Can it support jvm?

Can it support java virtual machine to develop games with Kotlin and libgdx framework

It’s just Linux on an ARM processor, so yes it can.

1 Like

If you build one of the JVM, probably, but don’t expect stellar performances, not really sure what you can achieve on such a device.

If you are planning on setting up the JVM on this I would strongly recommend doing your own memory management vs. relying on the JVM garbage collector as it can be a real resource hog.

C has a similar problem. The C garbage collector doesn’t always work the way it’s supposed to; I don’t know if the same people made the JVM. The staff mentioned that Python would be a primary programming language.

See example:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/204880/discussions/0/364040797995018152/

Are you referring to C#? C does not have a garbage collector, that’s part of the reason people use C is because you as the developer handle the reserving and freeing of memory and can get performance increases this way, typically, since you don’t need the garbage collector running.

I don’t use apple products. :grin:

C# is a Microsoft thing. The Apple one is Objective-C (recently deprecated by Swift).

What’s the difference between those and regular C?

Excellent question! C# is essentially Java, but it was made by Microsoft to run on their .NET framework’s “Common Language Runtime” (CLR) which is to C# what the JVM is for Java. This gave those developing for Windows a common platform to target that had more features than C/C++ and was not Java.

Objective-C was originally made by NeXT, that computer company Steve Jobs ran before he went back to Apple, and for that reason Objective-C came with him to be the language Mac applications use to interact with Apple’s development stack.

For the scope of this conversation, Objective-C is much closer to C since it’s more low level and requires manual memory management while C# is one abstraction level higher than C and uses garbage collection to free up memory automatically. C will work on both Windows and Mac, but it doesn’t come with the same support and blessings that C# and Objective-C have, respectively, for the two platforms. This means you cannot use the .NET framework (Windows) or Cocoa framework (Mac) as easily if you’re using C.

TL;DR: C# and Objective-C allow developers to use the software stack provided by the OS for developing applications. C is good for services that do not need that stuff and needs to run really fast.

1 Like

Ah, so the Apple C is similar to regular C, except NeXT designed it to encompass the peripherals better.

P.S. Thanks for the info! I always appreciate a good memory. I forgot that Objective-C belonged to Apple.

More that Objective-C interacts with NeXT / Apple’s software stack (namely for UI stuff with Cocoa, but this is a gross over-simplification). You can run Objective-C on any platform using GNUstep (but I highly recommend against it). If you want to see the differences between C and Objective-C, you can see these two examples for comparison.

I always preferred Gnome to GNU. I hope NeXT made Objective-C to work with Gnome as well as with GNU. I don’t need to use either language since I don’t purchase those products. Cocoa does sound nice though.

gnu-300x249

1. GNOME literally stands for “GNU Network Object Model Environment”, it’s part of the GNU project.
  2. NeXT stopped being a thing since 1998, and GNUstep just allows for the use of the Cocoa libraries using Objective-C outside of Mac, which isn’t very useful since it’s really buggy and things like QT exist.
  3. While GNUstep is buggy and unstable, C# can be used outside of Windows using Mono and recently the .NET core when Microsoft open-sourced it.

I do wonder what your ultimate purpose is. I guess I got what I wanted anyway. Apple owns Objective-C, and NeXT made Objective-C for Gnome.

NeXT made Objective-C for their OS NeXTSTEP, and GNOME was made by a guy not in NeXT a less than a year before NeXT was closed down. GNOME is primarily written in C, but apparently anecdatally has 19 lines of Objective-C in its codebase, but that’s 0.0002% of the codebase that spans 8,698,502 lines of code.

See, I have an ulterior motive that exists primarily in the channel of the imaginary, a concept quite foreign to the Von-Neumann nakba. You must understand that when normal people read something like that, they connect with it vis a vi reader response. And believe me, what I’m saying has some validity, even if Gnome has to be converted to be as compatible with Apple’s gooey as is Gnu.

If you’re just trying to show that I have an ulterior motive whilst you don’t, then you’re defeating the whole social concept as it pertains to human community. And you’d either be confused or essentially blind in some extraordinary sense. But I suppose you’d be useful.

See, I’m a fan of comedy.

BushLaughing-Right%20(2015_07_29%2012_25_31%20UTC)
If it’s fear, then I can understand. I’m a sinful man myself.

The Objective C language as not been design by NeXT but yes they used it as their base language to have a modern object language on top of C.

GNUSTEP works reasonably well, in fact it works really well, to the point that’s it is nearly just a matter of recompilarion for Cocoa apps to run with GNUSTEP.

By the way, Cocoa is a framework but is not the base of the language, you can make an Objective C app without using either Cocoa or GNUSTEP.
ObjC was invented in 1983, way before NeXT or even the release of the original macintosh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C#History
Apple own no language other than AppleScript or the recent Swift. ObjC is independent from Apple.

The gnome project is closely related to the gimp project, gnome is based on GTK which was written for Gimp (GTK stand for Gimp ToolKit) and is completely unrelated to GNUStep, WindowsMaker, ObjectiveC or C# (the few ObjC lines must be GTK support for MacOS X)

C# is not Java, it have some similarity but not based Ă  all on it, the way the language is made is too different from java to make it as a clone.

2 Likes

Oh I LOVE gimp! Thanks, @Godzil. Anyway, I’m pretty sure that regular C, especially C++ I know for sure, can do object-oriented solutions. I learned that in Y minutes. I heard there used to be a B language, but it didn’t study. Rumor has it there’s an A language, but it isn’t. It didn’t do well.

C can kind of do object oriented if you count structs. However, C is not generally considered an object oriented language as it lacks many of the higher level constructs which are usually associated with object oriented languages. Most notably, C does not have classes. This is where C++ comes in. C++ allows for higher level constructs (objects) to be created by using classes. However, unlike Java and many other object oriented languages it still requires you to do your own memory management. C++ is also the primary language used in game development which I’m told has a large part to do with the fact that many of the graphics libraries and physics libraries are written in C++. The last part is just something I’ve heard some of the older programmers at one of the user groups I attend talk about so feel free to take that with a grain of salt.

1 Like