The DevTerm keyboard is far too small for grownups to type on

Your diplomatic approach and tone is extremely commendable. As is your openness to see both sides. This is definitely a make or break point; you’re right about that!

It also comes down to what the consumer will use it for. If it’s for a gaming device that just happens to use a keyboard, and is held in a “handheld” fashion, the mini keyboard would certainly be my cup of tea. For development, I would use a wireless BT keyboard and mouse, and only really use the built in ones while commuting etc.

From experience, using a mini keyboard on my old Cassiopeia was useable on a desk (propped up - I’ll talk about that in a moment) balanced on the palm, with another one typing; single handed, or typing with thumbs, handheld.

However! One handed typing would probability better with Dvorak; and hopefully the key caps can be reconfigured. If not, the option go buy it configured with different caps could be an option.

Desk use would probably need to be propped up on a slight angle. My Cassiopeia had a kick stand, but I don’t see one on the devterm at this stage. A base with a prop up portion shouldn’t be too hard to make. Perhaps even a hard shell case that can act as a stand could be made.

Personally, I am for the mini keyboard vs the mx keyboard. My biggest fear with the latter is portability, weight, and sustainability. As mentioned above, the keys would stick up, making it take up far more space, and if it is to be something portable to put in a bag, more prone to debris falling in. The current membrane would still receive the debris, but would keep if contained.

Of course a second point to take in is cost. It’s not a cheap device and adding a mechanical keyboard on top of this would make it outside the price range of most people. Definitely as an upgrade later on, but not as the default stocked configuration.

2 Likes

Is there an existing 39/40-key ortholinear keyboard kit that could be used with low-profile switches in a layout similar to carl’s proposal?

The closest thing I’ve found is the OLKB Planck, which has an additional four keys on each side.

1 Like

From my own experience with small keyboard, what matter the most is the size of the keycaps; and how much they travel and are hard (or not) to push.

A keyboard like the PocketCHIP or my HP-95LX are fine to be used with the thumbs, or a couple fingers, but not like a full fledge keyboard.
But the keyboard of my Pinebook is just awfull to use, but it is not the travel distance or space between keys, it is more about the layout. Some important keys need tortuous combination to get,

In music, lots of people complain about the “mini keys” some synth have, and I really have no problem with them. I know the difference is not exactly the same here, but I suspect the keyboard if the layout is reasonable (not too many important character hidden behind weird key combo) it could work.

It will not fit everyone for sure

2 Likes

I do think the keyboard is a bit on the small size for any touch typing, I’d like to see the devterm get a few different concept ideas for the keyboard. I don’t think a mechanical keyboard would be required though anything that makes it more comfortable would be amazing.

an option would be to make a case and keyboard like that of the READY computerimage

1 Like

Just throwing this out there. The display appears to be the same. So it should be possible.

3 Likes

i think for most people, the keyboard will probably work very well. it looks like the unit is built for both thumb usage and multi-finger typing. without seeing completed units actually in someones hands we’ve had to imagine and approximate, so once said photos/videos come out people will probably be able to say for sure whether it will work for them or not.

1 Like

What is this? It looks incredibly cool. Not the same use as the DevTerm to me, but neat.

1 Like

The lack of scale listed is a concern when looking at a new product. Honestly, if I was using this stationary, I would want to connect a keyboard and a monitor. But when mobile the size would be an advantage. Granted the design heavily resembles an old Tandy Model 100, down to the printer. However once again the lack of listed scale or dimensions that I have found has been a hindrance. In the end, though, I used those mini keyboards for ages with the old Windows CE computers back in the day, so the size should work for when needed.

2 Likes

I was curious too. Google image search produces some results, including:

2 Likes

Well I found this frame while looking for it, maybe it helps

1 Like

why two spaces? A bit strange to me.

I would still possibly use that if it had kick out stands like a keyboard does!
Low profile mech keys exist these days, same top-down dimensions but much less height, which could work great!

4 Likes

If I’m gonna care enough about a keyboard… then i may as well just use my own. and im totally cool with that, since it is fully split, usb and extremely programable, there are few devices that match it.

1 Like

my mistel barcacco has two space bars… but thats because it is in two full seperate halves

1 Like

There are different type of space? (which is probably not the reason why)

You have thin space, normal space, non break space, a narrow non breaking space, …

I will not list all of the because there are too many, but wikipedia have an article about whitespace:

Though I doubt that’s the reason why there are two keys on that keyboard.

1 Like

Almost all the keys on my keyboard are reprogramable. For me, haveing two spacebars just means more macros. The main reason mine has two is due to design. The left side may be used independently of the right side, as a full chording keyboard via macros, even.

The keyboard is definitely too small for everyday use. DevTerm is not intended for that purpose, so I think it should be fine.

1 Like

blackberry and sidekick thumb-boards… ah how i miss thee. these touch screen KBs are lame!

I used Nokia E61 for a while. Love the keyboards a lot!
Now both Nokia and Blackberry are struggling with Android phones that look no difference from other brands.