I'm working up a new DevTerm CM3 image

I’m working up a new DevTerm CM3 image, what would yall like in a minimal starting point? At the moment I’ve got a few major things:

1. @foriequal0 's keyboard/trackball firmware
  2. lightdm greeter with a session selector
  3. minimal gui program footprint. ie, no games or IDEs like the existing one
  4. i3 window manager with compton compositor

Along with a bunch of other little stuff I didn’t keep good enough track of on my first pass. But what would be key to a STARTING image for you. ie, something you would use as a base for your own usecases?

1 Like

the printer drivers would be cool.
I’d personally go for openbox + tint2 because it doesn’t get much lighter than that,

1 Like

probably a bit easier for most people to get started with openbox than i3 too, and I think it also supports compton, etc. I was going to include all the og drivers, or did you mean the fancy kernel driver?

I’m also hoping someone has a fix for the display offset on rpi3. I see a fix for one of the A modules, but that’s it so far.

1 Like

I think I’ve found the file I would need to edit, and it seems like the values for the CM3 effectively match the ones for the A04. But I’d still need to learn the kernel build pipeline to get an updated copy =/

Anyways, here are the two files for posterity.

DevTerm CM3 Default Version

+static const struct drm_display_mode default_mode = {
+ .clock = 54465,
+ .hdisplay = 480,
+ .hsync_start = 480 + 150,
+ .hsync_end = 480 + 150 + 24,
+ .htotal = 480 + 150 + 24 + 40,
+ .vdisplay = 1280,
+ .vsync_start = 1280 + 12,
+ .vsync_end = 1280 + 12+ 6,
+ .vtotal = 1280 + 12 + 6 + 10,
+ .vrefresh = 60,
+ .flags = 0,
+};

DevTerm A06 Custom Version

+static const struct drm_display_mode default_mode = {
+ .clock = 54465,
+ .hdisplay = 485,
+ .hsync_start = 485 + 150,
+ .hsync_end = 485 + 150 + 24,
+ .htotal = 485 + 150 + 24 + 40,
+ .vdisplay = 1280,
+ .vsync_start = 1280 + 12,
+ .vsync_end = 1280 + 12 + 6,
+ .vtotal = 1280 + 12 + 6 + 10,
+};
1 Like

For anyone curious on where this stands:

• No luck yet on converting upstream raspbian to support the display, etc.
  • I’ve got my DevTerm itself up to Debian 11 (bullseye)

If I can get the DevTerm all the way up to Debian 12 (bookwork) with everything working, I might investigate making a “fresh” image from that.

2 Likes

Best of luck. I’d certainly love to use this if you’re successful.

1 Like

We’re up to bookworm! I just need to fix the first launch wizard =D

This is not the full version mentioned in comment one yet, it’s just an upgrade of the stock image with libreoffice and all the IDEs stripped out, but still a big jump!

2 Likes

Anyone here know how piwiz changes the default user in a Raspberry Pi OS installation?

I’ve got everything booting up correctly and even changing the pi user to the user name you specify, but it keeps booting into rpi-first-boot-wizard instead of the new username.

Working up an alternative first boot wouldn’t be terrible, but I’d rather get it working with upstream.

Ok, the beat goes on.

I’ve got a conversion of raspios bookworm that seems to be working fine for everything*. I’ve got the basics of script up on github, but it’s not exactly follow along/ready to be run just yet. Now that I’ve had a successful build I need to script it all up.

Here are the key points if you want to take a swing:

• Add the clockworkpi repos
  • Distupgrade everything
  • Remove linux-image-rpi-v8:arm64
  • Remove linux-image-6.1.0-rpi8*
  • Copy the libwiringPi files to /usr/lib/
  • chroot_helper will help setup the chroot and get you into it
  • chroot_history.out.sh has the command run within the chroot

Everything in this case meaning everything that doesn’t rely on python2, so no fan control until that gets updated to python3

Ok, this can now just be run as a script. Download the package from github to a raspberrypi 3 already running a rasbian based OS. Grab a copy of the most recent 32bit Raspios and point makecm3devterm.sh at it. How long it takes depends on how much you put on the Pi.

• ~20 minutes if you download and decompress the .img on another computer first and don’t run it on the SD card
  • ~35 minutes if you download it direct to the raspberry pi and don’t run it on the SD card
  • ~45 minutes if you download it direct to the raspberry pi and run it on the SD card

Huh, some of my last pushes seem to have broken lightdm, I’m still not clear on why =/