How to install PICO-8 on GameShell

Ah darn. Picked it up after a few days, I get the locking too. Mind you, it keeps running, but keys are unresponsive. You can actually see it if you launch a game fast enough - it keeps on running but keys don’t work.

This is just epic.

Best Pico-8 games
AND GO

Come again now? char limit

Haha I mean like “what are the best games on Pico-8!”

AND GO! Lol

Has anyone found a perfect fullscreen res yet? I’m not around my computer so I can’t mess around

1 Like

This is a good list of Pico-8 games: https://www.playpico.com/

(Forum thread about the list: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27847)

The site doesn’t make it immediately obvious how to download each game for local play, but nearly every game has a link to the BBS thread where the author first posted the game. You can click “Cart” there to get the PNG file.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a great resource! Pity it doesn’t have an RSS feed…

Installed and launched Pico-8, but the config files aren’t being created when I do so. I’m also not getting the launch chime when I launch Pico-8. Anyone know how to fix this, or link me to a config directory I could copy? Thanks :smiley:

Thanks to everyone here. Another Pico-8 up and working on the GS.

Instructions were excellent. I ended up with broken links 'cause I was being fancy with the directories. I went back, slowed down, and it was easy to find where I went wrong. Thanks for the excellent work making this clear. Played for about 10min to check inputs, etc. Works great, no issues on my updated launcher system. I did have 1 game out of 10 crash on me, but I figured that was par.

PICO-8 is a sweet program I just discovered due to these forums, so I can’t wait to find the next cool thing to stumble onto with the GS. I’m hoping that Lexaloffle picks up GameShell where they left off with CHIP. Did someone say custom GS build? Yeah, it was me.

How about Voxatron? Wonder if GS could even run that thing…

1 Like

heya!

this wont work on v0.21

im stuck without icon to select on menu.

after a little jump on fillezilla seems folder architecture have changed. for the rest im not enougth smart to understand how to do.

cheers.

Place the icon file in the same folder with the launcher script. If they have the same name, they’ll work together.

1 Like

found a way to correct it.

the good command for 0.21 are

echo >~/launcher/Menu/GameShell/PICO-8.sh SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 DISPLAY=:0 /home/cpi/pico-8/pico8_dyn -splore -draw_rect 32,0,256,240

i do it and i got my icon on menu.

custom icon are to put in

/home/cpi/launcher/skin/default/Menu/GameShell

a small PS

cpi@clockworkpi:~/apps/Menu/50_PICO-8$ ls
pico8  pico8.dat  pico8_dyn  PICO-8.png  PICO-8.sh

in os v0.21 ,already installed wiringPI for pico-8

so like above ,create a folder with name of 50_PICO-8 ← here the 50_ is for the order in launcher ,but not necessarily
PICO-8.png is the icon
PICO-8.sh is where to start pico-8
They all have the same name as the directory, but different extensions

from v0.2x, launcher can read items from ~/apps/Menu, doing so will facilitate future data migration , launcher switching

cpi@clockworkpi:~/apps/Menu/50_PICO-8$ cat PICO-8.sh 
#!/bin/bash

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 DISPLAY=:0 ./pico8_dyn -splore -draw_rect 32,0,256,240

chmod +x PICO-8.sh

2 Likes

really working well meow :slight_smile:

I found that installation is very easy with launcher 1.24.

Just place archive pico-8_0.1.11g_raspi.zip inside directory /home/cpi/games/PICO-8.

That’s all)

I receive my GameShell and Pico 8 is awesome on it :slight_smile: but with my config (rebuild from 0.3 image sd card and last launcher 1.24) i have some instability: All is ok in first run after reboot but if i play some games in pico8 and quit pico8 to return to launcher when i try to restart Pico8 i have a black screen and i stuck: i can only reboot GameShell.

For someone that have the same trouble i find that if i force the size of windows in pico8 config file that correct the trouble for me. Here the change:

Edit the file ~/.lexaloffle/pico-8/config.txt (in ssh with nano)

change the line
window_size 0 0
to
window_size 320 240

Save and that it

2 Likes

I still can’t get Pico 8 to run dropped the zip file in the directory. Edited the config file for the screen size. Nothing still a black screen and straight back to the ui.

Did you keep the zip file exactly the same as when you downloaded it from the Lexaloffle/Humble Bundle site? Exact same filename, extension, and case?

And you’re copying it to /home/cpi/games/PICO-8 ?

Yeah I sure did nothing has changed

Did you try to launch it twice? The first launch leads straight back to the UI, the second launch should actually run PICO-8.
Also, maybe your config is messed up. Simply delete config.txt. Launch PICO-8, wait a little. Then close it. It should create a fresh config file on shutdown. Check if config.txt exists now and isn’t empty. Does it work now?

谢谢你的教程。
我购买并下载了 https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php 之后
将下载好的pico-8_0.1.11g_raspi.zip 放进我的gameshell\home\cpi\games\pico-8目录下
直接进入已经升级到 clockworkOS v0.3的pico-8中,自动运行就搞定了。
这个方法可以帮助不会使用linux的同学。

谢谢你的教程,:pray:

2 Likes