Highest order number that received the shipment notice

I ordered just the adapter board yesterday, #2227x. I have the uConsole with R-01 and will eventually switch to the CM4.

2 Likes

199XX

Had this reply from support by email early July:

Sorry for the waiting.

We are shipping the first batch.

According to your order number, your order will be in the following batches, but won’t be too much later.

Please check https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/update-uconsole-shipping-related

2 Likes

“Following batches” isn’t quite the same as the “next batch”, basically they are saying you’ll get your device “someday” :wink:

1 Like

the communication from clockwork is terrible. last post in the shipping forum from Alex was that they’d pooched and not sent the adapters with some of the CM4 orders and would have to setup a new shipment with those. nothing about when the next batch will ship or how many per batch. i figured once customs had cleared whatever cellular chipset was in question that the orders would be flowing. everyone keeps saying it’s a niche company but even people that sell bespoke items on etsy will tell you if they run into issues or be able to give a rough estimate of when an item will ship. i’m 8 months into a 90 day shipping window with nothing but crickets.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the delay apologists either. Actually communicating about late shipments seems pretty basic.

Some quick napkin math: If roughly 3000 orders were placed since October, and the first batch fulfilled around 200 orders, there’d be around 15 batches. Now a second batch hasn’t actually shipped yet, but the first one went out three weeks ago. If they don’t increase the pace and it takes three weeks between batches it’d be more than ten months before they were through the current orders.

2 Likes

Just ordered. #223XX
black matte, 4g+wifi, non version.

I was told by support that my 195xx ordered on Oct26 would part of the “next batch” and that they are “now preparing it” (after asking further, they said that was being manufactured).

I was told “The second batch should be ready in a couple of weeks, before the end of this month.”. That was Jul18.

After asking further, they said “ready” means “It means that it will be ready for the carrier to collect and ship it”.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s that we’re “delay apologists”, it’s just that some of us have previous experience with ClockworkPi products. The Gameshell and the DevTerm both took a long time to produce and ship out, and at least in terms of the Gameshell by the time they were shipped it wasn’t available to order again for quite a while. So we were basically taught that if you want something they have to sell, then you order it early (or at least before it ships) and then you wait. With previous experience you also know that buying a ClockworkPi product is like funding a Kickstarter – you’ll pay early and you’ll wait. But one day it will show up and you will be impressed, or perhaps even surprised if you had forgotten you ordered it!

Communication has always been poor, at least in terms of announcements and progress updates. Customer service response seems to have been relatively fast though, but I don’t have personal experience with that since I never bothered to contact them. It’s also unclear whether there are language issues, or if they intentionally misrepresent the truth when it comes to reasons for delays or expected shipping, etc.

The thing is, if you’ve received one of their previous products, while the wait may be long and the lack of communication (or poor communication, or false information) can be concerning, you know that the eventual product you receive is high quality, packaged and presented amazingly well, and is worth the wait. It’s also worth noting that the high quality aspect is more applicable to the hardware than the software. While the devices come with working software, every device I’ve bought from ClockworkPi (GameShell and Devterm) was never really good in terms of software until community members fixed the software bugs, created custom OS versions, and documented issues and workarounds. ClockworkPi usually provides working drivers, but the rest of the software tends to be pretty basic, and not without errors. So far though, there has been enough interest and love of these devices in the community for people to contribute and create missing pieces or fix issues. That’s also true for hardware “hacks” and expansion. Personally, I don’t expect ClockworkPi to ever offer anything else to go in the expansion port of the uConsole – they never made anything else but the printer for the DevTerm, either. But community members have. Regardless of marketing, ClockworkPi tends to provide a solid platform for others to build on. A device will work, as shipped, for the most part, but the devices really shine with customizations, hacks, and community fixes.

In cases where their have been hardware issues (or like the recent case where they failed to ship CM4 adapters to some people), they seemingly respond fast (at least if you contact directly) and make good on it for free. There have been posts in the past for both Gameshell and DevTerm where someone received a broken screen or some other broken hardware and they received a free replacement in a timely manner.

While I wish the uConsoles would arrive faster, I’m still confident they will arrive. The Gameshell and the DevTerm eventually arrived.

10 Likes

re: delay apologists, I agree with adcockm here completly but would also like to add additional perspective. I have developed and shipped products via chinese manufacturing pre and post covid.

Not only does the current developement stages take very long in the post pandemic world, but we saw (and waited through) the pre manufacture process which normally happens prior to product announcement. The back and forth between designers and factories rarely warrants a customer communication. And to add to that, normally on the business side (not saying they are following any particular paradigm) the more you say publically, the worse off you will be in response and criticism. The general public thinks they can run every business better than the people in charge. Nothing is perfect. This is my opinion only.

4 Likes

cpi just posted that second batch is about to be packed. it seems that there’s almost a month interval between 1st and 2nd batch, so it may take 4 to 5 months to get mine :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Alex just announced the second batch is shipping soon.

1 Like

They told me this morning that I was batch 3. T_T

2 Likes

What your order number ? This will help know the size of batch 2

1 Like

His order number is 195xx

1 Like

If only Clockwork could be straightforward about their process and we wouldn’t have to guess.

195xx ordered on Oct26

1 Like

Hm, be that as it may, I still haven’t received shipping information.

I’ve got plenty of gadgets, and as an engineer I know what it’s like to try and get a product out so I’m not mad, but I do wish there had been messaging around the fulfillment delays.

1 Like

This is super helpful to know! It looks like batches are currently somewhere around 200 units in size, and it seems to take Clockwork Pi around three weeks to source components for each batch.

Hope they’re able to scale up production, but it’s good to see that the line is moving.

1 Like

“Okay, when do you expect the third batch to begin shipping?” -me

The second batch will be shipped in a couple of days, after that, we will get to the third batch. It is hard to be accurate at this moment, but should be done in a few weeks.
– Clockwork Pi support

:crossed_fingers:

hopefully soon?

4 Likes

What is the use of posting this information? If potential customers are interested in purchasing - they’ll go to the site.
It’s redundant to post within the forums.

1 Like

See the discussion above, they were discussing about availability.

2 Likes