uConsole The keyboard?

Can you modify the scheme? Swap the position of the Enter key and the Delete key

3 Likes

Totally, agree. Swapping those two looks like it would instantly make the keyboard more useful.

3 Likes

I thought this too – i plan on modifying the keyboard firmware as soon as i can to make this swap. I don’t think it’ll be easy-possible to swap the key labels themselves, but such is life…

2 Likes

What exactly is your problem?

1 Like

All other keyboards have enter below backspace/delete so it will go against all muscle memory you have when using this layout. I cannot think of any benefits to the proposed layout and agree with this post.

4 Likes

Production is already running and shipping will start in a few days, so I don’t think there will be any hardware changes now.

Production is running? Shipping that soon, thought it was Jan/Feb timeframe.

Will the SMD (SMD = Surface Mound Diode I just learned) Switches produce a clicking sound when typing? I’m not a keyboard connoisseur. I’m assuming it’s Rubber Dome type switches. Are they the same as the ones currently on the Dev-term? Are they like chicklet laptop keyboards? If they don’t make a sound (at night) that would be a plus for my marriage…

1 Like

Are you saying the Uconsole is shipping in a few days? or are you referring to something else?

2 Likes

I only ask because it says the (estimated delivery time is approximately 90 business days.)

1 Like

hmm, they probably won’t change the layout anymore, but I’m certain you can remap the keys either via xmodmap or customizing the keyboard’s firmware (see the source code on Github)

It might be possible to switch the keycaps, but I wouldn’t risk it…

also, @IoannisTw please don’t be so rude…

1 Like

Have you ever used a qwerty keyboard? I created an account just to call you out and ask what exactly is your problem? Seems like a vocal part of the userbase has an issue with the keyboard layout. I’m sure delays on a pre-order product to make customers entirely happy upon receiving would be the worst thing to every happen.
Geez, I have went from contemplating buying this device + other SOCs, but now I’m just turned off by the users in this forum.

Hello,

in my opinion the keyboard is fine and there is no need to change these keys. Maybe stickers are a good compromise. You can switch the keys via software and label them with stickers (without delay).

I even find the enter better up, because the thumb is more comfortable up than down.

Greetings,
Rene

Did you guys ever think why the designer of ClockworkPi DESIGNED the keyboard layout like this? I think they intentionally DESIGNED it this way. Maybe for a handheld device, you could press RETURN key much easier at this position, and maybe RETURN is much frequencely pressed then BACKSPACE key. They must make this decision after detailed test on some prototype.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m waiting to try it before judging. It looks like a choice they’ve made for a good reason. The Return key at the bottom right when tapping on a iPhone keyboard, I have to contort my thumb a bit. Having the return key right there next to 0 and P might be a winner. Don’t just assume because something is different than your norm, it must be worse. Bad way to live life.

2 Likes

Geez, I have went from contemplating buying this device + other SOCs, but now I’m just turned off by the users in this forum.

seems to me most people are fine, other then one or two bad apples…

1 Like

He is a clown should have known better lol.

1 Like

I am thinking since the front panel is modular, maybe they can release a reversed version of keyboard rubber face? I am also thinking they can release a “gamer mode layout” for only play games since the keyboard is modular.

1 Like

In the forum, I saw that the player designed

5 Likes

Seems very reasonable…