Swapping the R-01 board for the CM4

Hi! New here… and at the end of my rope. I ignored the warning about not buying R-01 if you’re new to this. That said, I learned a lot about RISC-V, very cool stuff.
Now, I flashed the SD card to use a pi CM4 stock OS, bought the adapter board for the CM4, bought the CM4, put it all together… and it doesn’t boot.
I can swap everything back to the R-01 configuration and it boots just fine. How do you convert this guy to a CM4…?
I was hoping there’s some way to test the parts individually, in case it’s a faulty CM4 chip or adapter board, or something. Maybe I’m just doing something wrong. Anyone have experience converting one to another?

Was that CM4 stock image from raspberry pi? If so that won’t work, the device needs drivers and overlays to work properly. There’s an official image on the clockwork GitHub and community images that are more updated. I’d suggest one of the community images that you can find here in the forum.

I don’t distinctly remember, I’m revisiting this after some time. BUT, I will try that and return.
Thank you.

@Rex yeah, can confirm - I’m using the CM4 ROM from the github (GitHub - clockworkpi/uConsole: This code repository offers downloads for the latest images of various uConsole models, along with kernel patches, firmware for the keyboard and 4G expansion module, hardware schematics, assembly instructions, and essential technical documents.)
Just flashed it again, slotted it, power with no boot. I get the R-01 image from the same place, can flash that image back on, swap the boards over, and boot into that one with no problem. I just can’t seem to come over to the CM4.

Double check the you have the CM4 the correct way in the adapter and that it’s fully seated. it will make some loud snaps when seated.

1 Like

Yes, sir. I just removed it, reseated it, confirmed it is snapped in correctly. Reinstalled the board, and it’s still power with no boot. Not so much as even the screen’s backlight comes on, just the power button.
I figured since the R-01 works, I might have a hardware issue with the adapter board or the CM4 chip itself. I just hope not.

what model CM4 did you get? Does it have EMMC?

I don’t remember… Can you tell by seeing it? I might be able to find an order somewhere, maybe pull a s/n or something… What is EMMC?

That is a EMMC model. It’s built in storage for a OS, you can use it but you would need a CM4 io board of some kind to flash the OS to the EMMC storage.
The CM4 cannot access the sd card if it has EMMC.

Shoot… So I either get a new CM4 board, which are costly, or get an IO board for this CM4? I can do some digging around, I appreciate the direction. You wouldn’t happen to have links to any resources, such as the IO board, would you?

I think I found what I need… I guess from here, it’s pretty straightforward. Put my CM4 on this, USB to it, and flash whatever storage is detected; I’m guessing. At least it’s inexpensive.

that’s what i have, it’ll do what you need.

1 Like

The CM4 can be installed the wrong way! based on your photo’s it looks like it’s in right - I dropped mine and it wouldn’t boot - the edge connector of the adapter board had not seated properly - make sure everything is seated - finally - you may feel silly if this is the problem - it needs time to boot the first time after you flashed the card… which CM4 adapter board did you buy - it has to be the CM4 lite variant - the one I purchased and used:

Raspberry Pi Compute Module
4 Lite, 4GB RAM, Wireless,
BCM2711, ARM Cortex-A7

the adapter board has instructions on the correct CM4 verson to buy - PS I’ve replaced the A-06 processor in my Devterm with the CM4 as well using the adapter board…

I only see one adapter board:

And that’s the one I have.

Otherwise, no progress updates… didn’t catch that the IO board doesn’t come with the power supply, so waiting for that to arrive… Should be today though!

For anyone reading this in the future - when you order the IO board, order a power supply with it, a jumper, and a micro-usb cable…

Anyway, it works! Thanks for the help!