DevTerm Shipping and First Impressions Thread

The keyboard is fine. The biggest problem for me is accidentally hitting the mouse buttons instead of the space bar. It’s the same height as the rest of the keys, and not on the edge.

At the end of the day, it just means I can’t hit the space bar with my thumb; instead needing to use my index finger. I just noodles around with possibly remapping the middle mouse button to a space bar. I think that would actually work and solve my problem. But that’s just me. I mainly use my Devterm on my lap.

Initially the track ball was too slow, but there has been some development on that front in this thread: I've rewritten DevTerm keyboard & trackball firmware

It’s now much better to use!

Another way I sometimes type is with my thumbs alone, like a smart phone. I have small hands, and my thumbs can reach all the keys, holding it like a game boy. It just gets hard to do chorded key strokes.

I think there is definitely going to need to be some break in period for the keys. It’s a membrane style, and some of them don’t have the same tactile feel. I’ll give it some more time and love. See where it goes. I haven’t had it long enough to really give any conclusive insight!

1 Like