependency libsdl-mixer1.2-dev.
9 Likes

Works really well, playing this as we speak! Thanks for the detailed instructions!

I’m trying to install Dave Gnukem to my GameShell i followed the instructions but was only able to get the files on my computer and not the GameShell. Is there anything I’m doing wrong?

What do you see after you login with SSH on the GameShell?

It always messes up on the last part of the installation saying no such file or directory

The new 0.3 image needs a different approach. Try:

1. Create a launch script:
mkdir '/home/cpi/apps/Menu/Dave Gnukem' 
echo 'cd /home/cpi/games/DaveGnukem/' > '/home/cpi/apps/Menu/Dave Gnukem/Dave Gnukem.sh'
echo './davegnukem -f' >> '/home/cpi/apps/Menu/Dave Gnukem/Dave Gnukem.sh'
  1. Reload UI and select the Dave Gnukem icon!

Let me know the result.

1 Like

Cool thanks I’ll let you know the result