My GameShell's wifi is broken!

One thing I found in critical need of wifi access was Pico-8. And since that was a main reason I bought the GameShell, the poor/flaky wifi reception made me sad. :frowning:

That said, I recently resurrected my device after a bit of a sabbatical. (Sorry!) I’ve got your latest custom DEOT version running, and I’m impressed with all the additions and improvements! But before I decided to upgrade and then finally try to rebuild what I had on it before (which is still a project), I decided to upgrade the wifi antenna based on that other thread. For literally a few dollars from Amazon, and a decent amount of fear, it turned out to be really easy to remove the original (poor) antenna and replace it with a new one. I went from about 30-40% showing to 80-90% showing in an area of my house. It still can’t connect to all access points (depending on the security setup, of course), but it’s far more usable now and I don’t have to only use it in certain physical locations like I did before!

I wouldn’t recommend the antenna upgrade to someone that hasn’t soldered anything before. But if you’ve done some light soldering in the past, it’s pretty easy to remove the old part, and the two solder points are big enough and spaced out enough that it was much easier than I imagined.

1 Like