uConsole - R-01 and RISC-V thread

Wish to start a RISC-V R-01 thread. And to say Thank you a ton to ClockworkPi for having RISC-V as an option!

6 Likes

Agreed ā€“ the R-01 is what made this thing interesting. Iā€™m slightly concerned about performance, but I love the concept. I hope more RiscV SOCs become popular/available in the future

2 Likes

Would be better with a better chip though. Well at least some good one are coming really soon.

2 Likes

I have ordered the risc-v version, not only the price mattered, but also it is a chance to build a ā€œreal fantasy consoleā€. I already have the devterm a06, actually I do not think this type of devices are suitable for running linux with desktop environment. Maybe it is a chance to make our own fantasy os from scratch on the new rics-v machine.

3 Likes

This is pretty interesting sounding, how would you do that? Is there a YouTube series or blog I can go to to follow along/learn more?

2 Likes

I totally agree about not running a desktop environment. Iā€™m just hoping i can get enough performance to get a decent emacs running on fbterm, which i think should be doable. maybe some games would be a bonus, but thatā€™s really not the goal
If i get time i plan on building an image for this thing with buildroot ā€“ thatā€™ll keep the image super minimal

3 Likes

@Ryan_Finlayson, As awesome as this community is, Iā€™m sure there will be a ton of links and howtos once the units start landing ( heck I may even post some things on YouTube once things get real ). Here hear on the ā€˜real fantasy console @nadesico19ā€™ R-01 RISC-V and ā€œjust enough human interfaceā€ this truly will be a ā€œmicro consoleā€ that will meet every wish I have. @wdouglass and @Godzil I canā€™t wait to get some cross compiling going and see how optimized we can make the kernels, Iā€™ve a feeling 1Ghz and 1GiB will be plenty under RISC architecture. ( That said, this 3.14 main board will be a hoot in that we can easily pop in and pop out performance ā€œifā€ needed. ). I see this as a ssh / tmux dream ā€˜remote controlā€™. As for a window manager I was thinking a super light xfce4 or even dropping to something like i3 to take full advantage of every pixel on the screen. If everyone canā€™t tell, Iā€™m super excited to rock this uConsole! :metal: :grin: :metal:

3 Likes

No the ā€œmainboardā€ have no impact on the performance of the core plugged to it. It is just an interface to give USB, HDMI and other output that the module you plug to it can use.

And sorry but the Allwinner D1 may run at 1Ghz, you can do thing with it, but the lack of GPU (even if there is some pseudo 2D acceleration) will limit what you can do graphically and it is not a performance RISC-V core, it is an In Order CPU mono core CPU. The performance to expect from that CPU is way under a Pentium 2 or 3 roughly.

1 Like

Oh 100% agree with you @Godzil in that the main board is just the carrier for the R-01 board. My poorly expressed thought pattern is that the R-02 board ( when it hits the deck ) hopefully, will just slot into the 3.14 main board. Thus, just pop in performance with ejection of the R-01 and insertion of the R-02 and go! Iā€™m sure the R-02 will be fabulous too ( when it exists ).

1 Like

Yes unless CPi want to get rid of that format which is still possible, if they release now SoM for the DevTerm / uConsole, they will be just swap from the one currently installed. You will, though, need to refresh your SD card.

1 Like

I have also ordered the uConsole with the R-01. Mostly will be light terminal use so graphics processing isnā€™t much of an issue. I already have a devTerm with a CM3 module in it and will swap with the uConsole if I need to. Still curious about power consumption of the R-01 vs the other processors. Now the long wait. I also have on order the Popcorn computer that is way overdue but includes a LoRa module.

1 Like

that popcorn computer is cool looking, but also seems kinda vaporyā€¦ I hadnā€™t heard of LoRa before, but it seems really useful ā€“ i didnā€™t order my uConsole with the 4g ext module ā€“ a LoRa module to fit there would be pretty cool!

2 Likes

I already have a devterm A06. Can I theoretically get uConsole R-01 and swap the core?

1 Like

Absolutely @hhanggodo the only thing you will need to consider is the partition or SD card. A06 vs R0-1, as you know, are different arches so the OS will need to support it. But, a simple secondary SD card and the R0-1 core and you are good to go as I understand. Iā€™m sure that others will correct my errors if I misstated something. That said, this is one of my plans to try too ( module to suite the needs of the moment or day ) :metal:

3 Likes

nothing new to add but interested in the discussion, bumping thread

You could ask a few questions. I have the uConsole with the R-01 in it. The most painful part is the shutdown time. 2-3 minutes after shutdown -h now before the power is off. Boot time is slow at about a full minute. No GPU makes the GUI really slow, so running word processing on it is hard. I assume web browsing would be not fun either. Running in non-GUI, the cursor is not there and I havenā€™t had time to make it work. It is as advertised, a work in progress. I ordered a CM4 adapter and will switch to that when the parts come in.

3 Likes

Ditching x11 improves performance considerably ā€“ fbterm is much more usable

2 Likes

That was my intent, but the cursor wasnā€™t showing up. I know that has been resolved, but havenā€™t had a chance to get back to it. That CM4S also works well.

Does anyone know where the shortcuts are defined in twm? I couldnā€™t find anything in any of the config files. I would like to change some shortcuts and define additional ones of my own.

Take a peek at /home/cpi/.twmrc you may wish to ssh to your R-01 and use full sized vim in that some of the lines wrap.

1 Like