Clamshell Style Gameshell

I was excited to see the Gameshell when it was first announced, and I still hold a certain love for the machine, but I was disappointed by the lack of L and R buttons. What I would absolutely love to see is a clamshell design of the Gameshell that has more than the four included buttons, perhaps even a few analog sticks. I would gladly pay the extra price to see this happen. I hope ClockworkPi continues working on projects like these.

You can buy the lightkey module which adds l r zl and zr buttons

Interesting. Although I can’t seem to find a video that demonstrates this feature.

It is shown on the stretch goals of the original Kickstarter campaign. It ads l r zl and zr as well as an extra button in the middle

It looks a bit bulky for my taste. I would much rather have a clamshell design.

I agree, the ‘lightkey module’ is cool, but it’s way too bulky at the back of the device

It takes a while to get used to but it feels like second nature to me now

Yeah a clamshell design might be a bit hard as you would have to make a ribbon cable extension if it is to be like a ds or Gameboy advance sp, I think that designing anew case like the Gameboy advance would be better mainly as I personally find it more comfortable then the ds or GBA sp.

Sorry for the late reply, but I just checked back to see if there was anything new on the website.

Here’s an example of a clamshell handheld being assembled. It’s easier than you think.

I wouldn’t go for the clamshell design myself. The gameshell design as it is, is why i liked it. I don’
t want it to look like a DS or some flip phone with a keypad, or a DS- GO or something., Those things look cheap and , imo, the gameshell retro design ,as it is, is a solid design and ,it is easy to assemble. Just putting my opinion, if anyone else disagrees feel free .

But there are plenty of clamshell designed android or linux devices out there and if gameshell looked like that, it may not even have much to differentiate itself from t he rest, to be blunt.

1 Like

Why not sell both? I do like the current design, but i would love to see a clamshell design that follows the same style as the Gameshell. More options are always good. :wink: