I3 for uConsole

Hi

I’ve uploaded my i3wm configuration to GitHub for community to play around with. Just follow the link https://github.com/dzaczek/Uconsole-i3/ . Please keep in mind that it’s still under development, so there might be a few bugs here and there. Enjoy experimenting!

14 Likes

Hi there – finally got around to trying this – some notes from your instructions:

open /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/desktop.conf and change windows_manager to i3

This file doesn’t exist on my stock A06 uConsole – newly flashed the latest image to a new SD card.

The directory /etc/xdg exists, but lxsession directory doesn’t exist.

last comment:

sudo apt install apt-get install maim xclip copyq xdotool

apt install / apt-get install looks duplicated / etc.

Followed the instructions as best as I could – I created the above folder / file that didn’t exist – but no log getting i3 working. Ideas?

Cheers,
Jeff

HI

What is contained in the /etc/xdg directory on your device?"
and yes you have right there is typo word double apt

sudo apt install maim xclip copyq xdotool

Currently the following in /etc/xdg:

drwxr-xr-x   8 root root  4096 Jun 17  2022 .
drwxr-xr-x 147 root root 12288 Oct 27 15:17 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Oct 27 14:18 autostart
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Oct 27 14:14 menus
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  1444 Jan 12  2018 pamix.conf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Jun 17  2022 systemd
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Jun 17  2022 Thunar
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   414 Mar 25  2022 user-dirs.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   418 Mar 25  2022 user-dirs.defaults
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  4096 Oct 27 14:13 xfce4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Oct 27 14:14 Xwayland-session.d

I think I finally figured out that this is for the RPi version of uConsole – I have the A06 version.

For the A06 version, I was able to just: sudo apt install i3 and i3 was there and working – the one thing that needed to be done was to rotate the screen – which your i3 config does:

#uconsole rotate
exec --no-startup-id xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate right

Cheers,
Jeff

Perfect good job I was afraid there is wayland and not supporting i3 . But looks fine I added some wallpapers generated by midjourney and the most important thing battery level script you can find in block scripts . I will add you workaround to GitHub :slight_smile:

wow, love the colors

1 Like

Thanks I generated this wallpaper by ai , In wallp directory there is more wallpapers

already clone the repo and using the wallpaper now :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve followed your scripts to change the window_manager to I3 in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/desktop.conf, but the mutter still comes, and overlap on the screen, I could use the comond of i3, but the whole screen is covered with mutter dasktop

That didn’t work for me either – I’d suggest changing the desktop.conf back to mutter and then just edit

~/.dmrc

and change

[Desktop]
Session=lightdm-xsession

to

[Desktop]
Session=i3

and reboot

Maybe the author forgot one thing below.
After changing the mutter to i3, remember to edit the file “/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart”, and comment the top two lines (lxpanel and pcmanfm).

Hope this may help those who have this issue.

1 Like

Hi yest you have totally right i made dumy mistake and i frgotten about this one file

I wrote the documentation from memory and I forgot about it.

1 Like

…mind if i ask what this i3 is

i3 is a minimalist, tiling window manager designed for Linux systems, emphasizing efficiency and keyboard-driven operations. Unlike traditional window managers, i3 places windows in a non-overlapping, grid-like pattern, maximizing screen real estate and allowing for easy navigation and organization using keyboard shortcuts. It’s highly customizable, appealing to users who enjoy a clean, efficient, and streamlined computing environment.

Would this be available for pi os

It working on any Linux os

1 Like

Or, if you want to try wayland, you can also install Sway Compositor via apt, and it uses a similar configuration syntax and keyboard-driven flow.

The big question for both of them is how to get usable key bindings. I don’t want to use Alt or control as a modifier because this will conflict with application key bindings. It’s better to use Super, which applications don’t tend to use.

I am experimenting with xkb to try to do a couple of things:

• swap the key bindings of alt and super
  • make modifier keys (ctrl and alt in particular) sticky

I think these changes would really make sway or i3 quite usable on this device with its full keyboard and small screen.

Ideally I would tweak the keyboard firmware, however, as the behavior of the fn key is hard-coded into the keyboard firmware. I would rather handle this at the xkb level.