What do you want to do with your uConsole?

I have the SL- 5500 - did not know they made later versions! wow!!!

I use DevTerm as a portable ADS-B receiver.

uConsole will work better as a more compact and rugged portable receiver.

8 Likes

As a console to play old DOOM I & II, Wolf3D, Commander Keen and such :slight_smile:

But definitely I plan to have one distro of OS with offline knowledge - Kiwix with full Wikipedia dump (I have one from 2021 of ~90GB), books library, C compiler+IDE and some CAS.

Ooh offline database of everything on a palmtop… Downloading. :smiley:
Never imagined having ArchWiki at hand without internet. This will make it different.
Having tried LinuxFromScratch, the thing that impress me most is the confidence to proceed in the dark because it never fell short of offline documentation.

I think first, I would like to get a shipping notification, then receive it. Maybe open it. I don’t want to get too carried away, right?

3 Likes

look at the Ops Shell for the DevTerm - it updates the ruggedness! (free 3D print model)

I think I went through a Psion stage - it had a built in Irda (I have an Irda modem … somewhere…) and a clamshell — of coarse don’t know what happened to it… then I bought a PocketPC phone - wifi and MSportable - Verizon - used it send emails on wifi for a long time… then there where the desert years… then flip phone … then Linux and new life for old laptops and desktops , … then Raspberry pi ! and now DevTerm and Clockwork…

I had an HP100LX that I carried everywhere. Even had a C compiler on it. Ran for weeks on a pair of AA batteries. No network though. I did like the form factor.

1 Like

I am looking to see if i can find space in the case for LORA board, load it with the Rnode firmware and have long range wireless management using MQTT of some sensors.

1 Like

i have the Lilygoboard - so far it integrates barometric and a lightning dectector board. working on the wifi interface next…

Is the uConsole supposed to replace the DevTerm or does each have its own use cases? I only have the GameShell.

That is an interesting question - (in a Jordan Peterson voice) … I have the DevTerm - I’ve put the OpShield on it and taken it on ham radio camping trips, when I travel , and it is my daily carry computer. etc. I have a smart phone too. The DevTerm is more stable for reviewing code than my phone . I have mainly software development tools - Visual Studio , Arduino, as well as Notepadqq, MariaDB (SQL), NodeRed and Grafana, although the screen is relatively wide it does make for a usefull side by side appliance for reference material in one column and a simple code editor on the other. I use it to read and answer email. As a home unit I have an external portable gaming screen and stands that make it useful for larger feature rich programming environments. I utilize a Logitec Keyboard and Mouse that can be shared between my laptop and the DevTerm. The uConsole has a narrower but taller screen and while it’s keyboard is narrower too - it may be optimized for thumb typing ( reminiscent of the Zaurus 5100 and PDA’s of yesteryear) etc. So I expect to port some applications over to the uConsole I look forward to some field activities this summer where I can make a better comparison. Also I intend to carry the uConsole in my backpack rather than the DevTerm on a daily basis. Processors are about the same spectrum, (both use the same CPU board or very similar) DevTerm has 3 USB ports a built in printer, uConsole has 1 USB port , and an optional 4G modem. I have an external portable bluetooth printer I use with my phone and have not taken time to configure it for use with the Clockwork computer.

2 Likes

Not sure what I’ll do with mine. I might use it as a dedicated PICO8 machine, but I could probably have it boot directly into the Commander X16 emulator or another retro home computer emulator.

i bought in the hope of learning ARM assembler on it as more of a dedicated machine, instead of emulating with my laptop and having too many distractions…

Anyone else on the same boat perchance?

2 Likes

Its is going to be my dedicated pico-8 Dev machine as well! Seems a perfect fit for it! Furthermore a great little terminal device for my servers at home

I’m aiming to install Fedora Silverblue on it and use it for reading, note taking, etc. on my commute. Since I ordered the Raspberry Pi version the first should not be too difficult.

4 Likes

Very nice application !!

ive been surprised with how usefull open office is on the devterm…

1 Like

This causes me physical pain :laughing:

1 Like

I’m probably mostly going to be in Emacs though.

3 Likes