Reformatted, cant get my custom game shortcuts to work now

I know pocketSNES doesnt run from retroarch, well I know that now, but as ive stated before i had it working on a previous format of the OS and i am now using i believe one of your custom os images, to allow me to run Mupen64.

I think you are right, the only way to launch games in pocketsnes is to do it with an action.config.

That being said, That is the one thing i am having issues getting to work.

So I will attempt to explain here, all the info of my setup.

Emulators (cores) are in… /home/cpi/apps/emulators
Emulator (launchers) are in… /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Emulators

pocketsnes action.config is in… /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Emulators/24_PocketSNES+

pocketsnes action.config looks like:

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES
EXT=sfc,SFC,smc,SMC
LAUNCHER=
TITLE=SNES Roms
SO_URL=https://github.com/cuu/emulators/raw/master/PocketSNES.zip

the paths are correct. your actionconfig above, i also tried.with no luck

If you’re using my image, then yes. They are all correct.
What are you having problems with? PocketSNES is on my custom image, and all images by default.

Assuming you haven’t moved things around, I will make a custom script for you that works exactly with my image, and runs starfox using pocketsnes.

As a side, have you tried Star fox using cores in Retroarch? I personally find that it runs far faster in Retroarch than the standalone. In fact, most things in Retroarch run faster than their standalone counterparts these days. I only kept them there in my image, because I know it would make some people mad if I deleted them. There is still the notion that standalone emulators are faster. This is not always the case.

Okay. Lets put this to rest!

So i’ve tried a few different variants. They all work.
Don’t forget to make sure that PocketSNES has rwxr-xr-x (755) permissions, ie change the mode of the file with chmod +x. Also make sure that the script has the same executable bit.

The location I put my script was:

/home/cpi/launcher/apps/Menu/40_Starfox.sh just for testing.
This the same effect as putting it here:

/home/cpi/launcher/Menu/GameShell/40_Starfox.sh

You can put it anywhere.

If you are using the DEOT v2+ skin (which I doubt, seeing as you can easily make your own), the most recent DEOT v2+ OS has a separate DEOT settings menu mode. While in this mode, the skin is located in a different directory: /home/cpi/launcher/skin/DEOT
From there, if you want the script to have its own custom icon, put the relevant png file here:

/home/cpi/launcher/skin/DEOT/Menu/GameShell/Starfox.png

Note that this affects the appearance of the file in either of the two locations mentioned above.
(I know you already know this, since you have made some excellent contributions with your own custom skin, but I’m just putting this here in case someone else down the track reads this.)

The Star Fox rom is located here, with this exact name:

/home/cpi/games/SNES/Starfox.smc

For the record, PocketSNES can also handle zip files.

Do you know how to handle spaces in file names? That could be a problem, ie with your rom name. If it was Star Fox.smc you would need to refer to it as Star\ Fox.smc

By default, a lot of roms have names like this: Star Fox (V1.0) (U).smc
Even when using \ to denote a space, you will still encounter problems simply due to the presence of the parentheses. There are ways to get around the syntax, but just to make life easier, just rename your rom to something without spaces or parentheses. You’re going to the trouble of making a separate script for a single game. You might as well make your life easy.

First, this is what I originally gave you:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/cpi/apps/emulators/
./PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/Starfox.smc

You can also use this:

#!/bin/bash
/home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/starfox.smc

Just to test that they work by themselves, start a SSH shell into your gameshell, and type this:

export DISPLAY=:0
cd /home/cpi/apps/emulators/
./PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/Starfox.smc

or

export DISPLAY=:0
/home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/Starfox.smc

Both of them effectively do the same thing; just differing in the running directory.

(Extra content here. Don’t let this confuse you. It’s just some further reading.)

