Undertale on clockworkpi

So this question has been in my mind for a while, especially since the game seems perfect for a portable setting but from what I have read even though the linux bianary doesnt work using wine allows you to run x86 games. I have a GOG copy that I tested through my linux laptop and it appears to work fine but playing it through a .sh command that cd’s to the directory and runs the app using wine seems to crash in execution. Am I missing something? Any help would be awesome! Thomas

1 Like

It seems like it’s not possible, though I’d like to see someone try.

Wine wouldn’t be an option on Gameshell since it would only be able to run ARM binaries (like from Windows RT). The reason Wine works on laptop/desktop Linux is because it’s already X86 based.

But Undertale is made using GameMaker and people have already hacked out the game resources and run it under Android using the launcher for other GameMaker based games. That project is still probably online somewhere although the original creator removed it because he was hassled way too much by people.

The link below suggests using the game resource hack to get it running on a Pi using one of the other GameMaker game launchers for Pi (same technique as the Android method). It sounds like someone almost succeeded but the RAM requirements were too high. Since the Gameshell has no additional RAM, I assume the same problem would occur and we’d get a white screen and no game. It might be possible with the addition of a swap file, as mentioned on some other threads in the forum here, used for compiling particularly large programs that required too much memory. It would probably run slowly with a swap file though, but it might work.

There’s also mention of GL in this thread, which could mean the currently buggy Lima drivers in Gameshell 0.3 might have an issue with it. (Or maybe not, would be interesting to try!)

Also, I’d be curious to know if anyone can get the three games for Pi listed here running on a Gameshell:

The method to get Undertale running depends on one of these games being able to run. I tried them a while back and they all just exited with an error. It’s been a while so I forget the actual error, but I think it had to do with bcm_host which appeared to be a Raspberry Pi library that wasn’t available on Gameshell. It would be cool if someone could figure out how to support that on Gameshell as it would probably allow more Raspberry Pi games like these to run. :slight_smile:

1 Like