New Clockwork device: The DevTerm

Well the keyboard is not AVR based this time, but 'arduino" compatible :

The keyboard central control unit adopts the Arm® Cortex-M3 architecture, which is fully compatible with the Arduino STM32 development environment.


@yong / @guu One thing, if the design is not completely final, or you have the possibility to make a small add-on to it, please think about a stand to keep it upright or even a bit tilted (thinki about the PocketCHIP:

image

This would be absolutely great when used using a USB Keyboard/Mouse, as there are plenty of USB on this one.

3 Likes

I am thinking about that module, but its probably a little bit too thick , we probably need to have a deeper back panel for that too fit. But cm4 is definitely a possible option.

1 Like

that is exactly how i feel. May be they can support both device coming forward.

1 Like

I don’t remember them saying they would discontinue the GameShell

1 Like

yes, they didn’t say that , but they also didn’t say that gameshell will get continue support, and its still out of stock. i guess we will just have to wait a few day, may be we can get a statement of some sorts.

1 Like

I’m half expecting a surprise Christmas drop, re: gameshell news. It’s still only been less than a day since the devterm has been announced.

@guu gave a very cryptic and subtle hint re: the DevTerm in a previous thread. No doubt they are going to continue this trend, no doubt unveiling components for the gameshell.

The fact that they haven’t called this a gameshell pro, or gameshell 2, or even mentioned the word gameshell would almost imply that they haven’t deprecated the gameshell OG, and are making the DevTerm alongside the gameshell. I’m imagining using it as a terminal to SSH into the gameshell as an alternative to my laptop.

The mention of a clockwork pi compute module makes me feel optimistic about a potential gameshell board upgrade. Since they were in the works, producing PCBs from scratch, it wouldn’t surprise me if they had a few other tricks up their sleeve. Besides sourcing parts, a 4:3 screen would be a trivial matter compared to the 16:12 behemoth of the DevTerm.

What I’m mostly keen on seeing a come back are possible custom shells and module chassis. Sure you can print them yourself, but seeing a restocked store would be fantastic; possibly even taking into account user submitted designs. (Build in light key etc)

I think there used to be a mod/dev member called @veronica who used to deal with PR etc, but I haven’t heard from her for a long time.

It would seem to be a pretty uncomfortable device to continuously look down at and type on if the screen isnt tilted or adjustable at least slightly… I hope the designers are considering that.
A hinge or … something would be nice.

Thanks! @Godzil,
The A04 uses a Quad-core Cortex-A53 CPU, while the A06 uses a Dual-core Cortex-A72 + Quad-core Cortex-A53 CPU, on ARM’s big.LITTLE architecture. Yes, the ClockworkPi v3.14 mainboard is compatible with Raspberry Pi CM3 compute module.

1 Like

Thanks for having patience and faith with us. 2020 is hard for everyone.
We will definitely continue to develop and support GameShell. We are planning an upgraded CPU module for the GameShell, and a new 640x480 IPS screen module…, probably in the first half of 2021.

13 Likes

I saw the cpu module. looks great.

That’s great news! Don’t drop support for GS! Good luck with DevTerm

3 Likes

Need more stickers!!

3 Likes

Great news! Thanks, ClockworkPi. Both GameShell and DevTerm are my dream devices. Good luck with the new product DevTerm!

2 Likes

I’m going to preorder as soon as I decide which one I want. From what you said, the A04 uses a slightly older chip, and the A06 uses the old chip PLUS a faster chip. Do the the two chips work together as one CPU? What about the RPI-CM3 option? Does it use an RPi compute module as its brains? It comes without the compute module and you have to buy one separately and plug it in? Another question, do the A04 and A06 have a slot for the CM as well?

I can’t wait to print randomly generated mazes and solve Advent of Code challenges on it!

2 Likes

No the A06 do not use two SoC, there is one with a big.LITTLE arrangement of cores.

2 Likes

the RPi one you need to buy a compatible compute module

2 Likes

i hope the DevTerm is gonna be available with different face plate colors like the GameShell

1 Like

As for my question, will there be some footage available soon? The renders look brilliant but I’m reluctant to part with 319 dollars until I’ve seen some actual footage of it working and perhaps some typing.

that, and i would also like to see the STLs so we can see how big it would be and potentially make a 3d-printed case to hold the screen at an angle.

2 Likes

Also, the A04 and the A06 are modules exactly like the CM3, so yeah the port it there but used by the A0x

1 Like

You’ve seen a physical production unit? Leaked images? I’d be keen to see a close up of the schematics to see what hardware we’re dealing with exactly.

So far we’ve only seen the 3.14 (heh pi) without any compute module.

Where did you see the module? Besides here and the official site, I haven’t seen much media coverage. I might fling this on social media, and let my game journalist friends know about it. Although I’m not sure if this classifies as a gaming device.

Meantime, I have made the first mock-up DevTerm. It feels nice to hold. No problems with viewing angle. Prepare yourselves.

Realistically, I’m probably not going to be able to afford this till later in 2021, since the PS5 bill has left me scrounging on ramen and instant coffee. I’ll just play make believe for a little longer.

Doing a little bit of reading, it looks as though the top end clockwork 3.14 compute modules use the same cortex A72 as a raspberry Pi 4. Couple that with the mali t864 which is generally touted at being more powerful than the Broadcom videocore vi THEORETICALLY should make the clockwork 3.14 compute module more powerful than a raspberry Pi 4; and cooler!

Considering that in a 64bit environment I’ve been able to emulate up to a Nintendo Wii/GameCube (dolphin), there should be very little that you can throw at the newer modules that it can’t run. That said, I’m not sure how much this is being promoted as a gaming device.

If the future Gameshell mainboard a will be of a similar Calibre, I’m getting excited about the huge power boost! - good thing the back of the Gameshell is ready to vent out all that potential heat!

6 Likes