Since I saw that you tried to just run PocketSNES like you run Retroarch, ie just by typing its name, you can potentially make your life easier, copying it to the /usr/local/bin/

sudo cp /home/cpi/apps/emulators/PocketSNES /usr/local/bin
sudo reboot

After rebooting, you can run PocketSNES just referring to its name. Ie,

#!/bin/bash
PocketSNES /home/cpi/games/SNES/Starfox.smc

ln -s would be safer :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, what about the region of the rom? sometimes different region roms don´t want to behave.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing a ln -s, but given the problems the user was having with existing instructions, mentioning symbolic links and therefore the associated running directory problems with where the link is located, things could go a bit silly.

I’ve just tested, and confirmed all of these are working:
StarWing (E) (V1.0) [!]
StarWing (E) (V1.1) [!]
Star Fox (J) [!]
Star Fox (V1.0) (U)
Star Fox (V1.2) (U)
Star Fox Competition - Weekend Edition (U)

Yes i had my rile named Starfox.smc all along, with no spaces or parenthesis, so it was not neccesary to tell me that. I will try your script when i get home but that is the same one you already gave me
. So i dont expect it to work. Also Starfox does not work in retroarch with snes9x at all. If it did inaouldnt have needed psnes tonaork. If i can get statfox to run in retroarch snes9x would be great. But it is much slower and unable to play. If it runs at all. Starfox is one of the most highly demanding snes games so it needs pocketsnes to run full speed.

Wait what. It does work in Retroarch! Very well in fact.

Yes I know it is the same instructions that I gave before. But please also try running all of the other scripts, ie via SSH to have them run. And THEN try running the script.
I gave you an alternative script pre-emptively, expecting you to disregard information already given to you.
Please actually follow ALL of the instructions, otherwise there was literally no point in my taking the time to write them out. And please have some optimism, and have a bit more faith in your fellow community members, simply trying to help you. Your pessimism has little constructive purpose here.

Depending on what you have previously run, I find that sometimes your session is still set in a different running directory, and things don’t run; especially when using shortcuts and scripts linking to programs.

This was a problem that I was having with setting shortcuts and scripts using another game front end; emulation station. I used this to manage my standalone emulators, until I ran into some starting directory problems. That’s when, as @Petrakis mentioned, making symbolic links is an optimal solution.

If it isn’t working in either Retroarch, or PocketSNES, there is either something wrong with your rom, your installation or your emulators.
Start by downloading them from another source and testing them.

Seriously consider buying a spare 16GB sd micro card. They’re as cheap as a cup of coffee where I live. Install a blank fresh OS. Test your Roms on an unmodified system. Then change one thing at a time. You will actually learn something about how the file structure of the gameshell works. Alternatively, just back up your existing SD card, install an OS from scratch, and try things out from there.

Did you try to do any kind of system updates? Early on, when people tried to upgrade to buster themselves without doing any post installation patching, they would run into all sorts of problems. If you are using my OS, have a look at the bash log. You can see the commands I used to get the Lima drivers working after my initial buster upgrade.

I am honestly not familiar with psnes tonaork, so I am just to put that down to being a typo. If not however, let me know what it is and I can possibly look into it.

You have mentioned that you have moved files around in your installation.
I really can’t help you further with getting it working, unless you fully show me what you have done. The instructions I provided above were performed and tested on a freshly installed operating system.

I was providing additional information because I don’t know what knowledge set you currently have, and also to provide complete information for anyone in future who searches for the problem. I am just trying to help. Please do not make this seem like something of a burden.

Keep things cool and positive, and people will respond to help. Otherwise, things get nasty.

ACTUALLY Starfox does NOT work in retroarch on gameshell. IT works in retroarch, on PC, everything works in retroarch on pc. But starfox does NOT run on gameshell in retroarch (snes9x). That is the whole point of me needing pocketSNES. The whole point of this topic and my other posts.

