It needs a case!

One that says “Don’t Panic” written in large,friendly letters. It would be neat to include a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy database, just for fun.

6 Likes

The 3D printed cover for the DevTerm works great. Hope someone comes up with one for the uConsole also.

3 Likes

A nice leather case would be great, aluminum dents pretty easy, or that’s just a MacBook problem.

1 Like

The uConsole does seem more sturdy through metal casing and actual screws though, don’t you think?

What I like about the design with front and back plates is that we could extend the center section using a printed piece and longer screws to fit more stuff into the case.
I’m envisioning a GPIO pinout and a physical serial port breakout with FTDI chip inside the case for programming all sorts of microcontrollers.

The keyboard uses spring loaded POGO pins to connect, so you may need to add some pass-through contacts in your print if you add spacer like that.

Personally i would like a hard plastic snap-on dust cover like they use on Texas Instruments calculators.

2 Likes

Good point. Dust cover sounds useful, I may whip one up in CAD once I get my uConsole, test print and post it online.

2 Likes

The one created for the DevTerm works great. It isn’t that complex and it does protect the keyboard/display when I throw it all in my bag.

Do you have a link for it?
Edit: It’s this? Printables

I had a 4GB copy of Wikipedia installed on a Gen 1 iPod Touch back in the day.

And you still manage to work on the phone? Didn’t the phone slow do, slowing in opening the apps, low memory?

It worked just fine. The archive was stored on the eMMC, not RAM, and didn’t take up all of the available storage space. As far as I’m aware browsing the archive wasn’t any more processor intensive than visiting a webpage.

Well, you had a memory card if I understand correctly that’s why you weren’t having any problems with the phone.

The iPod Touch didn’t have an SD card slot, but there’s a difference between the onboard storage and RAM. I think it had something like 8GB or 16GB of onboard storage and 128 MB of RAM.

Having the Wikipedia viewer installed (this was pre-App Store when all apps were jailbreak apps) wasn’t any different than having a movie or a bunch of pictures in storage. No impact on performance when it’s not running, and computers have been good at retrieving information from databases for a long time.

Heck, before that I had a Wikipedia Archive installed on an iPod Nano 2G. Aside from text entry on a scroll wheel, it was very snappy despite running on potato hardware.

Clockworkpi has a 3d file for the Gameshell. Not sure about the other devices.

I for one am having my GF make me one. We’ll see how it goes. Don’t want it turning out like every single aluminum MacBook, dented corners and deep scratches everywhere. (I fix them for $$, I don’t use apple products lol)
But yea, it would be pretty cool if someone could make a case with that in mind. Maybe 3D printed or with cloth like a laptop case, something that goes around the edges. Ideally something that doesn’t need to be taken off when you use the uConsole. Like a phone case. Or a protective sleeve.

There were some for the DevTerm from memory.

Yes there are. Here are for the game shell:

here for the DevTerm:

The uConsole will likely be released at some point.

2 Likes

Do filament printers print these parts fairly well? Not sure if it is a filament/resin argument or a pricepoint question for 3D printers.

Heh, it depends

The game shell front shell on my badly calibrated (at the time) ender 3 did print ok, same for the thumb locking screw.
I would say with FDM most part would print ok, some may be a bit fragile, but need a properly calibrated printer.

Though of course, transparent part will not print with FDM, but if you have a SLA printer, the transparent bit should be doable.

2 Likes

You can still print transparent with filaments like PETG

Printables here these guys managed to make it as transparent as glass.

1 Like

Don’t think you can get the level of transparency you need with FDM