Mupen64 crashes, PLEASE HELP

I downloaded a Pokemon Stadium rom for the n64, but when I run it on my GameShell using mupen64 the screen goes black and the game crashes. I tried downloading an updated version of mupen64, but for some stupid reason I cannot find it using RetroArch. Is there a way to actually run n64 games on the GameShell?

Hello there! Welcome to the forums.
Seems like youā€™re not alone with trying to get mupen64plus to work.
It needs a whole bunch of dependencies that donā€™t come included.
It doesnā€™t use Retroarch. From what Iā€™ve gathered, they arenā€™t maintaining the Retroarch core anymore for arm7hf. Iā€™ve looked into downloading an older version and running, but havenā€™t had much luck. Iā€™ll keep trying regardless!
Iā€™ve made a post here with a script that should make everything work.

If you have trouble with that, Iā€™ve got a custom image that Iā€™m maintaining with mupen64plus pre installed, along with a bunch of other things.

Of course, this will unfortunately mean wiping everything. So definitely try doing it all manually first.

Re: pokemon stadium in particular, Iā€™m guessing youā€™re using the western release, which is actually the Japanese Pokemon stadium 2.
PokĆ©mon stadium (2) has some texture problems where menu items, and trainee faces appear as garbled text; kind of like MissingNo. This is something I remember happening years ago when trying to emulate it on a PC. I think I was using Project 64 back then. Anyway, menus and trainers aside, the game will run. I havenā€™t thoroughly tested how all the mini games work etc, so do post your findings.

Hmmm. ok. I will see if I can back up the previous image and my PokƩmon saves, and download your image

So, firstly I attempted running your script, through my Macā€™s terminal (after I had sshed into the GameShell, of course ( Ķ”Ā° ĶœŹ– Ķ”Ā°) ), BUT IT STILL CRASHES LIKE BEFORE. Is there a special way you need to execute the program? I feel slightly uneasy reformatting the SD card with your image, especially with my 7 hour PokĆ©mon Yellow saves on there.
Heres what was outputted in my Terminial:

Try typing this into your ssh session:

mupen64plus --resolution 320x240 --fullscreen /home/cpi/games/mupen64/pokemon.n64

(Rename your rom to something simple without spaces for now, otherwise youā€™ll need to type ā€œPokemon\ Stadium\ (USA)\ 1.12.n64ā€ if itā€™s called ā€œPokemon Stadium (USA) 1.12.n64ā€)

It sounds like you ran the script to install the dependencies to completion. Did you try the rest of the script to modify the action.config and config file?

Also check this thread. This person had a similar problem.

Hmmm. I ran the script, and this is what was outputted:
Linux clockworkpi 5.2.0-rc4-clockworkpi-cpi3-00001-gac0d4e8 #1 SMP Mon Jun 17 18:02:55 CST 2019 armv7l

/////_/////_////_
//_
//_//_//__
//_/////_//_
//_
//_//_
/////_//_
_____////_

Welcome to clockworkPi

For more information please visit:
(had to cut out link, new user)

HAPPY HACKING

Last login: Fri Apr 3 18:41:43 2020
cpi@clockworkpi:~$ mupen64plus --resolution 320x240 --fullscreen /home/cpi/games/mupen64/pokemon.n64

| / |_ _ _ __ ___ _ __ / /_ | || | | _ | |_ _ ___
| |/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ | '_ | || || |) | | | | / |
| | | | || | |) | / | | | (_) | | __/| | || __ \
|| ||_,| .
/ _|| ||_/ || || ||_,|_/
|
| https://mupen64plus.org/
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 2.5.9

UI-Console: attached to core library ā€˜Mupen64Plus Coreā€™ version 2.5.9
UI-Console: Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Core: Using full mem base
UI-Console Error: couldnā€™t open ROM file ā€˜/home/cpi/games/mupen64/pokemon.n64ā€™ for reading.
cpi@clockworkpi:~$ mupen64plus --resolution 320x240 --fullscreen /home/cpi/games/mupen64/pokemon.z64

| / |_ _ _ __ ___ _ __ / /_ | || | | _ | |_ _ ___
| |/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ | '_ | || || |) | | | | / |
| | | | || | |) | / | | | (_) | | __/| | || __ \
|| ||_,| .
/ _|| ||_/ || || ||_,|_/
|
| https://mupen64plus.org/
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 2.5.9

