DevTerm OS R01 image files

v0.3 is just pre-installed the fbturbo driver 0.1 which @yatli made

nothing else new to v0.2

and your v0.1 wont be dead I think, just need ssh into the DT ,or mount the sdcard on any linux PC

to remove the files

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-d1.conf 
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbturbo_drv.*
/usr/local/bin/r01-dispfd-daemon.elf

once again ,very sorry for the unconvince

Yes, I did that shortly after I posted here. I then switched my profile to stay at the console instead of loading X. I just don’t have any time to deal with this at this time. So it will be unusable until I can find some time.

It’s just 3 commands away…

Unfortunately not. I had an evening to put back into it and after running the three commands, and having already uninstalled the package, its still searching for /dev/dri/* which isn’t available.

So I grabbed a blank uSD and installed the v0.2 OS, apt-get upgraded it and installed the new accelerated driver. I’m impressed with the performance boost enough that I decided rather than trying to figure out where in that 8Gigs of files Xorg is going wrong that my time would be better spent porting my changes to the new OS.

I’m really curious to see how the CPU time saved writing to the display impacts performance of other things like compiling stuff… which was astoundingly slow.

For everyone else’s information the v0.2 OS fixes one of my four (see Sep 22) original issues with the R01 OS. Video speed for doing simple 2D pixel manipulations (ie scrolling text, popping up windows, …) is VERY good. :tada:

• the cursor in the console still isn’t operational, although I saw some chatter about that above, I’ll look into.
  • I don’t know about the font selection in the non-CUPS driver yet.
  • input-mousedev is still not built into the kernel.

1 out of 3 things were fixed. But this is a really BIG thing in terms of experience and the effort required on their part.

Thanks @yatli & whoever else was involved.

Hey glad to know you have it working now!
The console cursor issue needs a modified kernel (see DevTerm OS R01 image files - #11 by yatli); I’m working on a few stuff on the R01 kernel altogether. Still need some final touches. Will let you guys know when I finish that.

1 Like

Yeah… didn’t get it working. Just decided to move on to using the new OS for its benefits. I’m probably 20+hrs out retrofitting my changes. With this being the warm season and the added demands on my time… maybe next month…

Yea, understood that. While you’re at it could you please make sure to enable CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV and related settings.

Oh! And one other thing: when will a precompiled version with install instructions be available. If I’ve missed the location of the binary and docs, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Yea, understood that. While you’re at it could you please make sure to enable CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV and related settings.

Noted.

when will a precompiled version with install instructions be available

Yeah, by “modified kernel” I mean I’ll call for @guu 's help to push it into the cpi package repo. Hope it does not break things this time!

@yatli and anyone else who might be interested I figured out how to fix my broken X. I HATE leaving a mystery unsolved! :disguised_face: I restored /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-d1.conf from my backup and its now using the plain ole frame buffer driver. That was the only one of your supplied rm commands that actually did anything. The others’ targets were missing after dpkg -P. Apparently Xorg tries to find the DRM device unless its told otherwise and the config in my backup copy instructs it to use the frame buffer “FBDEV”.

FYI: you can use a Debian “diversion” to move aside the original config upon package installation and then restore it when the package is removed. This would have essentially unbroke my device. Just like “undo”.

Thanks for the help!

Using the latest image, no luck with fbturbo driver. Tried updating everything, too.

Screen was garbled, maybe the right colors but no visuals.

Going back to the standard framebuffer and it’s… working but nearly unusable.

Got this over and over in the kernel:

[G2D] (g2d_image_check) line:371: Invalid imager parameter setting
root@uConsole-R01:/home/cpi# uname -a
Linux uConsole-R01 5.4.61+ #7 PREEMPT Thu Aug 31 14:36:23 CST 2023 riscv64 riscv64 riscv64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas where to go from here? Ah, wait, does it only work for devterm?