If you are able to get statfox running on snes9x in retroarch on gameshell, it is very slow framerates, unable to play. As someone else stated in the topic for PocketSNES, they had starfox running at full speed in pocketsnes, thus implying it runs inferior in other emulators and thus pocketsnes is required to run it at any decent speed.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0kXfWmhA3V0Qn-5J6owTAglRA
This is Snes9x via Retroarch. It is running at or near the full 60FPS. I don’t believe this is a very slow frame rate.
I’m not sure what standards you have, but this is extremely good emulation. It is using Snes9x as a core in Retroarch. It is working.
Snes9x has other potential option to further enhance superFX games, overclocking the enhancement chip. In this instance, I have no overclocked it any more than the default 10MHz.
I am currently running the audio at the full 48000Hz at the highest resampling quality.
The video is using V-Sync that works, and a Bilinear filter, scaling the image to fullscreen.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0CwKQJJ6SCRxMbEx2tBTVkk6g
This is PocketSNES. It is running at around 35-40FPS. This is not running at the full 60FPS.
I am needing to run the audio at a lower 44100Hz to avoid crackling and slow downs. There is no option to change the resampled quality. I have chosen a smooth full screen, which I am guessing is a bilinear filter. There is no option to enable V-Sync, and tearing is prevalent in a lot of games. Fluid video and audio is enabled, prioritising both.

I’m not saying to use one or the other. There’s just this perpetuated stigma of people insisting that standalone emulators always run better. Or that games don’t run. This has got to stop. People only read posts of people complaining. When things work, generally no one says anything.

Hopefully this video comparison shows the point I am trying to make. They are both running on the same system.

The post you’re no doubt referring to was from June 2019. That was a full year ago. That is ridiculously old information. Since then, a lot of extremely active people have joined and made huge advances in what the gameshell is capable of. I wouldn’t just say something runs well, just because I read it somewhere.

I would strongly consider getting your Retroarch running properly, and attempting to get acquainted with using it. The gameshell isn’t what it was in 2019. Information is getting outdated.

I have tried that , no luck

Also tried this , no luck either…

And if i knew how to get Starfox working in retroarch, that would bypass all of this. But its not SO easy, id probly have to research issues with starfox in retroarch with the FX chip and all the game specific settings need to change for it to work which IS FINE but i dont know how to do all that, i dont have a source that tells me, that why im making this topic. And to be fair i dont think its gonna be any easier doing all that.

You have a source right here. It’s the community.

There aren’t issues with Star Fox in Retroarch.
You said it yourself.

The fact that you said that it doesn’t run in Retroarch on Gameshell with such vehement certainty, even capitalising the word NOT makes it sound as though this is a researched fact. This will confuse others as well, along with this same aggressive approach to saying something doesn’t work.

If both PocketSNES and Retroarch aren’t working for you, and you can’t run scripts that I have just written that work for me on a fresh image, then I would say that your OS is far too changed to be functional, and it’s time to start afresh.

It’s either that, or you aren’t following instructions perfectly, have made typos, have incorrectly named files/directories, or have something wrong with your file editor.

Perhaps you’ve followed instructions that are outdated, and have broken your installation. I would try and suggest other things, but it makes it very difficult when you snap at me for suggesting things, claiming you already know it.

I don’t know what kind of background you have. In a recent post, you mention this.

So it gets confusing when we try and tell you to follow a command, and nothing ever works for you.

Eg, if I said “try using sudo chmod +x Starfox.sh” you would say, “you don’t need to tell me that, I already know how to do that”, when in fact what I am trying to get you to do is type EXACTLY what I am telling you.

In other threads, even trying to tell other people what to do, you have referred to the above command multiple times as sudo chmod + x with a space that shouldn’t be there. This is a typo and the difference between a command working and failing. This is just an example, and sure; maybe that’s not what you typed.

The fact it comes up with you having typed it like this at least twice when you search “chmod + x” in the forums would lead me to believe this is a problem. There must be some kind of error message whenever you run any of the commands I gave you, especially when running while in the command line after typing export DISPLAY=:0

If nothing is shown there, run whatever script doesn’t work, type in cat /tmp/x.log and paste the log for us to read. This is basically what I was trying to get you to do, running the scripts manually from a shell.

The image I used showing Star Fox running at 60FPS in Retroarch is my own custom one. It has been readily available and free for anyone to use, and is something I have recommended in the past. The purpose of the image was to help people, like yourself who don’t have time to research or just try things out to get them working. I’ve done the work for you.