UI-Console: attached to core library ā€˜Mupen64Plus Coreā€™ version 2.5.9
UI-Console: Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Core: Using full mem base
Core: Goodname: Pokemon Stadium (E) (V1.1) [!]
Core: Name: POKEMON STADIUM
Core: MD5: 31EE2DE8E65E30F5934C450DBAA924F0
Core: CRC: 91C9E05D AD3AAFB9
Core: Imagetype: .z64 (native)
Core: Rom size: 33554432 bytes (or 32 Mb or 256 Megabits)
Core: Version: 1449
Core: Manufacturer: Nintendo
Core: Country: Unknown (0x150)
UI-Console Status: Cheat codes disabled.
UI-Console: using Video plugin: ā€˜Mupen64Plus OpenGL Video Plugin by Riceā€™ v2.5.9
UI-Console: using Audio plugin: ā€˜Mupen64Plus SDL Audio Pluginā€™ v2.5.9
UI-Console: using Input plugin: ā€˜Mupen64Plus SDL Input Pluginā€™ v2.5.9
UI-Console: using RSP plugin: ā€˜Hacktarux/Azimer High-Level Emulation RSP Pluginā€™ v2.5.9
Core: input plugin did not specify a render callback; there will be no on screen display by the input plugin.
Input: 0 SDL joysticks were found.
Input: N64 Controller #1: Using manual config with no SDL joystick (keyboard/mouse only)
Input: 1 controller(s) found, 1 plugged in and usable in the emulator
Input Warning: Couldnā€™t open rumble support for joystick #1
Input Warning: Couldnā€™t open rumble support for joystick #2
Input Warning: Couldnā€™t open rumble support for joystick #3
Input Warning: Couldnā€™t open rumble support for joystick #4
Input: Mupen64Plus SDL Input Plugin version 2.5.9 initialized.
RSP: RSP Fallback disabled !
Core: Using video capture backend: dummy
Core: Game controller 0 (Standard controller) has a Memory pak plugged in
Core: Game controller 1 (Standard controller) has a Memory pak plugged in
Core: Game controller 2 (Standard controller) has a Memory pak plugged in
Core: Game controller 3 (Standard controller) has a Memory pak plugged in
Core: Using CIC type X103
Video: Disabled SSE processing.
Video: ROM (CRC 5de0c991b9af3aad-50) not found in INI file
Video: Initializing OpenGL Device Context.
Core Error: SDL video subsystem init failed: No available video device
Core Status: Rom closed.
cpi@clockworkpi:~$

I will also run the installation script again

Ah!! This was was an assumption, but are you using clockwork OS 0.5? Iā€™m not sure what new gameshells ship with, but if you didnā€™t flash a new image, thereā€™s a chance youā€™re not using 0.5. That resign of the OS introduced some fixes allowing the Lima drivers to work better.

It will still run on 0.4. It just will be ridiculously slow.

Hm. ill try to update it

Ok. so there was an update I will try againā€¦

Also, is it possible to run DS/2DS/3DS games on the GameShell?

So, I updated the OS to the latest version, ran the ā€œmupen64plus --resolution 320x240 --fullscreen /home/cpi/games/mupen64/pokemon.n64ā€ script but it still crashes.
At this point I am willing to wipe the SD card and burn your custom launcher into it.

Donā€™t forget thereā€™s an edit button. :wink:
Do you know what Kernel youā€™re using? You need to be using at least 5.3.6. If you have Clockwork OS 0.5, then youā€™ll have it. I wasnā€™t quite sure what you meant in your post re ā€œSo there was an updateā€ - But keep in mind, a lot of people seem to have trouble with the update from 0.4 - 0.5

Okay. So the updating of the OS to the latest version. That ALSO doesnā€™t include mupen installed correctly. Youā€™ll still need to install the scripts I mentioned before. The command line I gave you was assuming that the script installed it to the /usr/local space. The mupen included with the stock image is not stored there, so it wonā€™t work. It didnā€™t crash per se; rather, just returned to the launcher, since it couldnā€™t find the file you were referencing.

You can definitely save your saves etc from all your other games, for when you write a new image. You can also just go and buy a spare SD micro card for fairly cheap. They even sell them at my local post office.

Yes you can play DS games. Just keep in mind, youā€™ll need to reconfigure a lot of it yourself, potentially connecting it to an HDMI display in order to read the UI font, because itā€™s so small.
It wonā€™t be able to play any 3DS or 2DS games. Heck, my MacBook pro can barely keep up with emulating 3DS/2DS, so I doubt the gameshell would fare any better.

At this stage, judging by the number of problems that are plaguing you, it might just be easier to try my custom image. It also has a DS emulator pre installed.

Hopefully youā€™ll get it working.

Thanks for all of your help. Oh, and by ā€œthere was a updateā€, I meant there was an update to the Launcher. The version I am running now is stable 1.25. I have a few micro SDs lying around, so I will probably burn the custom launcher into one of them.
TYSM

Ok. so two hours ago, I have been trying to install your custom OS on the GameShell, BUT for some reason I cannot burn the actually image into the SD card. I canā€™t find a software that can actually flash the image into the card, probably bc I am on Mac and when I wipe the card it is still in FAT16. Any recommendations?

One that lots of people here use is Balena Etcher.

You will also need to decompress the .gz file to have an .img file ready to write.

I personally use either Apple pi baker, or a command prompt. But use what everyone else uses first.

I think I know what youā€™re trying to do. Are you just copying files to the SD card? This image doesnā€™t do that, although seeing as some other distributions for other devices can, it could be something to look into! Eg NOOBS on raspberry pi. You shouldnā€™t have to format your card. The image will overwrite everything, sector by sector on the card, including partition tables.

Ok. So what the problem was was that when I went into Balena Etcher, I thought the SD card that I had plugged in was my computers hard drive. But now that I looked up the SD card and saw that it was disk3, I finally realized that the disk in Balena Etcher was my SD. Besides, by default the program does not allow you to flash to your HDD unless dangerous mode is enabled. I was so stupid :drooling_face:

1 Like