Solution: Wifi not connecting after apt upgrade

I noticed, that my wifi won’t connect anymore after upgrading packages.
I found the solution here by switching to systemd-networkd:

Just in case someone stumbles upon this.

6 Likes

I had the same problem. What worked for me was copying /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to /boot/

4 Likes

Another heads up:

Your WiFi problems after upgrading MAY also come from WPA3/PMF incompatibility issues.
(a known Linux WiFi implementation problem not quite related to the uConsole)

At least for me that SEEMS to be the problem since it does work without any changes with a random Test-AP with only WPA2 und no PMF enabled, but not with my usual WPA2+WPA3/PMF (mixed-mode) enabled APs.
So you could check if your APs have that enabled and probably try WPA2-only if that works for you, but of course if you only have one AP at your place or so it’s not a permanent solution to downgrade on security.

Didn’t look into it any further since “no WiFi” is quite the show-stopper for further exploring of my shiny new uConsole-toy :wink: … so it’s totally possible that the issue is more related to some other random change and it just happens to be a freak accident that just switching APs worked for me :slight_smile:

(It’s not the firmware-* or uconsole-* or devterm-* packages etc. that get updated. I tried to find the issue with just updating specific packages until it breaks and I find the offending package, but with hundreds of outstanding updates I just gave up finding the culprit at some point and switching to a Lab-AP does the job in my case for now)

2 Likes

I had this issue previously and found manually specifying WPA2 and the connection details worked on my WP2/WPA3/PMF WiFi networks.

This was not on the uConsole however but as you said is likely a Linux thing.

2 Likes

OOOkay… that is pretty awkward now, but indeed - if I just manually setup “WPA2 only” for the “offending” SSIDs in the NetworkManager(?!), it seems to connect for me to the mixed-mode SSIDs, too.

I think I only tried fiddling with the setting in the classic wpa_supplicant.conf, which may have been the wrong route for the uconsole-CM4 distribution(?).

(DISCLAIMER: I’m a network and server guy who usually doesn’t think Linux belongs on the Desktop, except when it does - so my Linux-WiFi experience with all that highlevel systemd and “NetworkManager” and all that (GUI-)stuff is limited :wink: - I usually only run Unix&Linux-SERVERS, including all my Raspis except one (and my DevTerm/uConsole of course :slight_smile: ) is CLI&wired network only)

Thanks for that thought though - SEEMS to permanetly solve “my” WiFi issue.

4 Likes

Glad it worked for you! One of the many quirks I encountered switching my laptop to Linux full-time.

4 Likes

thanks to everyone on this thread paving the way for the rest of us when we receive our uConsole!

3 Likes

linux breathes new life into laptops - i’m on a used del latitude 2110 - 256bb ssd … running i86 distro from Raspian… I have a larger Dell i5 processor also windows 7 vintage - screams on linux - very useful.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the same issue?

I can get a network connection in terminal, so eg I can run apt install code and got rust installed. However, I can’t get any network connection for anything gui wise: so vscode can’t access network, as well as chromium.

1 Like

I installed network-manager-gnome, which provides a new taskbar icon to manage networks.

sudo apt install network-manager-gnome

5 Likes

apt upgraded Wi-Fi & disappeared after reboot. To fix this in terminal do sudo raspi-config, you can get it restored by > Advanced Options > Network Config > selecting [dhcpcd] instead of [Network Manager] and rebooting the OS.( if you don’t see that option in raspiconfig update the tool by hitting update it will then show.)

7 Likes

this works for me

update: actually it doesn’t fix network manager… my network manager is still broken

Marked. It solved my problem!

Very useful, thanks.