clockworkpi

Will it support Raspberry Pi CM4?

CM4 seems really powerful. On the other hand, it’s also said to emit a lot of heat. Its interface is also different from CM3. There seems to be some adapters, such as https://www.gumstix.com/manufacturer/raspberry-pi/cm4-uprev.html, but this one seems much wider than a CM3.
Will CM4 be supported in the future?

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Lots of people have been asking about it. I think they might because the DevTerm has a fan so it might be possible.

Both the clockwork A-0602 and A-0604 have a cortex A72, which is what the Raspberry Pi 4 has; just the raspberry Pi is clocked at 1.5GHz and the Clockwork Pi is clocked at 1.8GHz.

The clockwork pi also has an arguably more powerful quad core Mali T864/T860 MP4 GPU, compared to the raspberry pi’s videocore VI. From memory the die is smaller on the t864 (28nm) compared to the videocore VI’s (40nm) which should in theory be cooler.

I may have overlooked something, but statistic wise, the Clockwork Pi high end offering seems to be the better choice, and comparable in price.

I’m not sure exactly how having a fan would immediately mean that a raspberry Pi 4 will work, seeing as due to its configuration of overheating components, it would need a specifically made/targetted heat sink that conducts heat away from the hot spots.

I’d be weary of anyone who says that the raspberry Pi 4 would be compatible, without any anecdotal evidence. Currently, all evidence points to it not being compatible.

3 Likes

what if we overclock the CPi?

1 Like

There 100% WILL be people who are doing it. In which case, I know a certain “maker” on this forum who might come up with a very nice modified case with a larger form factor to cater for potential larger HSF setups. :wink:
That said, the flagship unit sounds it sounds like it might possibly be the same specs as the rpi4; just clocked 300MHz higher, in which case it might come overclocked by default.

Before we start a war, this is reminding me of this thread from the gameshell.

I resonate with @Godzil’s words.

It sounds like it’s already going to be plenty powerful.

1 Like

There is a CM4 to CM3 board available by Gumstix.

If it works and how well it works is TBD. Will it even fit? Maybe?

Something worth testing however.

1 Like

Will it fit? the answer is I’m quite sure no, unless you make a new back for the DevTerm, which is probably going to be a problem, even with a 3D printer, the DT is not that small