Show Us Your Customised uConsole

I’m looking to repaint mine, possibly an army green type colour, as I aim to use it for ham radio and outdoor scenarios so feel it would be a better colour scheme. That and the fact that the logos are not straight which is making my OCD tingle :smiley: .

But, I’m also looking for inspiration in case it’s not what I actually want so if you’ve customised your uConsole then let us see it! It can be painted, 3D printed parts added or other modifications.

I will update this comment later with pictures on what I decided to go for.

2 Likes

Seems to be the most valid reason to repaint it.
It would be something that annoys me to but not at that level though.
Certainly post pics if you do though!

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend to put color on it because it could los
E it’s cooling features… Maybe If u use some paint that is for cooling purposes or so maybe crome or gold plating it?

1 Like

Don’t paint the back cover, the rest is fair game.

1 Like

Front cover inspired by this model

Black & Glow-in-the-Dark filament. I think it turned out great!

7 Likes

Did you make any changes?

Only the Logo Inlay - The rest is as is.

Printed on a Prusa mini with manually changing the filament for the inlay - a bit of work but worth it!

1 Like

I added a pine block to mount the stock wifi antenna on the assumption the stock location is surrounded by metal on two sides ruining the signal.
I have not tested the wifi as it seems to connect fine but I am also in the same room as the router.
I have some external antennas I can use if I print a part but so far haven’t needed it…

1 Like

Heres my work. Flip cover lid, antenna/camera pod (camera coming soon), and modified CM4. I’m pretty sure that the RF switch that selects between the PCB antenna and the u.FL port doesn’t work right. I bypassed it (not easy, DO NOT recommend unless you have surface mount soldering experience. That wire looks thick but its 32AWG) and I got a huge improvement in signal. Don’t have the equipment to quantify right this second, I’m looking for a second hand power meter, but I went from not being able to use my bluetooth headset more than a foot or two away to being able to use it across the room.

3 Likes

Done in orange. Green military is upcoming too.

6 Likes

But I recognize this design! It’s nice to see that it serves the community. :heart_eyes:
Edit : very nice added logo !!

A man needs links to the STL files (please).

Sorry about that, I found the lid on thingiverse: Clockwork Pi uConsole screen flip lid cover by LaserNinja - Thingiverse
The pegs on the lid itself I found were too weak, they’d break off after a while. I used a hot awl to make holes where the pegs were and cut off some small diameter screws to replace them. That has worked very well for a couple of months now.

1 Like

Maybe a bright colour would be more appropriate for outdoor use. No reason to camouflage it. You want it to be visible.

Dunno if it counts as a valid modification but here’s my contribution to the thread :D. Handy dandy magnet holder for allen wrench in case of need of emergency (back)cover removal :wink:

3 Likes

Army green sounds awesome, especially for outdoor use! I haven’t repainted mine, but I did add some 3D printed parts to make it more functional. I put on some handles and a stand for better stability. Customizing it definitely makes it feel more personal. Can’t wait to see what you do with yours! I’ll share some pics of mine once I get a chance.

Did create a 3d Printed Case for an external antenna and cover for battery and pi so that i have better access . Will have to fine tune the Measurements and perhaps add the 4G antenna to. Lets see

5 Likes

Only mod I’ve done so far, I need a free night so I can do some soldering.

2 Likes

You could try using regular Scotch tape to lift the logo off the case. I had some tape to hold the antenna/3D-printed-antenna-base while waiting for longer replacement screws to arrive and when I peeled the tape off, it took some of the logo with it. Now I am thinking of just removing the entire “clockwork” logo.

1 Like

Some new mods. Hard to tell but a upgraded track all to!

3 Likes