Then I stumbled upon Dave Gnukem, an open source retro-style 2D scrolling platform shooter, inspired by and similar to Duke Nukem 1. The creator started this project back in 2001 and only recently finished it in 2018.
Dave Gnukem is actually quite suitable for the GameShell, so I decided to make yet another instruction topic!
Dave Gnukem v1.0 for GameShell
These instructions describe how to install Dave Gnukem on the GameShell.
- Extract DaveGnukem.zip:
- Move the extracted DaveGnukem/ directory to
mv DaveGnukem/ /home/cpi/games/
- Go to that folder:
- Get the data files from the creator like this:
git clone https://github.com/davidjoffe/gnukem_data.git data
- Create a launch script:
echo 'cd /home/cpi/games/DaveGnukem/' > '/home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/GameShell/Dave Gnukem.sh' echo './davegnukem -f' >> '/home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/GameShell/Dave Gnukem.sh'
- Reboot and select the Dave Gnukem icon!
- Set your controls in-game: REDEFINE KEYS (I recommend UP for ACTION).
- To build from source you have to install the dependency