New Clockwork device: The DevTerm

Then add a prompt to it please, like that’s it’s a bit weird

3 Likes

Oh no, no. Just being sarcastic.

No fights, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fights? What fights?

1 Like

Wut? I meant the “beautiful” adjective to describe the backpain was sarcastic, hah it’s all good :slight_smile:

Btw I’m deeply interested to see if they’ll include home computer emulators in it such as the ZXSpectrum and Amiga.
Also, excited for those dev jams.

1 Like

Wow. I guess sarcasm causes problems :laughing:. All this just for one word :laughing:. Your new profile pic. I kind of feel like I’ve seen it before. Is it from a movie or something? Did you see my poll?

1 Like

if i remember correctly, the GS was around $120 (USD)

2 Likes

The poll doesn’t make sense. Even if it said “Which is better?” on the poll, it still wouldn’t mean much.

Better for what?

Each seems to be designed to be used for very different things. It’s like making a poll asking which is better, a bicycle or a motorcycle?

2 Likes

I am extremely happy to see that the Snes style ABXY configuration is acknowledged.
The last thing besides my Gameboy printer I remember with a thermal printer was my grandad’s calculator. I approve.
While on the nostalgia kick, I’d very much be down to custom paint a kit aka the famicom keyboard. I’m an absolute sucker for that colour scheme.

2 Likes

I prefer red and black

3 Likes

i prefer mint green & beige, it’s an underrated color scheme

1 Like

If the keyboard is again based on a programmable arduino, you could possibly map it to anything.
Then use the trusty old magic eraser to scrub the decals off the key, and apply your own.

Pre April release, I wonder if they will release STL files to 3D print our own mock-ups of the devterm. Could be useful for the purists who like their keyboards configure the way they want. (Not that you can print a decal with an STL, but hey! Spares!)

Great to see the community is still active, with plenty of shadow lurkers!

4 Likes

yeah, that would be cool to see

2 Likes

You’re giving me PTSD flashbacks of my old cassiopaeia “palmtop” computer. Hopefully this will deliver where Windows CE failed.

On that note, as a pure proof of concept, using a CM3 should allow more freedom of OS choice (windows IOT ;)), and open up the market to more people; no longer needing a custom boot loader/kernel etc.

The DevTerm remind me of the Amstrad NC-100

3 Likes

ok ok, it was just for fun.

This new device looks super interesting but I have a feeling that it is not as mainstream as GameShell was/is. It’s more directed to a niche audience. I really hope it gets the sales and success the team is looking for and deserves.

Me personally I’d rather been expecting to see some new modules for our modular GameShell e.g a new screen or case or clockworkpi sbc, that would upgrade our GSs. Is there any plan for such modules?

One comment on the device looks is that the flat keyboard screen might render it cumbersome in usage. It’s doesn’t bend anyhow right?

3 Likes

That would be cool. But I guess you just gotta make new things so people don’t get bored of the same things? Yeah I agree. The screen like that would be kind of hard to look at when you’re typing or something. I think it should be like a laptop/computer.

True but the GameShell form factor has a much broader audience so more guaranteed sales. Plus it was advertised and it is “modular” and no modules except the initial setup have ever been produced.

2 Likes

I think you are wrong, if you look closely, the gameshell even if slightly marketed as a gaming device was mainly marketed as a DYI/hacking device like the devterm.

What CPI was really trying to sell was they compute module, the « main board » of the gameshell, the GS only being a ready made kit to put around that tinker board named ClockworkPi (which is the name of the company, they didn’t call themselves as GameShell)

This device is for me the exact continuity of the CPI/GameShell. The Gs got somewhat popular with emulation, but that was not their first target.

4 Likes