What do you want to do with your uConsole?

Hi,

I wan’t to program with the UConsole, when I’m on the go or I can’t sleep (bedroom programmer). Also, I want to build some things around the uConsole. First I want build a dockingstation.

What do you want to do with your uConsole?

Greetings,
Rene

6 Likes

If I’m honest I’m probably going to be playing a lot of Nethack and Pico8 on crowded trains.

Also I’m going to be doing some programming, trying to live entirely on the command line for fun, and studying the hardware build to learn and get ideas for my own cyberdeck designs.

9 Likes

6 hours of RDP(cloud desktop) session on the go

1 Like

Mine’s gonna be a portable Emacs machine. Mostly editing text that lives on another server somewhere, and some light lisp programming locally.

8 Likes

I’ve ran an SDR receiver and ham radio software on the DevTerm - only one USB port will require a powered hub… The smaller uConsole makes for a more portable solution…

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to making tracker music on my uConsole! I’ve always wanted something for this purpose. I started out composing with NitroTracker on my DS, but as my skills increased the lack of fx commands (pitch bend, arpeggio, etc.) began to hold me back. The desire to make tunes on the go has never escaped me though!

9 Likes

I am going to start out with Pico8 and Tic-80 and see where that takes me.

10 Likes

Well I was going to put Android on it and use a lot of the cool apps they have (GeoCache app, Radio, GPS mapping etc) but forgot it doesn’t have a touchscreen. So probably run Pi OS or something, so depends on what apps they have.

I want to check out that WeeChat app. I wouldn’t mind getting g DOS box working and finishing Lands of Lore.

I guess I’d like it to become a bit of a utility belt. If the world goes to shit, I want to still be able to use it as a tool and communication.

4 Likes

Are you going to make a portable CB radio or something else? Do you have any links to sites regarding this? It would be an interesting project.

1 Like

There are skins and such now for Nethack? Or am I getting it mixed with another game.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to come up with a justification for it besides “Wow, this thing looks so cool!”
I’ll keep my eye on this thread for ideas.
:grin: :+1: :computer:

4 Likes

There are many skins for nethack. You may be thinking about the release of dwarf fortress that is coming soon on steam where it has options for actual graphics over just text.

3 Likes

you might be able to receive cb (~50 mhz) but ham vhf/uhf or GMRS/FRS/ public service FM works with the SDR receiver - I’ve found they will receive reliably down to about 100 mhz…

3 Likes

Well, I like the idea that his could be a great for retro gaming, so installing DOOM is a TOP priority! Beyond that… I’ve never been much for programming, but I might give Pico-8 a try. I also think it might make a great media playback device with an external SSD and battery pack! I also thought of turning it into a Organizer/PDA with a bunch of apps like a basic calendar, contact manager, to-do list, etc.! Kind of a shame it does not have a touch screen, but I think I’ll be fine with the trackball… If not a bluetooth mouse is always an option!

7 Likes

I really like your the PDA idea. I never had a Zaurus, Newton, or Palm Pilot but I always wished I had one. It’s the Linux PDA of my dreams!

6 Likes

I have a sharp Zaurus - no connectivity except a IRda Modem… technology seams so primitive today - the wifi modem was an CF card - and drained the battery down in 20 min or so… but it’s applications where well thought out… and the linux versions did have console…

4 Likes

Well, I kind of have a specific use in mind.

As I am using Taskwarrior for project management combined with Timewarrior for documenting my time, and vimwiki for personal knowledge system, it is a bit of pain to always go to my laptop to run next time command/check task/write a note in the vimwiki repo.

I do have syncing with my Android device enabled but I am not happy how the input on Android smartphone works right now.

I need my neo vim (with my config)!!!

Also being independent of proprietary software on my android means more security for my notes.

I just want to put a light window manager on the uConsole and bind my favorite keybindings to quickly do what I would normally do on my laptop, just have the laptop always easily accessible.

And whenever I pickup my phone I get distracted immediately, so hopefully I will be more productive using uConsole.

8 Likes

Cheers for the tip. Went down a rabbit hole, looks like the nooelec NESDR is the go.

2 Likes

probably going to do some hardware mods to mine to add:

• a large SSD
  • full-sized HDMI
  • ethernet
  • RS-232
  • more USB-A’s
  • more USB-C’s
  • an SD slot besides the boot SD for my 3d-printer and shit
  • a line-in and line-out port, which i’ll hopefully use some software or hardware to output both the device’s sound & the analog voice sound
  • maybe some other stuff

i intend to connect all of this by attaching a usb hub to the internal pogo pins for the keyboard, and connecting the keyboard to the hub as well as adapters for USB-C, serial, ethernet, etc
the full-sized HDMI will just be an adapter i connect to the micro-HDMI port that’s builtin
if i haven’t covered any other explanations please lmk

i want to do all of this so i can use the uConsole as a replacement for my phone, and laptop – one computer for communication, work, and play while i’m on the go. the uConsole is essentially the hardware i’ve been dreaming about for years, but haven’t been able to get. the closest i got was a TI Nspire CX

oh also i’ll probably make like a 3d-printed shroud to house all of the external adapters and shit

5 Likes

also if anyone wants those files once i get the uConsole and make the shit, lmk, i’ll prolly put 'em up on github/gitlab or on my site (spv.sh)

also do y’all think uConsole is pronounced “you console” or “micro console” with the u standing in for the greek letter mu (μ), for micro

3 Likes