If you really insist on not formatting and trying to get your image to work, try this.
You will need to be in a place that has decent internet to download files. Historically I have seen you have problems with downloading files. This process will take about half an hour, and it will look like your gameshell has hung. This is how long file building takes. You just have to let it do it’s thing. Sometimes, compiling things can take days. This will update your Retroarch to 1.8.8, and fix up anything you may have broken. It will also install everything, including things the gameshell can’t currently do, eg gps, webcam etc. Using a USB OTG cable will allow you to potentially plug one in.

sudo apt-get install git build-essential
sudo apt-get build-dep retroarch
git clone https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch.git retroarch
cd retroarch
./configure
make -j2
sudo make install

Here is a link to my Retroarch config that you can use if you want to have the same settings as me. Copy it to ~/.config/retroarch/

After it has updated, go into the online downloader option in Retroarch, go into download cores, and find Snes9x 2010 libretro. Download it. If you are using my image, I have made Retroarch store it’s own cores in ~/.config/retroarch/cores. Make a note of this location. If you aren’t using my retroarch.config, then you will have to find it yourself.

I don’t know if you are using action.config files with Retroarch, or loading Roms from Retroarch directly. Either way, you will now need to specify which core to associate with the rom you are using. Make sure you specify the core you just downloaded. This is a fairly standard procedure, and not some strange workaround.

The next thing. I don’t know what kernel, or clockspeed you are using. Go into your “about” page in settings and read what you are using. I was using kernel 5.5.9 using the overclock of 1400MHz, as has been available in my custom image for months. I won’t go into how to compile kernels here, since there are other posts that do this for you.

Now, even if they work on your PC or whatever, redownload a new Star Fox rom. Just to be sure. It doesn’t matter where you put it on your gameshell. After you have everything prepared, open up Retroarch, and load the Star Fox rom, then select Snes9x 2010 as your core.

I still highly recommend you just avoid all this and just download my custom image. If even has a dark boot up screen that won’t blind you, as you requested in another thread.

You can still copy your custom skin over. As for what you CAN move in the OS and not have break your installation, basically just anything in ~/apps/Menu/. You can move things in ~/launcher/Menu/ which is what you have mainly done, and I have previously questioned; but if you try and do an update, anything in the launcher directory will be updated and wiped. Also as usual, avoid double ups of the same numbered place holders between these to locations.

I am just trying to help, and the overall tone that I always seem to get from your responses are very aggressive. Would you please be able to tone it back a bit? I’m not sure if you’re just like this in real life, or if English is your second language, but it does at times seem to come across as being quite rude.

Well that was unneccesary because retroarch works fine for me, and has all along.

I assumed that you didn’t have Star Fox working well with Snes9x in Retroarch. Here is what I was going by.
Was it just a highly exaggerated hyperbole?

The previous post you made contradicts everything you just said.

The one thing that you got right was that none of the posts I took a lot of time to write out for you were necessary. A small bit of gratitude, or appreciation certainly goes a long way. I have been patient in trying to help no matter what, but with statements such as this being the only reply, I can only feel resentment, frustration and regret for putting forth so much energy into reply to you.

I have given you ample opportunity to lift your game, showing even an iota of politeness. This has been squandered, and I am afraid that you are now on your own. I pray that someone else can help you; hopefully someone who hasn’t seen how you treat those simply trying to help. I will be muting you, so unfortunately any further correspondences will not be heard. I really wanted to help you, but you have made it extremely difficult.

Good luck getting things working.

Alright, I have done just as you said and tried the latest 2010 Snes9x in Retroarch , WITH the superFX options enabled, and overclocking it to the fullest, and Starfox STILL stutters with audio, and framerates not being anywhere close to full.

I have tried Starfox 2 with the same result obviously, so I have no idea HOW you are getting 60FPS in Snes9x in Retroarch. but I’d like to know

(and btw im already using one of your custom images so I dont see the neccessity of reformatting my GS again just to install another of your custom images again just to get one emulator working when everything else works fine, also i already have a dark all black theme i made myself.)