New Clockwork device: The DevTerm

Also, the A04 and the A06 are modules exactly like the CM3, so yeah the port it there but used by the A0x

1 Like

You’ve seen a physical production unit? Leaked images? I’d be keen to see a close up of the schematics to see what hardware we’re dealing with exactly.

So far we’ve only seen the 3.14 (heh pi) without any compute module.

Where did you see the module? Besides here and the official site, I haven’t seen much media coverage. I might fling this on social media, and let my game journalist friends know about it. Although I’m not sure if this classifies as a gaming device.

Meantime, I have made the first mock-up DevTerm. It feels nice to hold. No problems with viewing angle. Prepare yourselves.

Realistically, I’m probably not going to be able to afford this till later in 2021, since the PS5 bill has left me scrounging on ramen and instant coffee. I’ll just play make believe for a little longer.

Doing a little bit of reading, it looks as though the top end clockwork 3.14 compute modules use the same cortex A72 as a raspberry Pi 4. Couple that with the mali t864 which is generally touted at being more powerful than the Broadcom videocore vi THEORETICALLY should make the clockwork 3.14 compute module more powerful than a raspberry Pi 4; and cooler!

Considering that in a 64bit environment I’ve been able to emulate up to a Nintendo Wii/GameCube (dolphin), there should be very little that you can throw at the newer modules that it can’t run. That said, I’m not sure how much this is being promoted as a gaming device.

If the future Gameshell mainboard a will be of a similar Calibre, I’m getting excited about the huge power boost! - good thing the back of the Gameshell is ready to vent out all that potential heat!

5 Likes

Though the DevTerm shape and screen is really not the best for emulation, but yeah the CPU core is beefier than on the GameShell CPi

And we clearly can expect a new mainboard for the gameshell at some point. Probably not soon though, the board for the DevTerm will not fit.

(also I haven’t seen anything than mockup up so far, even the PCB they show are 3D render)

So, clearly no DevTerm for Christmas (as I’ve seen it asked here or on Discord, can’t remember), and even if I fully trust ClockworkPi, be prepared that the April deadline may not be met and the product delivered a bit later.

2 Likes

Haha! I found that actually funny :grin:
If it was for mocking the weight, was the tape necessary?

1 Like

Of course, you have to glue the screen together!

1 Like

Will DevTerm shipping in China?

Wow, @javelinface, it was really nice of you to make a mock-up. Also, I was talking about the one on the website, it says NEW.

I have no idea what website you’re referring to. I’m assuming the official clockwork pi site? You’re probably the only one who has seen it. Everyone else has only seen mock-ups/renders.

Ha glad you’ve got a good sense of humour. Was the tape necessary? Definitely not! But hey, it’s the closest I’ve gotten to physically holding a DevTerm, and confirming it won’t fit in my biggest jorts. (Jeans Shorts ;))

The temptation to glue two shells was there. But just for a joke, maaaybe not.

1 Like

Wow I can’t imagine someone gluing two gameshells together.

if emulation is what you are going for, then i gotta get my hands on the new board and start my ClockBox project back up

3 Likes

Umm, whats the ClockBox project? So about that NEW board, this is the link. https://www.clockworkpi.com/gameshell. If you scroll down, you’ll see a board that says NEW and UPGRADED.

3 Likes

Wow, they look so cool! They look like gameshells. Exellent work @Metonym. :clap:

1 Like

pretty much everything here is just like a gameshell, like how the DevTerm is just a wide gameshell

1 Like

Hmm, yeah you’re right. The colors and the special “screws” basicly define gameshell.

1 Like

Seriously, what are you seeing that we aren’t? I don’t see any reference to a clock box project. Are you somehow seeing internal data of future projects?

The “newer” CPI 3.1 board was new over a year ago. If doubled the RAM and introduced an HDMI out.

1 Like

ClockBox is the name i gave for the Clockwork Console concept

1 Like

That’s a good point, @yong probably better to remove the “New” on that page, as it’s not really new anymore now :wink:

2 Likes

This is the ClockBox project @javelinface.

Oh right, I was scrolling the link of the main clockwork page finding the reference. I thought it was another new project.

@Metonym - given how the base of the devterm basically looks like a project board, complete with brass offset screws, rebooting the clockbox and using this as the “base” could be doable, mounting a large cube on in place of the standard faceplate. It would probability limit you to a 10” screen, but I can’t imagine using anything larger.

1 Like