How to get mupen64+ to run?

You will unfortunately need to build a lot of dependencies etc yourself. It doesn’t actually work out of the box. There is a thread that shows you how to do it, however it can be a tad convoluted to follow unless you know how to use a command line.

You’ll also need to update the Lima/Mesa graphics files, and the Kernel if you want it to run half decent. In short, the N64 is something that has been a long time coming, but can actually run, once you get your system configured properly.

I’ve made a custom OS with all of this done for you, however if you feel like configuring it yourself, I’ve also provided links in the original post of my thread pointing you in the right direction.

Regarding file formats, I have also modified the action file of mupen to accept a wider variety of file types. You can even run *.zip, *.7z, *.z64 or any other format you frequently find. Keep in mind, compressed archives sometimes contain a variety of versions of the same rom, eg regional versions and updates. Reading these archives will just play the first one; which is sometimes in Japanese.

1 Like