Large Capacity Batteries in uConsole

Hey there. I know the topic of supported batteries has been discussed here before, but I didn’t find any discussions specifically about high capacity 18650 cells. I see a few listings that claim to have ~10,000 mah capacities for a single 18650 cell. Obviously on first sight this seems like a dream for battery life in something like the uConsole, but was unsure if this was actually the case. Most of the 18650 cells I see online are far less than this capacity, so I was a little confused. Does anyone have any experience with these large Capacity cells and their compatibility with the uConsole?

Here’s a listing I found on Amazon as an example of what I’m talking about: CPZZ 3.7V 18650 Rechargeable Battery, 9900mAh, 3.7 Volt Lithium for Doorbells, Headlamps, Flashlights & More (8 PCS, Flat Top) https://a.co/d/9Cz8DMV

1 Like

Amazon is terrible for batteries (in terms of bring ‘legit’). Those batteries are $3.75 each, which is the same to half the cost of legitimate batteries at a third of the amperage.

I’ve been getting batteries over at 18650 Batteries - IMR Batteries for years, for projects, vape rigs, camera equipment, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! What about protected vs unprotected? Does it matter for the uConsole?

That battery looks like a fake. The very best ones have 3500 or so mah capacity. I would not buy from ama

2 Likes

Protected batteries have components and logic on-battery, to detect heat and pressure. which means less room for actual battery. Unprotected tend to be the higher capacity batteries, and are safe to use with the uConsole (as long as you don’t do something dumb with your charge rates in software).

1 Like

There is a great video from Project Farm about these cheap scam batteries that claim stupidly high capacities.

2 Likes

As a Chinese people, I would like to say, DO NOT TRUST THOSE BATTERIES!!!
For 18650 cells, 3500mAh will be the max.

3 Likes