PocketSNES standalone build

QQ%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20190624180832

5 Likes

Haha, this is perfect! Thanks a lot for this, can’t wait to get home and try them out!

Okay, the emulator is running fine now, but I can’t seem to load a game, it always starts in a menu that says “Return to game” at the top.

Do they have to be in a specific location?

according to your directory edit the file
/home/cpi/launcher/Menu/GameShell/20_Retro Games/SFC/action.config
like this:

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SFC
ROM_SO=
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC
LAUNCHER=/home/cpi/apps/Menu/25_psnes/PocketSNES
TITLE=SFC Roms
SO_URL=

and you can run it in the game list

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that when I get home.

Mh, after I did that it goes back into the main menu when I try to execute the action file. Also did the chmod thing, but it didn’t change anything.

Do I just download the zip file from github and copy that to the gameshell.

You can unzip it and put it on your GS, but you also have to set the correct permissions by going into the folder through SSH and entering “chmod +x psnes.sh” and “chmod +x PocketSNES”. Confirm both lines with enter and you should be able to start the emulator, but I still have the problem that I can’t open roms with it.

EDIT: Someone in the Discord told me that action files are only used by RetroArch and cannot be used by standalone emulators. Is that correct?

Do I put these files in one folder. If so where ?

I got it working. Not sure how

But did you get it to actually load a game?

action.config

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SFC
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES
EXT=sfc,zip
LAUNCHER=
TITLE=SNES Roms
SO_URL=https://github.com/cuu/emulators/raw/master/PocketSNES.zip
mkdir ~/apps/Menu/48_PocketSNES/
1 Like

Yes it creates a directory SFC in the games folder. I put a few SNES games in there and run the games from there.

The only thing you need to know to run a game is you must give the file has an argument on the exec.

Let’s say PocketSNES is in /home/cpi/apps/emulators and your games in /home/cpi/games/roms/snes

So you need to execute :

~/apps/emulators/PocketSNES ~/games/roms/snes/Final Fantasy II (USA) (Rev 1).zip 

for instance.

I use it with EmulationStation with this on system.xml :

<system>
		<name>snes</name>
		<fullname>Super Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
		<path>/home/cpi/games/roms/snes</path>
		<extension>.smc .sfc .zip .SMC .SFC .ZIP</extension>
		<command>~/apps/emulators/PocketSNES %ROM%</command>
		<platform>snes</platform>
		<theme>snes</theme>
	</system>

I just tested on Starfox and oh my… this is a killer app ! We have fullspeed here ! :smile:

It’s still not working for me. I tried the action.config that @guu suggested, but still it just returns to the main menu.
This is how I modified the file:

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/SNES
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC
LAUNCHER=
TITLE=SNES Roms
SO_URL=https://github.com/cuu/emulators/raw/master/PocketSNES.zip

I double checked that all the paths were correct.
I also tried renaming my SNES folder in games to SFC, but it still won’t allow me to choose a game to play when I open the emulator without the action file.

@Dowdheur
But how would I do it when I wanted to start the emulator from the launcher without EmulationStation?

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES
ROM_SO=
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC
LAUNCHER=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/SNES/PocketSNES
TITLE=SNES Roms
SO_URL=

Have you got it to work? I tried everything with the action files, but nothing worked.

Now I installed EmulationStation hoping that would finally enable me to use the emulator, but hey, it’s also crashing when I try to boot it.

EDIT: Okay, got it to boot, but whenever I want to load a game, it shows a loading screen and then goes back to the rom list…

Have you done this through SSH

chmod +x psnes.sh

chmod +x PocketSNES

I finally got it to work. I did forget to add the actual emulator file at the end of my path… Now it finally loads roms. ^^’
And it works much better than any of the SNES cores I tried with RetroArch! :smiley:

Could you do a favour and test Mario RPG on it vs other cores?

I’ll go stand-alone if the improvement on that title is large enough. Appreciate your time!