PocketSNES standalone build

Man you know what ? Don’t hesitate !!!

This is a killer app, trust me. I tested Starfox and it’s fullspeed.

I just ran Super Mario RPG to compare the performances and pound for pound, the standalone is the winner.

1 Like

Well that’s all I need to hear man thank you!!!

1 Like

Is it same build that comes with OS 0.4 or it is something new?

I tried to get some romhacks to run, but I’m having trouble with two Zelda hacks (Redux and Parallel Remodel) and I was wondering if this might be a shortcoming of the PocketSNES emulator. Has anyone else tried different romhacks?

I need help getting this to run.

I’m pretty hopeless with this stuff. Can someone give me step by step directions from start to finish?
This is the last thing I want to get running on my GS. I haven’t even managed to get SNES games to run on Retroarch…

Scratch all that. I’m in! Thanks guys

I was just about to write a lengthy tutorial, so good you figured it out. :smiley:

Hope I saved you the hassle before you started writing! :sweat_smile:

Never realised there were ‘standalone’ listings on GitHub. I was wondering what I was supposed to do with all those files I downloaded (which weren’t the right ones)

Have you seen this thread, where I posted a longer description how to get the standalone emulators to work?

I think that’s what I used to fix my dilemma! Thanks for your hard work and knowledge. One day I might get the hang of this thing

I also started out with zero knowledge. But after hours of tinkering and one broken image file I kinda got the hang of it. ^^

Could someone put the actual commands to Install this directly from github, to your GS, Like the other standlone amulators. rather than just leaving it for us to figure out which most people cant (look at this thread)

If you could just show the actual clone commands liek the PCSX and Picodrive have to just install it. Rather juist plopping it down here like “figure out how to install it”

And please don’t tell me to do the unzip and chmod method, i know the command will work WAY easier so i think we should just put the proper install commands in here, to install it automatically without dragging zips And I’ve read Rebusmind’s turorials but they arent helpful they make it more complicated then it should be imo.

Thanks for the compliment, I guess.

I was only highlighting a way for people like me who aren’t familiar with the whole Linux side of things.

2 Likes

Geez chill, I know this is frustrating, trust me I’ve had my moments but @Rebusmind was just trying his best to help

1 Like

Sorry, i can probably figure it out your way i just was saying it would be easier. I didnt mean to be a jerk about it.

You cant just drag the zip because theres no .sh launcher file in it, your posts keeps saying just drag the zip then ch mod pocketsnes.sh (which isnt there and wasnt in the zip)

EDIT: Got it working now, was using the wrong zip (master not the standalone)

But i did have to use a custom action.config to get it to load games but i got it working.

Yeah, and I posted the action.config for PocketSNES in the thread I linked above.

1 Like

Okay my pocketSNES is notworking at all IDK why, here’s my action.config

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC
LAUNCHER=
TITLE=SNES Roms
SO_URL=https://github.com/cuu/emulators/raw/master/PocketSNES.zip

I tried pretty much all the action.configs in this thread in different variations

Where you’ve got stuff under ROM_SO, try moving it to LAUNCHER

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES
ROM_SO=
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC,fig,FIG,zip,7z
LAUNCHER=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES
TITLE=PocketSNES Roms

Theoretically it should make zero difference, seeing as it just puts the launcher first with arguments, rom
_so next, then specifies the rom according to extensions. But that’s what I have my action.config file looking like.

Another thought. If you wrote this script yourself on your computer, and transferred it to your gameshell, it might have been in a rich text format, ie it might contain extra headers and indents that aren’t visible in your computer’s text editor, but viewable in a raw plain text form.

Try running:

nano ~/apps/Menu/20_Retro\ Games/PocketSNES+/action.config

It should just have the contents of the action.config without any extra formatting.

It looks like there’s just a problem with pocketSNES. I think some of the shortcut scripts you gave me technically worked but pocketSNES just isnt running. its launching but it closes after a second before loading the ROM.

Im not sure why pocketSNES isnt working anymore, I seem to remember when i first fkash this OS image it was working, at any rate, that is the issue clealry. and to give some basic specs, my emulators are in apps/Menu.20_Emulators

andthe core is linking to apps/emulators

Also, I changed the name of RetroGames, what it was , to 20_Emulators so that may be have something to do with things , i dont really know.

Hey, could you do what I asked above:

Change the path to wherever you’ve decided to move your action.config. I have no idea how much you’ve changed. Take a screenshot of it.

Also navigate to /home/cpi/apps/emulators/ and take a screen shot of the contents of that directory.

Are you sure it’s launching? If you’re referring to the screen going black, that doesn’t really say anything. Could you try and run it via terminal? Ie,

export DISPLAY=:0
cd /home/cpi/apps/YOURDIRECTORY/
./PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/ROMNAME.smc

Give it the executable bit as needed, depending on its current permissions.
Take a screenshot of the verbose output, or just say whether or not it’s running.
If your file is there and it’s not running, it is possibly corrupted, in which case you should delete it and redownload it, ie what I told you to do in the other thread you posted pretty much the same problem in.

The problem here is, it won’t be able to find anything, if you’ve decided to change the location of where the emulators are stored. Why did you move them? Did you actually move them? See below.

You sure it’s there? Typos matter. Even capitalisation. You shouldn’t have your emulators in the menu. Have them in the ~/apps directory, and then any sub directory other than ~/apps/Menu/.

I’m guessing you were meant to say ~/apps/Menu/20_Emulators/
Even so, you should really just try to have scripts referencing the apps you have in the apps directory; not directly running them from here.

Without holding your machine, it’s hard to tell if you’ve made any more typos in your code. Just like, really really double check.

Again, cores are mainly to do with Retroarch. Are you using PocketSNES as a standalone, or as a Retroarch core? It’s not a Retroarch core.
Furthermore, you just said that the app was in “ apps/Menu.20_Emulators”
This is now referencing the same file in two places. Where is it? Is it in both?

You’ve changed so much, and I don’t know whether you’ve change anything else. It will mess with your skin even more, which I’m sure you know. Changing the location of the shortcut to run the emulator does nothing. Did you put the action.config file in a separate subdirectory? It’s more where you’ve put the emulator itself that’s making me wonder what you’ve done.

I really need to know what your action.config file looks like. If you’ve just copy pasted anything from here, it simply won’t work with how much you’ve changed. The settings menu’s core manager references locations of files within the ~/apps/emulators/ directory. Unless you edit the python file of the settings menu, it won’t access a different location. Don’t worry about this. All this means is that I can’t easily instruct you on how to redownload the PocketSNES emulator to the correct location.

Okay. Well. I’m just going to try and put in your information you’ve provided, and try and rewrite your action.config.

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES
ROM_SO=
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC,fig,FIG,zip,7z
LAUNCHER=/home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Emulators/PocketSNES
TITLE=PocketSNES Roms

Put this wherever you’ve put your menu item/action.config file.