Custom D.E.O.T. V2.0+/Clockwork OS v0.5 image - With customised DEOT interface, Kernel 5.7, Optional 1400MHz OC, Debian 10 Buster, Retroarch 1.9.0, Mupen64+ plus more! (Current build: 200903)

hi! Ok I did the fix for the flickering and works :slight_smile: but now I canā€™t connect to any wifi :frowning:

Any fix for that? Or I need to flash the image again? I did the fix on a older image not the lastest if this helps

1 Like

Oh wait what??? Are you using it on the latest DEOT specific image? This is very interesting news!
Try using the script to change back to one of the other kernels and see if it helps.

In fact before that, as silly as it sounds; just try restarting it. And try restarting your modem.

The one thing I may have forgotten to do was run make modules_install after compiling the kernel. But the fact that itā€™s working on my image makes me think that I did do it.

I havenā€™t had many people report back after trying this hot fix, so fingers crossed itā€™s an isolated incident. You shouldnā€™t have to reflash, as itā€™s only adding an extra kernel option. Like I said above, you should be able to just switch back, and everything will be back to normal.

If youā€™re still having problems with the new kernel active, Iā€™ll try recompiling the kernel again and upload it.

Iā€™m not in the latest version of your deot image, may be 3 versions back.

Well changing to another kernel from TEST goes back to flickering and got back my wifi, here more detailed:
5306 - No flicker, wifi works
5406 - Flicker, wifi works
5421 - Flicker, wifi works
5424 - Flicker, wifi works
5509 - Flicker, wifi works
If I go back to TEST, wifi does not come back and no flicker.

Maybe I should flash your last deot image and do the flicker fix and see if the same happens.

1 Like

Yes please do! It will be good to know if this is indeed a guaranteed fix or not!

OK so I did flash your last image and do the flickering fix.

Works, wifi works so my old image was the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to dl a new version, killed my old install lol

I can confirm as well that the flickering is fixed for 200626 image by following your post (thanks for that). It was driving me nuts this thing. I honestly thought I flashed the image wrongly or I did something that I shouldnā€™t have in the process hence the flickering. Good thing I came back on the forum to check it out and then I saw there was an actual patch for that particular problem.

The patch works but I did encountered this problem:

cpi@clockworkpi:~$ chmod +x wget -0 /home/cpi/apps/Menu/60_Utils/08_Kernel/5.7.0b
chmod: cannot access ā€˜+xā€™: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ā€˜wgetā€™: No such file or directory

To which i then did cpi@clockworkpi:~$ chmod +x /home/cpi/apps/Menu/60_Utils/08_Kernel/5.7.0b (hoping it will work - not sure if i did something wrong by removing wget and -0, hehe).

Then followed the rest of the steps and the flicker was fixed. I am not sure why it errored out (it was a copy paste from the forum so it should have worked).

Anyway - now itā€™s flicker free. And I actually did not noticed that the flickering made the whole screen look fuzzy. Now itā€™s cristal clear.

2 Likes

Hoo hoo thank you very much for finding that!! Thatā€™s why I need testers!!
A copy paste typo blunder! Complete oversight.

Hereā€™s what that section should be. (I erroneously copy pasted the wget -O from the previous line when it wasnā€™t needed)

wget -O /home/cpi/apps/Menu/60_Utils/08_Kernel/5.7.0b https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sdh7a7bcefmkdc/uImage?dl=1
chmod +x /home/cpi/apps/Menu/60_Utils/08_Kernel/5.7.0b

The wget of the first line downloaded the fix.
The chmod of the second lined changed the mode/permissions to make it executable/runnable.
You did the right thing, removing the extra wget!

Hopefully people either picked up on this error and fixed it themselves like you did, or they will see this update. The post with the fix has been edited with this fix.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Might be helpful to do a minor update to your image ā€“ I imagine there will be a few folks who try it, hit the flickering problem, and not go looking and find this post to see how to fix it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only had about 3 people report back that it works. Given that mine actually didnā€™t need the fix, there might be some variation in boards.
But eh, I guess I could just provide two image versions?
It is meant to be an out of box experience after all.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fix, it fixed the flickering issue for me. Sometimes it start flickering, like when I quit tetrarch, but this happens randomly. After reapplying the fix everything goes back to normal.

2 Likes

Odd!! Reapplying the fix??? That ā€¦ shouldnā€™t need to happen, since itā€™s just a kernel replacement.
Could you possibly try just restarting it next time the glitch comes back? Part of the script is a reboot command.
Good thing I didnā€™t make a release with it yet. Itā€™s still needing more testing it seems.

Hi mate, great work.
But I have some issue with it.
I have flashed my sd card for this (using Raspberry Piā€™s tool). The image is not corrupted, as I have checked the md5.
Everything is fine but when I turn on my GameShell, I can only hear the sound (the green led is flashing), but I cant see anything.
The display shall be fine as I have been using it before flashing the new OS.
Any help?

Oh thatā€™s very odd! Hmmm.
The first thing Iā€™m thinking is what you mean by having flashes raspberry piā€™s too.
Are you possibly trying to flash this onto a DevTerm using a raspberry Pi board? Afaik, not many people put raspberry Pi OS onto a gameshell.
The fact that thereā€™s sound when you boot it up (is it a mega man beam charge sound) would imply that it installed fine.
Perhaps try booting up with it plugged in via USB, and SSH into it via Ethernet over USB.
Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is possibly reflashing on a different card, and waiting longer for it to repartition itself to take up all the space available.
Itā€™s hard to diagnose whatā€™s happening when neither of us can see the screen!

yeah, it shall be fine, but I can see no display.
I mean raspberryā€™s software tool. I flashed the SD card on my mac with the the Raspberry Imager. Maybe I will flash again?

ahā€¦ found the reason. The dispaly ribbon might be wierd.
Now, I dont have my A04 unit but have a broken GS

Well, this is not normal, right?

Is it static distortion, or intermittent flickering?
The good news is, you have something on the screen. But the fact that it changed when you checked your ribbon makes me think itā€™s a problem with the ribbon. Check your ribbon again. There could be a tear in it. Otherwise, Check the OP in this thread, and scroll down to the ā€œscreen flickeringā€ section.

Yeah, it is screen flockering. I will check that, cheers!

1 Like

Iha ve problem with final release, my screen flicker and put showdown the gameshell.
The hardware is ok, with official release is all ok.
Thanks