Suggestion for GameShell hardware revision

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies if it’s the wrong channel. I bought a DevTerm to try out and I have to say that I’m not all that happy with the ergonomics of it. It’s extremely difficult to both comfortably use the keyboard, as well as look at the screen. If there was a tilt adjustment for the screen it would be far better, but in any case, considering the options, I would probably prefer a handheld device since the keyboard on the DevTerm can neither be used as a thumb keyboard, nor is it sized very well for a touch keyboard (the keys are too small to do this with any speed). The keys are quite a bit smaller than a TRS-80 Model 100 from which the design was inspired.

Anyway, I think a handheld design in size similar to the GameShell would be easier to use since it offers a phone-like thumb layout. If I were to put my two cents in, I’d make a suggestion for a GameShell-like device with a QWERTY keyboard in place of dedicated game controls would make for an interesting product since you can look directly at the screen while typing. I’d also suggest a variant of the GameShell OS with integrated keyboard support (no need for the onscreen keyboard) and replacing some of the game functions with some terminal options like SSH and Telnet clients. Much of the chassis and other component parts like the CPU and battery modules could remain mostly unchanged. “DevTerm Lite” or Mini maybe? Or possibly “HandyTerm”, because it’s not really meant for software development, but is a handheld terminal that is handy in your pocket.

Also, a LoRa messenger option would be a huge plus in my book. :grin:

1 Like