New Clockwork device: The DevTerm

yeah, that sounds like a good idea, i was originally planning on using a 8" screen, but 10" would be a good upgrade

I do like them big screens.

1 Like

what screen ratio should i go with?

To tell you the truth, I honestly don’t have a clue with screens beside big or small, touch, dpi and lcd.

oh, but i found this display on the adafruit website that i think would be good

the screen ratio is 4:3, which is common for retro stuff, and i think may be the same as the gameshell

1 Like

Again, i’m no expert but this looks AMAZING. You should definatly go with it. Ooh, it’s an IPS, that’s really good.

1 Like

It is interesting, but not really related to the DevTerm, so could you create a new topic or use the one Michael created for that project?

Thank you.

3 Likes

Agreed.
All I need is an IPS screen for GS :frowning:
But DevTerm is really a cool idea. Let’s wait to see it in action

Again, the GameShell do HAVE an IPS screen.

1 Like

Wait, it does? :open_mouth:

the main page for gameshell said it have a TFT rgb screen,i think its different from an ips screen, but i am not sure

Yeah, they are different. The Gameshell for sure does not have an IPS.

Here is a LCD, sorry TFT, module pretty close to the one on the GameShell, and guess what?

That’s an IPS.

2 Likes

The one for the GS or the DevTerm? But i’m pretty sure the GameShell does not have an IPS display.

That’s the gameshell one.

1 Like

Oh right, I just was looking in the forums, so in 2019 you did an IPS instead of lcd right?

IPS, LCD and TFT are three different things.

IPS == In Plane Switching
That’s how the segment in the panel are layout

TFT == Thin Film Transistor
That’s the technology of transistor used on display panels

LCD == Liquid Crystal Display
A technology of display panel using liquid crystals.

All modern LCD use TFT, in fact lots of people nowadays call a LCD a TFT, it’s neither correct or incorrect, but you can use them interchangeably.

IPS, is one among a lot of way to layout the segments on a LCD panel (the segment being what make the pixels and subpixels of the display.
Saying 'IPS" instead of LCD is on other hand incorrect. All IPS display are LCD. But all LCD are not IPS. There are other way like TN, VA, … for example.

The screen on the GameShell is the same since the device was made first send to the Kickstarter Backers as far as I know.

One good way to check if a screen is an IPS and not a VA or TN is the angle of vision. IPS tend to be better than the other one on that aspect.

2 Likes

I have no idea what you just said. So confusing :confused:

Just saw the news today. Looks amazing! I love it.
I’d almost prefer another keypad for the gameshell, along the lines of a blackberry keyboard,since gameshell is pocketable, but this is super cool too.

I would love a version of this with a VGA in port, a serial port
and a USB “out” port for a keyboard and “mouse” and a LAN port

• I have several devices that are serial port only.
    Great to plug this guy in and get hacking.
  • LAN port since a lot of devices are not wifiable.
  • VGA in for headless devices of various sorts.
  • USB out for plugging it into the headless device.

Thinking:

• The serial port can be done pretty simply with a USB dongle.
  • The LAN port is simple USB dongle
  • VGA in, is more difficult. There are USB dongles out there that can do it.
    I own several. In general, they do a poor job and have a persistable lag.
    In genre, they do not work well IMHO. At various clients, they do have proper
    “laptop” like devices specially made for the tasks but they are curiously expensive.
  • USB keyboard and mouse out is much rarer.