GameShell OS image files (v0.5)

The instructions generally worked for me. A few tips that folks have already mentioned:

• If you know how to ssh into your gameshell from a separate computer, its a lot simpler to just use wget to download the patch file within your session. This might take a while since its 84mb (!!)
  • the apt-get commands will take a while. Make sure you’re plugged into a charger and that the gameshell doesn’t go into sleep mode
  • When prompted, I chose “use the config that the package manager provides” as the option. Didn’t seem to affect the ability for the script to execute its update BUT you should probably keep the config as per @javelinface comment below
  • As someone above already mentioned, make sure you use the chmod +x command to make the patch script executable
  • I had made sure to disable the OP-1 skin and switched back to the default skin when updating the launcher from the UI. However when I rebooted I got stuck into the Loading... screen. Luckily I was still able to SSH into the gameshell to poke around. When I rebooted the launcher using the commands listed in this post [SOLVED] Reload Launcher from SSH I saw that a python script was segfaulting socket.error: [Errno 97] Address family not supported by protocol. I don’t know if this directly fixed it but I tried removing all the skins installed under /home/cpi/skins and rebooted the device with sudo reboot and everything worked fine after that!
2 Likes