clockworkpi

Most stable system thus far

A thread for information to try and figure out what the most STABLE version of CPI is running right now.

I’ve been running 0.21 with RetroArch 1.7.8 for a while now. Basically, I wanna find out when I should upgrade to a new OS without losing performance because things are running fantastic on 0.21

I’m on v0.3 and it’s been pretty stable for me. I wonder, do you have tearing on v0.21? That’s the one thing I wish v0.3 didn’t have. ^^

From what I’ve experienced, stability wise: 0.21>0.4>0.3.

Obviously as the version numbers go up, so do added features. Eg, USB Ethernet enabled by default, Lima driver support, midi support, core management interface, skin select interface, adb push update, improved battery life, less over heating, unified updated directory structure, newer retroarch build, more standalone emulators per installed etc.

However for some people, 0.4 breaks a few compatibility issues. I haven’t experienced this personally. I do get less hangs, and far less of a need go hold down the power button to reset the device when it black screens; compared to 0.3. That was far too unstable for me.

I keep a 0.21 card separate for when I want to do specific things. They’re cheap as chips nowadays. Half of my bike cameras etc come with a 16GB card, that I inevitably update ASAP. You can probably find them second hand in your locals classified for free, or for the price of 2 coffees brand new at a store.

Basically, try if for yourself as opposed to going for what other people say. Chances are, most peoples opinions are going to be parroting what they read from someone else; fearing that someone will call them out for something that isn’t common agreed upon knowledge.

Again relating back to bikes, this is what happens with people all “agreeing” one brand is the superior tire maker. Everyone just assumes they’re going faster, simply because everyone told them they were; purely a placebo effect. (Continental GP4000 II fwiw - which from racing on, feel like absolute trash!) Anecdotal opinions are great, but treat them just as that; personal opinions.

1 Like

Good answer man. Makes sense. They are cheap now too it’s crazy. Two 32g cards for like 11$ on Amazon.

0.21 has always run as I would expect it to if I bought it off a shelf. I mean I have a bit of screen tearing… nothing too serious or gameplay inhibiting. Everything just works cohesively (for me, anyway. I’ve had hiccups)

Thnx for the replies.

1 Like

Another thing you’ve done that most people wouldn’t have is recompiling your retroarch from scratch to 1.7.8. I just did so myself, and I’ve got to say, I’m surprised at how well it works, and even more surprised it works on both your 0.21 and my 0.4. I’ll have to read up on the notes, but even the XMB menu runs smoother than before. Not sure if it’s GL driver related, or just general optimisation. Either way, I’m hoping the benefits are passed on to the emulators too.

I guess it comes down to what you use it for. If it’s just for retroarch, from what I’ve seen 0.3 seems to have random hangs starting and exiting games. Basically a flip of a coin. 0.21 and 0.4 are about on par. 0.4 actually has the OS menus respond the way they should more often than not. Eg. Airplane mode, and Lima driver support.

I’d say give 0.4 a go on a spare card, if just for testing out Lima, experiencing a better battery life and less heat/crashing. If retroarch has GL optimisations, that’s definitely heading in the worthwhile direction.

1 Like