Request for lspci output

Would anyone who has the RISC-V version of the uconsole kindly share their output when running lspci -k on the device?

I’m planning to build my own OS images using Gentoo as my base system. I already have a means to roll updates onto this device in the future and will not be attempting to compile directly from the hardware. I have a cross compile environment configured I’m just playing the waiting game waiting on any actual shipping confirmation on my order made back in September.

I am looking for lspci output so I can get a working kernel configuration ahead of time so that when Clockwork gets around to actually shipping me my device I already have an OS image ready to go.

Edit: Also what would people recommend I use for the bootloader? All of my recent builds have taken advantage of efibootmgr which I know will obviously not be available on the uconsole. Is it just the usual bios boot legacy method of just throwing grub on the sdcard and calling it a day or is it something like the Raspberry Pi’s?

I’m familiar with the process for creating these for Raspberry Pi’s but I’m not sure what the uConsole uses for booting a RISC-V system.

1 Like

You may be able to emulate the stock R0-1 image using qemu or kvm.

Direct answer to your request. This is from the factory image:

root@bit:~# lspci 
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
root@bit:~# lspci -k
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
root@bit:~# 

Performance wise the R0-1 truly sips battery. The performance, while not a linpack winner, is “perfect” as a micro-console and a true remote ssh terminal. i3 has supercharged this little device and it truly meets all the desires I had for the R0-1.

That being said, I’d love knowledge on how to compile in kernel modules or a custom kernel so please share your work if you can. Custom kernel or modified kernel would be epic in that the modules are very sparse. As in, I’m not able to use things such as a usb based GPS or usb based 10/100 adapter that work on everything, shy of a piece of toast. The R0-1 does see my SDR ( use in non-graphical mode only for best performance ).

Let me if you wish for any more output and sorry for the delay in reply.

Well I’ve run the command on the hardware, the command shows exactly the same output as forgeman’s. There’s no /proc/bus/pci.

I’ve tried to build a ArchLinux based system. Currently I can only run Allwinner’s BSP kernel on uConsole with full capability. Mainline linux lacks various drivers(for Allwinner D1), and my attempt to bring up the DSI panel failed. HDMI works on sameul’s fork though. Fedora’s wiki has a page for D1.

As to the bootloader, as far as I know, only BSP u-boot and a few downstream u-boot forks can boot.

If you are still interested in building Gentoo for uConsole(R01), the best I can give is the BSP kernel packaged for Arch.

Since the performance of R01 core is just terrible, I switched to a CM3+ Lite module. I kind of give up R01 now. This time I successfully brought up the DSI panel on RPi CM3.

1 Like

Allwinner D1 has no PCIe support on chip.

(also the expansion port on cpi base board is not have ANY PCIe lane… you can’t get PCIe device work with uConsole)

1 Like

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I didn’t even think when I asked for lspci output that I was already barking up the wrong tree for this device. The big thing I was looking for was currently active kernel modules so I could have an understanding of what modules I was going to need to make sure were enabled once I start tinkering with a custom kernel image.

I’ll definitely share my work once I’m able to start. I just got my shipping notification a few days ago so now I’m just waiting for the hardware to get here!

I’m very excited and thank you Forgeman for the encouraging words about the R0-1 being super efficient on power. My major project for this device will be a portable network management device that I plan to also release as open source once I’m at a point where I feel confident with the code for that, but all the research on getting the kernel going will definitely be shared!